Pro comp A/T tires

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Pro comp A/T tires

Post by ZIGGY K »

Is anyone running procomp A/T 's,or knows of someone who has or had a set . I see they're running a special, buy 3 get the 4th for free ! Are these tires made by Cooper ? What type of quality are they ? THANKS
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

my buddy had the MTs and they were nice at 1st but he was lucky to get 20000 miles from them but im not sure about the ATs
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Nice looking tires. They are not a Cooper brand though. Coopers encompas, Cooper,Dean,Mastercraft,Micky Thompson,D*** Cepek,Avon,Starfire& Kenda.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The buy three get one free deal comes around several times a year.
My neighbor had them on his Amigo for a while. They do look good, and have a snowflake (winter traction rated). I can't say how good they might be as he never put too many miles on them.

I considered them when shopping for 31's. The Geolandar's were a better deal, even with the buy three sale.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Any tire with the mountain snowflake designation will have a shorter tread life than a regular A/T or M/T, they are made with a softer rubber compound to better stick to the snow. 20000 on a tire like that is a pretty good run. I just got my 4 Mastercraft A/T's for $ 453.47 and that included mounting/balancing and tax.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The BFG AT KO's have the "snowflake" and they have been getting pretty good longevity.
The tread design plays a big part in winter ratings.

The neighbors tried a set of the Mastercraft AT's on her Expedition. The warranty is outstanding and priced right. They performed OK, but treadlife was short. About 40k mi. and they were done :(

I have a friend who deals Mastercraft, but I still can't get them to pencil out now that I fear the treadlife may be shorter than advertised.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I will keep the milage in mind but for me that's about 4 years of driving so it will be a while before I can post an update on tread life. Image
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Go with the BFG AT KO'S, they are rated for 50,000 miles.
I got a great deal from Discount tires/ Americas tire. There prices beat everyone elses price by $75.00 and that's including mounting & balancing.
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:I will keep the milage in mind but for me that's about 4 years of driving...
Me too. Don't worry too much about it. The Expeditions seem to gobble any tire they get. I'm not sure why. Your experience with a lighter rig may be better.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

Pro comps have a 50,000 mile warranty :shock: :D :D
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

so do the mastercrafts, dosn't mean they will make it that far and remember that tires have prorated warranties. I figure if I only get 40k they will buy me one out of 4 new tires.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:They are not a Cooper brand though. Coopers encompas, Cooper,Dean,Mastercraft,Micky Thompson,D*** Cepek,Avon,Starfire& Kenda.
Actually Pro-Comp tires are made by Cooper. Several shops including 4 Wheel Parts told me this back when I was considering getting some for the CC. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I think the Mastercrafts are not pro-rated. 100% replacement with legal tread depth. That may be just my local dealer?

If the ProComp AT's "pencil out" I would go for it. I like the tread design. If they hold up as long as the mileage warranty, that would be great.

They were really high on my list to consider. I came real close to trying a set. The Geolandars involvement in Baja racing and their MT performance as well as cost swayed me away from the ProComps.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

They do not show them on there web site but it is possible. All of the other web sites look similar and have links back to Cooper but the pro-comp dosen't.
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I will have to check on that warranty. If it is 100% I have no worries at allImage
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

04crewvt wrote:They do not show them on there web site but it is possible. All of the other web sites look similar but the pro-comp dosen't.
I only believe it since more than one shop has told me this. The funny thing here is that most of the sales reps I spoke with made it a point to tell me "did you know that Cooper makes Pro-Comp tires", as if I wouldn't buy them not knowing this information. :lol: Since Cooper is a well known tire manufacturer I believe that the sales reps think they have a better chance selling these tires if they give the customer that info. :roll:

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

With all these companies having so many subsidiaries it's like keeping track of an octopus and all of it's tentacles.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It may not be so much a subsidiary, as a case supply. The suppliers of cases may be limited and the tire companies simply buy from a few suppliers.

- ThunderII KE7CSK