Sway probs ?(Leaf Helper Springs)

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bgs
Regular
Regular

Sway probs ?(Leaf Helper Springs)

Post by bgs »

I don't know if the CrewCabs have a rear sway bar, but
if they don't and you're having a prob with body roll
around corners, maybe these spring helpers might work.
Since all I have is a poor old 92 Slonoma ST, I'm not up
on what the later S-trucks use for suspension parts,
but I thought maybe some here might find this interesting..>
Not too bad a price for the parts.

1st the thread regarding the parts, 2nd the parts at Summit.

link't long url & edited title-HJ
Thanks HJ.
Last edited by bgs on Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WOW... that is a good price. Prolly worth tryin' em out. Thanks for the post.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Here is the write-up - Leaf Helper Springs

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yeah, I've seen the mod-info thing before and I'd been thinking about them for a while but I could never find them for the price in the write-up. More like $50 + shipping

Although, it does appear that the HEL-550 includes 4 spring plates (front and rear of each side) where the summit version only includes a single spring plate (rear only) of each side(unless I'm mistaken). I'm not sure what the advantage/disadvantage of either sytem is but it seems like the summit one might put uneven pressure on the leaf springs. This may weaken and shorten the lifespan of already weak springs.

This is gonna require more investigation but so far I'm thinking the HEL-550 may be worth the extra $10.
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

it appears I was mistaken :shock:
Using a 11/16 wrench and socket you want to tighten the front first. Then moving to the back tighten them to desired tightness.
I thought that meant there were spring plates in front and back of axle. Turns out, it's the bolts toward the front and back of the spring plate.

This being the case, I think the summit set looks quite beefier and seems to allow more room for adjustment and fine tuning. Not to mention the 20% price difference.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have been using the Summit sway control rear helper springs for almost 2 years now and they work great. When I installed these helper springs I also installed greasable polyurethane front sway bar bushings and end links. I was shocked how much better my CC handled after these mods. It now handles similar to the lowered S10's with the ZQ8 package. The only down side to these mods is the increased bumpy ride when off roading. One thing I did not like about the Summit kit was the u-bolt mounting plates which appear to be made of mild steel and bend easily. I actually stacked the smaller plates on top of the larger ones to get better strength on the front mounting point. The smaller plates are not needed on the rear mount position since the spring already has a beefy mounting plate already attached. :wink:

Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Okay, y'all convinced me. Imma give these a try. Just to be sure before I place the order, can anyone verify the part number SUM-720004? That's the right size for '02 Sonoma crewcab?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

barch97 wrote:Can anyone verify the part number SUM-720004? That's the right size for '02 Sonoma crewcab?
That's the right one! Summit part # SUM-720004. I noticed the price has gone up on these. When I ordered mine they were only $28.39, but I see they are now $39.95. Still a good price though. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I better hurry and order before the price goes up again. thanks :thumb:
bgs
Regular
Regular

Post by bgs »

Here is another review from a member over at
an S-10 site. I'm posting it here as he installed
them on his Blazer with a rear sway bar. This
way you can perhaps get a lil better idea as to
how they'd work for you before you spend the
money. Vipers first update reviews how it
worked after adjusting the bolts with the
sway bar.

Apparently they seem to work pretty good,
however with the rear sway bar one can only
adjust them so far. I'm guessing that CC's
have this rear sway bar. Also I believe the
Crew cab and Blazer are close to each other
as far as weight ? Anyway >
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213569
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Np rear sway bar on Crews!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yeah, what he said. We haven't got rear sway bar (stock anyway)
bgs wrote:Here is another review from a member over at
an S-10 site. I'm posting it here as he installed
them on his Blazer with a rear sway bar. This
way you can perhaps get a lil better idea as to
how they'd work for you before you spend the
money. Vipers first update reviews how it
worked after adjusting the bolts with the
sway bar.

Apparently they seem to work pretty good,
however with the rear sway bar one can only
adjust them so far. I'm guessing that CC's
have this rear sway bar. Also I believe the
Crew cab and Blazer are close to each other
as far as weight ? Anyway >
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213569
But, thanks for this info. I had planned to see how these work on my truck first and then maybe get a set for Mrs Barch's blazer. Guess there's a lil ' more to consider.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I just finished installing these summit helper springs. the instructions say to tighten the rear nuts so that there's .375 to 1.5 inches of bolt above the spring plate. I got about two inches of bolt above the spring plate before the nuts were snug. I tightened about another inch beyond snug.

