CV BOOT ISSUES

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

CV BOOT ISSUES

Post by ZIGGY K »

Anyone have problems with cv boots coming loose with an inch or less T-bar crank ? Or do most problems arrise when turning them to max ? Thanks
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Boots coming loose has been a problem for a long time. It is hard to blame any one culprit for the cause. Some have T-bars almost maxed , or even added 2" lift keys and no problems. Others just level it out a bit and they come loose.

There is room to use a large hose clamp to hold them on in place of the stock crimp style clamps. I have had them on my old '86 S-10 for over 10 years.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

I've noticed that the front , right side of all the stock C.C's are a higer than the left. Is there a reason for this ? and does the factory do this via the T-bar crank ? Thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

ZIGGY K wrote:I've noticed that the front , right side of all the stock C.C's are a higer than the left. Is there a reason for this ? and does the factory do this via the T-bar crank ? Thanks

I have heard a theory that they are that way to make the truck level while on the roadway (roads higher in center for water runoff) The GM specs require that you place the weight of an average person in the driver's seat while making the proper trim hgt adjustments. I suspect that is the reason for the left being lower on an unoccupied vehicle.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

f9k9 wrote:
ZIGGY K wrote:I've noticed that the front , right side of all the stock C.C's are a higer than the left. Is there a reason for this ? and does the factory do this via the T-bar crank ? Thanks

I have heard a theory that they are that way to make the truck level while on the roadway (roads higher in center for water runoff) The GM specs require that you place the weight of an average person in the driver's seat while making the proper trim hgt adjustments. I suspect that is the reason for the left being lower on an unoccupied vehicle.
The t-bars are not adjusted to compensate for road crown. When you have an alignment done you will notice that you have more positive caster on the right side vs. the left side. This is called cross caster. Almost all vehicles are aligned this way to help combat road crown. :wink:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Ziggy, concerning boots, I've had one boot to start slinging grease, and my T-bars are cranked almost as far as they'll go. As long as my dealership covers it as part of a special arangement, I'll let them handle it, but when my 100K warranty is up, I'll probably use hose clamps like Brule suggested. I have a set of 2" lift keys that I bought when I was planning to get a winch. I've decided against trying to use them to get anymore lift out of the front, as they would probably aggravate my CV boots :lol:
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

Wamason, how is the ride with the t-bars cranked almost to max. ?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

A bit rougher that I would like, but then again, I also have ProComp ES9000's on the front and back. but it was kinda stiff before I put those on.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

1.5" tweak- blew out the passenger side inner boot sometime this week.Image
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:1.5" tweak- blew out the passenger side inner boot...
By blew out do you mean the boot is now in more than one piece, or that one of the clamps allowed the boot to come loose?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

clamp has come loose grease has been thrown all over the undercarrage.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Go to the local autoparts and get a screw adjustable clamp. Clean things up as best you can and use it to clamp the boot back in place. This will keep the contaminants out until your dealer can make the warranty repair.

My old S-10 has been running those clamps on both boots for over 10 years.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote:clamp has come loose grease has been thrown all over the undercarrage.
HJ's large hose clamp fixes that one.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]