t bar crank question (alignment)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

t bar crank question (alignment)

Post by ace »

If I crank the t bars up as far as I can without bottoming them out will the front be way higher than the back? I plan on putting on the boise spring kit but just not yet and I don't want to do two alignments so I want to crank up the t bars as much as possible now when I put my tires on. So can I get away with one t bar crank without it looking to high in the front?

Hope you guys follow me on this one.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

How high is the rear above the front now?
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

barch97 wrote:How high is the rear above the front now?
I'd say the back is about an inch higher than the front right now.
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I think you helped me answer my own question now when I think about it. I'll crank up the T's now and they only give about an inch so when I put the boise spring kit on it it will be about an inch and half higher in the rear again.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You did answer your question.
The crank will level it to slightly higher in the front. Adding the BSW kit will bring it right back to how it looked before the crank. At least that is how it worked out for me :mg:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Once you crank the torsion bars you will need an alignment right away, unless you don't care about your tires wearing down real quick. :wink:

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Thanks guys!
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

So, when I did my TB crank, I was only able to crank up my passenger side up by 4 & 1/2 turns. On the driver side, I would have been able to go up a total of 9 turns, although I only did the 4.5 turns. While looking at the passenger side in frustration, I noticed the second lower indentation on the TB adjustment arm, which is where my question comes into play. Has anyone, or could you, manuever the bolt into this lower indentation to increase the effect of the TB crank?

I know that there is only so much room for the arm to raise up before it hits the top of the bar, but it is just a thought. I wanted to get the maximum allowed out of the TB crank this week before I order those new rims and tires.

And to quote one of my old college professors---"The only stupid questions are the ones that were never asked". So be gentle on me if this is a stupid question as I have never fooled with a TB suspension system. I am used to the coil/leaf systems & motorcycles.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Not a stupid question at all, and one that can save you money in the future.

Several companies make TB Keys, which alter the stock position of the Torsion bar, allowing for more lift. It's best, and I'm sure most will agree with me, that you stick to the stock torsion bar adjustment limits. Anything beyond that and you risk wearing down/damaging your CV joints, and having CV boots come of.

My torsion bars were already cranked to the limit of the stock adjustments when I bought the truck. I've had one boot sling grease, and one come off. Both had to be replaced. At $100+ a pop, it can get expensive. So if you can have trouble at the limits of the stock adjustments, altering the stock adjustments can cause you major problems.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:twisted:So, I guess I'm at the limit of the truck's TB system for now, unless I feel like really testing the water. :angel:

Anyway, Thanks Walt. Did you, or anyone else on the forum, just replace the boot or the whole assembly? I found both the replacement boots and assemblies. However, most were just remanufactered pieces. I also found a "Dorman Quick Split Boot" which you "chemically bond", (glue), the two halves together deleting the removal of the entire assembly. Has anyone tried this as a replacement or is it just a patch type item for temporary use to limp the truck home?

I just wish we could get that better 4x4 look without having to do either the BL or SL.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:

Anyway, Thanks Walt. Did you, or anyone else on the forum, just replace the boot or the whole assembly? I found both the replacement boots and assemblies. However, most were just remanufactered pieces. I also found a "Dorman Quick Split Boot" which you "chemically bond", (glue), the two halves together deleting the removal of the entire assembly. Has anyone tried this as a replacement or is it just a patch type item for temporary use to limp the truck home?

I just wish we could get that better 4x4 look without having to do either the BL or SL.

I've not come across a thread on the split boot but, it is probably out there. If, a boot comes off an easy fix is a large hose clamp. It has worked well for HenryJ and others.

A TB crank and the AAL (add a leaf), spring pack or shackles will make you feel a little better about your truck. It all depends on what you plan on doing with your truck. AALs or a spring pack to help will towing and carrying loads. Shackles for offroad uses where articulation is required. To just get it out of it's stock wimpy appearance, a TB crank and shackles is the cheapest way to go.

I have to warn you though.......once you start modding with ideas from here it gets addictive. I traded a 97 ZR2 for the crew cab and after "many" yrs offroading at the taxpayer's expense, I had no ambition to offroad again :!:

All wanted was exactly what you are asking for. Please help me make it look like a truck. I had people asking me if it was a 2 WD!

I screwed up and found this site :lol: It's now 22 months later and I am over $8K poorer and loving it :lol:

8K wouldn't even buy a decent Sportster. Off roading is fun when it isn't required of you :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:...I noticed the second lower indentation on the TB adjustment arm, which is where my question comes into play. Has anyone, or could you, manuever the bolt into this lower indentation to increase the effect of the TB crank?
That second indentation is for the torsion bar unloading tool. There is a corresponding hole on the top of the crossmember to complete the interface.
"The only stupid questions are the ones that were never asked".
A very wise quote.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I beg to differ with you about the Sportster remark for $8k. You can have a fantastic one of a kind Sportster for ~$8K. I got a 2000 Sportster XLH-Bought the 883, ($6,200 new), then the 1200+cc engine upgrade for ~$800, and I currently have lowering shocks, Bassani chopper exhaust, and custom intake (all for <$850) sitting at my house waiting to be put on, (It all got delivered this week).

