ZR2 Suspension lift questions

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

ZR2 Suspension lift questions

Post by x_lowrider »

Split topic-HJ

i know this is a crew cab forum but, i have a question about the 5 inch BDS for the Zr2. I'll make it quick. Does the kit come with everything you need? Anybody run into any problems? I want to run 33x10.50s on stock ZR5 wheels. Will they rub a lot? They call for a 32x12.50 with 4 inch bs. Thanks
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Send Ben (bwenny247) a pm, he has a BDS lift on his truck.
Welcome to the site :D
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

x_lowrider wrote:i know this is a crew cab forum but, i have a question about the 5 inch BDS for the Zr2. I'll make it quick. Does the kit come with everything you need? Anybody run into any problems? I want to run 33x10.50s on stock ZR5 wheels. Will they rub a lot? They call for a 32x12.50 with 4 inch bs. Thanks
No need to be shy here. Welcome to the forum. If you do a search under "BDS" you may have enough to answer your questions until Bwenny, Quickbiker or coffeedrkr gets to you.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

x_lowrider wrote:i know this is a crew cab forum but, i have a question about the 5 inch BDS for the Zr2. I'll make it quick. Does the kit come with everything you need? Anybody run into any problems? I want to run 33x10.50s on stock ZR5 wheels. Will they rub a lot? They call for a 32x12.50 with 4 inch bs. Thanks
first of all welcome to the site :wave:
as far as the BDS kit goes, i'm sure that it'll have everything you need.

i'm assuming you have a Zr2 and not a crew-cab. the Zr's run a 31X10.50 stock tire don't they?? with a 5 inch lift i would think that 33X10.50's wouldn't rub the fender.....but that's purely speculation.

couldn't tell you about the frame rub, i think the Zr's front frame is different (narrower) than our crew cabs, allowing the bigger stock tire????
it's almost a trial and error kind of thing. i know BDS's recommendations are the maximum size tire and backspacing to avoid rubbing.

basicly for all that typing i don't have an answer for ya, lol :lol: but i hope it all works out for ya. good luck and don't ever be afraid to ask questions on here. we're just a lot of good guys who like to help
:wink:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

The ZR2s have a 31x10.50 stock tire. i read on the Zr2.com that some people are running 33x10.50s with a 2 inch body lift. with trimming. I would rather have a suspension lift. Where did everybody get their BDS kit? i went to a place today and he quoted me $2100 for the kit. He can get it in 3 days, but i want to see if it may be cheaper elsewhere. Thanks
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

x_lowrider wrote: i went to a place today and he quoted me $2100 for the kit.
Does that include installation?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I hope that is with installation and if it isn't........move on!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Try this and get some quotes.BDS
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

i thought it was only 1500-1600 for the kit
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

That was with 10% off because it was on sale. And NOT installed. I did the search and thats the only place near me that can get it. I thought i could get it for less also. I dont want to pay that much for it.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

What about the Superlift?
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

I just heard better things about the BDS kit. I can get the SL for about $1700.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

x_lowrider wrote:I just heard better things about the BDS kit. I can get the SL for about $1700.
What better things did you hear? Please fill us in!
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

Just that the BDS kit is better made and that you go through the front end parts faster with the SL kit. The guy at the shop said that you have to retorque the SL a arms all the time. It just appears that more people have the BDS kit anyway.
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

Just got off the phone with Diversified Creations and Brad said that for ZR2.com and ZR2 usa members the BDS kit is $1696. The superlift kit is $1850. He said that the extra inch wont allow you to run any bigger tire. Im not knocking the SL kit, just seems that more people prefer the BDS kit. I dont really have the money yet for it so, i can weigh out my options until i get the money. Comparing the 2 kits for all i know is just like comparing Nike to adidas, just a preference. Both will cover your feet and be comfortable.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Some of this is apples and oranges. Keep in mind that the ZR2 kit is being discussed in this thread. The ZR2 kits may be drastically different from their NON-Z counterparts.
The F.I.T. Superlift kit was prototyped on a Crew Cab and the design engineer has been an active member here seeking input , as well as helping with any issues that developed. That may be where some of the confidence here comes from.
In the ZR2 community Mike Copeland of Diversified Creations , has been very helpful with the BDS product support and sales.
Each has their support group and I am not sure of all the differences between the kits, not to mention differences between brands.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here Is A Discussion On The Differences Between The Superlift & BDS Kit,
Now Keep In Mind This Is From 2001 And It's Differences In The RPO Zr-2 Kit. And That's When You Had To Grind Your Own UCA's, Now New UCA's Are Included But This Might Give Some Insite...

Superlift Vs. BDS
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

definitly call around.....that sucks if you only have one option. when i priced out my BDS lift, i got quoted from $2100 down to $1400 for the kit, and $1100 in labor down to $600 in labor....obviously i went with the $1400 kit and $600 labor. had to drive an hour and a half to get there but it saved me $1200 :shock:

best of luck to you, have you checked the BDS pride and joy page for ZR2's? you can see what other people are runing with similiar setups

http://www.bds-suspension.com/pride_joychevyzr2.html
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
x_lowrider
Regular
Regular

Post by x_lowrider »

I have checked that page. Some people squeezed 35s under 5 inches and a 2 inch body. I dont know how much they trimmed but still. I prob wouldnt go any more than 33s. Some have squeezed 33s under a 2 inch BL. I dont want to have to cut that much. I understand that i started this thread on a crew cab site and not the ZR2 and they are different trucks. just wanted to get an idea of lifting a truck. I can lower them like a mad person so i just wanted to know what i was getting into when i do it. I appreciate the support and feedback.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Have you completely checked out HenryJ's Mystery Lift? It combines a little common sense, research, 3 or more forums and tenacity a little on the stubborn side. There are no miracle 35s but 33s can be done.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mike's LS1 Flares are an option to clear 33's with only a 2" bodylift.
I like that option better to keep the CG low.
You'd still be half the price of the suspension lift.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
TexasBlaZeR2
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by TexasBlaZeR2 »

Just FYI, some of the 2004 and all of the 2005 Blazer2's don't come with 31's. From what I understand, they ran out of the 31 Goodrich's, so they substituted 265/75-15 Generals instead.
[size=75]Tom (Knight) Houston, TX
2005 BlazeR2 (still have)
2013 Avalanche LTZ (Z71 front end and flares/0
2000 BlaZeR2 (sold)
2006 Avalanche Z71 (sold)