what would be a good replacement for the stock shocks?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

what would be a good replacement for the stock shocks?

Post by rlrnr53 »

Split topic-HJ

After reading this thread, this may be a little out of place, but here goes. I need to replace the front shocks on my 2001 crew, and was wondering what would be a good replacement for the stock shocks. My tired ole back and the other half can't stand anything any rougher in the way of ride quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

If you have OEM shocks, I feel for you. Brother!

I'll recommend HD Bilstiens but, others have their own opinions. Try a search with "shocks" as a keyword and you'll have an evening of reading if you have the time.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

I think that you have had your OEM shocks on so long, anything but OEM wiil feel like an improvment! I changed mine at 35K and could tell the difference instantly.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How long do you plan to keep the truck?

The reason I ask is that Bilstein shocks are a great shock, and a lifetime shock absorber. They perform equally well offroad and on the street. Their useful life is much longer than other designs. But hey are expensive. $60 each.

If you don't plan to keep the truck long term, and don't spend time off road that would shorten the life, just buy an inexpensive gas charged shock at your local parts store. It will be a huge improvement over stock at half the price or less.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

HenryJ wrote:How long do you plan to keep the truck?
A valid point that I should have mentionedImage
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

f9k9 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:How long do you plan to keep the truck?
A valid point that I should have mentionedImage
Wouldn't it help on the resale value a little? It sounds better to me when someone says things like, just serviced & new shocks. IMO Although if you dont keep it then you could get some Monroe Sensa-tracs.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I have traded in a few vehicles and to a dealer, it wouldn't help any IMO but, it may to a private buyer. I think HJ was asking how long it was going to be kept to use as background info to decide if a shock like biltiens was worth the added money to buy the new shocks. A couple yrs ago, I shopped hard and the HD Bilstiens were about $240 for the four. I thought the handling characteristics were well worth that and more.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

SONOMA915 wrote:Wouldn't it help on the resale value a little?
Nope. Shocks are like tires. It came with them and adds no value to have them good or bad.
Not many modifications will add value. The best thing you can do is maintain detailed maintence records, and low mileage.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Does anyone have the part # for the HD Bilsteins ? and would it be the same for the blazers ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

CC
Front Shock ,,,,, B461410
Rear Shock ,,,,, B461681

I believe the rear shocks for the Blazer are a different model #.
check out their website
www.bilstein.com
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Thanks for all the replys. Yes, I plan on keeping the crew for a while, but unless I absolutely have to, I stay on road. I was bit by the off road bug about 25 years ago, and found it extremely expensive to keep up the fun.When lkyou work for the state, extra money is had to come by, and having 13 year old twin girls doesn't help either. I'll probably put on something a little better than stock when the money shows up.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]