As for the truck, I was just hoping to get more out of the TB Crank before I do the AAL or shackle. I have a good custom spring shop in town that can make me any size leafs/shackles or as many as I want without a big hassle. My brother had them fix a couple broken springs on an S-10 Blazer that he use to have, and they make custom leafs/shackles everyday. I do haul more than off road with it, so probably the leafs are the way to go. I haul a lot of wood, 19 foot camper, lumber/home supplies, etc, etc. I mainly only offroad the truck in farm pasture and some woods while I'm hunting. However, if I really want to offroad or fetch a deer, I can use the 2006 Yamaha Kodiak 450 4x4 fourwheeler I just bought two months ago.

And by the way, I'm already addicted. I'm placing my order for the Centerline 15x8 wheels and 30x9.5 tires in the next couple days. I also found the chrome stainless step bars I've been wanting, and have been looking at building a speaker box, (I got an amp and 12" woofer from my old truck that I may try to cram behind the seat).
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alot of people that join the forum seem to be against Body Lifts, but we quickly assimilate them. :) Resistance is Futile :) Take a look at my truck, F9K9's, HenryJ's, etc.... in the gallery for pics. We all have Body lifts. Add a set of rock sliders or nerf bars, some gap guards, and no one will ever know. :)
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

WVHogRider wrote:I beg to differ with you about the Sportster remark for $8k.

My bad, I apologize :oops: I work with some owners of HDs and they had me believing that most approached 20K

Here are a few pics with just a TB crank and 1.5" shackles. I dumped the ZR5 wheels on a willing victim :wink: There is no BL yet in these photos.

BTW..... do you know what a rottwieller(SP?) and a HD have in commom?
They both ride in the back of pick up trucks :lol: :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

F9K9: :lol: :lol: The bigger harleys cost that much new or you can put that much into a sportster, or any scoot for that matter, with the run of the mill parts that everyone else bought from HD. But just like with our trucks-Take your time, figure out how you want it to look, and see how others have safely mod'd their equipment--Then go about modding yours. Now I can outrun some of those Big Bad Big Twins--I now cruise in 3rd gear at 60 mph with two gears to grab. :hehe: Plus I'll probably do a custom paint job on it this winter.

I guess I'll check into a BL or SL in a couple months, after the new rim/tires and step bars get put on. I can't do everything right away. :nana:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Hold off on the step/nerf bars until you make up your mind on a BL. You don't want to raise them if, you do decide on a BL.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

f9k9 wrote:Hold off on the step/nerf bars until you make up your mind on a BL. You don't want to raise them if, you do decide on a BL.
Why not? :?
--Walt
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I would hold off on tires also. If you lift your truck your tires will likely be to small.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Walt wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Hold off on the step/nerf bars until you make up your mind on a BL. You don't want to raise them if, you do decide on a BL.
Why not? :?
I see your point f9k9, but I might as well go ahead and install the step bars. It could be a month or it could be a year or so before I actually get around to doing a lift. I could use the bars now for my 5yr daughter to get in and out easier. Plus it's only three bolts that would need adjusted later.
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Steve2003 wrote:I would hold off on tires also. If you lift your truck your tires will likely be to small.
:lol: I've had 3 different sized tires (31,32, and now 33's) on my truck and they're ALWAYS too small.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

I also see your point, but I'm ridin on 0 tread up front, and 1/16 tread out back. No choice but to buy tires. :bonk: The fronts are actually starting to resemble NASCAR tires, with a couple blister spots as well. Plus I don't really want to go too much bigger than the 30x9.5s anyway.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:The fronts are actually starting to resemble NASCAR tires, with a couple blister spots as well.
:lol: Yeah you better get some tires! :shock: Sounds like the best mod for you at the time! :D

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

BFG's! BFG's! BFG's! BFG's! BFG's! BFG's! BFG's! BFG's!

If you haven't noticed, I'm a big fan of BFGoodrich tires. All Terrain TA/KO's in particular. :lol:
--Walt
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

Most likely BFG's :D But thinking MT's not AT's. Or the Wrangler MT/R's.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

WVHogRider wrote:Most likely BFG's :D But thinking MT's not AT's. Or the Wrangler MT/R's.
Good choice either way. I've heard good things about the MTR's too :)
--Walt
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:Or the Wrangler MT/R's.
8) More expensive than the BFG's, but they are much better off road and more puncture resistant. :D I'm on my second set and wouldn't even consider getting another tire. :wink: I got over 50k out of my last set! :D

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

:D :D :D Just got off the phone with Centerline. They will sell the wheels directly to me, as all the dealers near me quit carrying them. Will order them next week once I'm back in town. :drool: :offtopic: But I don't care!!!!!!!!
border man
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by border man »

Another alternative to the MT/Rs would be the firestone Destination MTs. We have started running on our rides at work(extreme use) and they are holding up as well if not better than the Good-for-one year. :lol: From experience, I would stay away from the BF MTs, they did not fare well here.
[size=75]I didn't do it, it was already like that when I got it.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I thought this was a t bar crank thread. :offtopic:

P.S. BFG's Rock! :wink:
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Steve2003 wrote:I thought this was a t bar crank thread. :offtopic:
Good point :)
Steve2003 wrote:P.S. BFG's Rock! :wink:
Even better one. :) Woot woot!
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Even Better is if, they made them in 33/10.50s........Geolanders (Yokohomas) ROCKImage
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
--Walt