Tire size question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Tire size question

Post by 04crewvt »

Looking at replacing my stock tires this spring and was wondering if anyone knows of a tire size calculator or offhand knows the conversion of tread width vs rim width. I am looking at a set of tires that at measured rim width of 7.5 runs a tread width of 7.3/section width 9.3 . My other size choice has me looking at a measured rim width of 8.5 with a tread width of 7.58/section width 10.5. I plan on putting these on my stock 15x7 zr-5 rims. Any help would be appreciated.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have never seen a section width/tread width calculator.
Your best bet may be to compare specs on tirerack.com? Calculating the section width may be somewhat variable since the shoulder tread design can play such large part in our clearance issues.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Don't forget that height also plays a major role :D

Judging by your sig, you could probably run a 30x9.5x15.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Its between a 30x9.5x15 or a very small 31x10.5x15 actual size 30.0 or the third choice comes in at 30.2. I think I have a good amount of room in the rear just not sure about the front.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Do you go off-road much? Your signature doesn't indicate that you have a body lift. 30 x 9.5 is really the largest you can try and you will still probably have issues pulling into a slightly elevated driveway at an angle IMO.

Under warranty? My last dealership threw up that fact to corporate GM when I filed a complaint. My "ex" dealer told GM that I had oversized tires. They were the 30 x 9.50s.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Still have 1 year/18000 mi on the warranty. So no lift yet been looking into options for lifting but for now just have the t bars tweaked out, with the lift shackles and roadmaster suspension in the rear. I almost never go off road and what I do is mostly two track/farm field camping type driving. This is really my daily driver at this point. As for warranty issues since I have two sets of rims I can always put my snow tires on to go to the dealers if need be.
kermit
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kermit »

I've got 30x9.5 BFG ATs with just a tbar crank. Rubbing was insignificant and they diefinately fill out the wheel well to give it a beefier look.
2003 Dark Green S-10 Crew Cab 4x4 with 265/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers on 17x8 Black Rock Type D Series 909B Wheels, TB crank, Boise Spring Works rear leaf spring kit, 2" PA body lift, Skidz Custom Cut-Out Fender Flares
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

A 2" BL won't affect your warranty in any way, unless a problem can linked to it.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...