steering issues after lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

steering issues after lift

Post by ace »

Ok, after I installed my lift, cranked the tbars, and got new tires I've noticed on the highway I'm constantly making small corrections in steering. I had an alignment done and it's not like it's going to one side all the time but I've just noticed I'm always making real small corrections. Anyone have any idea? Anything I should check? Would a steering stabilzer help?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Steering Stabalizer cures the problem created by larger tires. Go the Super Lift website and look up one for W/O OEM stabalizer. $54 to your door.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Ace, would you happen to have the printout from your alignment showing the specs they set it at? A steering stabilizer will help a little, but it sounds like something else is going on. The factory idler arm is very weak and wears out real fast. :roll: With 84k on my CC, I am on my 2nd factory style GM idler arm and that one is even staring to develope some play. :x I have a new MOOG idler arm and pitman arm waiting to be installed one of these days. The GM parts aren't very good! :wink:

Steve
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

Both of my blazers have had sloppy steering... there was a thread going on on ZR2.com about swapping steering shafts (or something like that) with a Cherokee. I'll search and see if i can find it.

IMO, it's par for the course when owning one of these trucks.

Edit: well this wasn't the one i was thinking of, but it accomplishes the same thing (with less effort it looks like):

http://66.221.218.45/cgi-bin/ultimatebb ... 894#000013
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

killian96ss wrote:Ace, would you happen to have the printout from your alignment showing the specs they set it at?

Steve
I have the printout but it doesn't show the specs. I might go back and just see if it's the alignment again. I'll bring my receipt and explain what's going on. I would think they would recheck it for free. I'll also ask them to look at the idler arm too. I have about 40k on my 2003. It really just might be the fact that the center of gravity has changed and the steering issues are enhanced from imperfections in the road, wind, etc..
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Here are the alignment specs I use on my CC! :D

Left Front Camber -0.1°
Right Front Camber -0.1°
Left Front Caster +2.3°
Right Front Caster +2.6°
Left Toe 0.00°
Right Toe -0.03°
Total Toe -0.02°
Steer Ahead -0.02°

These specs give me perfect tire wear and good handling! :wink:
The Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar bushings help also!

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Jigg wrote:... there was a thread going on on ZR2.com about swapping steering shafts (or something like that) with a Cherokee. I'll search and see if i can find it.
Nix that one. NOT a good idea- Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY
Adding a third joint unsupported is looking for trouble.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

HenryJ wrote:Adding a third joint unsupported is looking for trouble.
Yep, it could bind up on you at the worst possible time and cause a crash. :shock:

Steve
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ wrote:
Jigg wrote:... there was a thread going on on ZR2.com about swapping steering shafts (or something like that) with a Cherokee. I'll search and see if i can find it.
Nix that one. NOT a good idea- Tight and responsive steering: Another How-To! YAY
Adding a third joint unsupported is looking for trouble.
Man after reading that one I need a beer. My only question though does Borgeson make a steering shaft for the crew? I think ultimitely I will put on a steering stabilizer and see how that feels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ace wrote:Man after reading that one I need a beer. My only question though does Borgeson make a steering shaft for the crew? I think ultimitely I will put on a steering stabilizer and see how that feels.
You'll need one anyway with larger tires. Brules method is the correct way to go in doing one but, we all are not that skilled in replacing suspension/sterring parts and the stabalizer is a pretty simple mod. I was wandering with my 33s just as HJ warned me that I would. The stabilizer cleared mine up. I hope it does yours as well :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]