There's a noticable reduction in body roll while cornering at low speeds. Swaying at highway speed is notibly improved as well. Although it kind of accentuates how loose the front and is now. I'll let ya know how they do as far as body sag after next load of mulch or towing the boat.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

anybody have problems with the exhaust rubbing, I'm not sure if I have them to tight or not but it does handle much better.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Yeah, when I first installed them, the one on the passenger side rattled against the tailpipe. (gotta install with U bolt facing down or it won't fit at all) A few turns on the nuts and the rattle went away. I've had them at about 2 1/4" of thread beyond the plate for over a week now and it rides a lot better. I may tighten them another 1/2" or so this weekend and see how they do.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 24digger »

Thanks barch, Yeah I all ready had the u-bolt pointed down sound like you got yours a little tighter than mine will try to tighten a little more.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
bgs
Regular
Regular

Post by bgs »

Well I finally got theses gizmos installed. I had to use the
short u bolts at the rear and the long ones at the front
due to a leaf being pulled out of each pack.

Anyway I have to admit the handling has improved. At
first I wasn't sold, but the more I drive it the more I
can tell that sway has decreased. In fact I have to be
a lil careful now so I don't go around a turn too fast.

Bad thing is I lost close to 2" in drop. I have a set of
4" blocks. I'll try to bring the butt down to where
it was. I like having my rides lowered not so much
for show anymore, than I find the ground is much
closer and doesn't hurt as much should I fall out,
after I've had one too many Bass & Co Pale Ale's.

Very rarely happens anymore, in fact not in 10 yrs,
but sometimes I just get this bad urge... :wink:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Barch,

They've been on a month now, thoughts?
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

:thumb:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I mounted mine slightly different with the u-bolts pointed up and used both plates on the forward u-bolt for better strength. The rear mount does not need the plate when the u-bolt is pointed up. I originally installed mine with the u-bolts pointed down, but I felt like the bolts were going to get snagged on things when off road or in the mud. I have had these on now for almost 2 years with no problems and the rear still flexes pretty good. :D

Steve
Last edited by killian96ss on Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

The price has dropped from $39.95 to $33.95 on the Summit Sway Control Plus Helper Springs. :D All Summit brand products have been reduced in price up to 15%. :wink:

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Grrrr....I just bought them for $40! :P
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote:Grrrr....I just bought them for $40! :P
I know the feeling, Walt :lol:

These are my next mod after I have an emergency brake, the Skidz flares installed and the LS1 fan installed :wink:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Killian 96ss
What a perfect time to delete your pictures! :? I'm doing the install tonight. It's supposed to rain tomarrow :x

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Steve2003 wrote:What a perfect time to delete your pictures! :?
All of the pictures I had linked from the Crew Cab photo gallery are showing up that way. I will try re-linking the picture, it should work. :?

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

killian96ss wrote:All of the pictures I had linked from the Crew Cab photo gallery are showing up that way. I will try re-linking the picture, it should work. :?
There should not be issues with the gallery photos. They are still intact. The photo from the gallery above was showing up just fine for me. If your link included "Normal_" , that may need to be deleted in the url , as all the photos have been resized to save disk space. The gallery is not working , but the photos that are there are fine.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

killian96ss wrote:
Steve2003 wrote:What a perfect time to delete your pictures! :?
All of the pictures I had linked from the Crew Cab photo gallery are showing up that way. I will try re-linking the picture, it should work. :?

Steve
I see the pictures are back :D Thanks! I just wanted to make sure I was installing the springs corectly. I got the bushings and the helper springs installed last night. What a huge difference! :thumb:
sory Hj I couldn't figure out how to do the measurements you wanted :(

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:...I couldn't figure out how to do the measurements...
Maybe the next person will get some.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I just checked Summit's website and it said these kits are no longer available. I also called and verified and they said yep they no longer carry them and they will not be getting anymore. :(
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

:bonk:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

ace wrote:I just checked Summit's website and it said these kits are no longer available. I also called and verified and they said yep they no longer carry them and they will not be getting anymore. :(
Well that's lame! :roll: The only other helper spring near that price would be the Hellwig 550, Summit part # HEL-550 for $50.

It should function the same, but the u-bolts will definitely have to be pointed down due to the design difference. It would probably be a good idea to shop around for similar helper springs to compare differences and ratings, not to mention price. :roll:

Steve
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I should also mention that a good or even better alternative to these helper springs would be the Boise Add A Leaf KitThis is definitely a better way to go, it's just a little harder to install than the helper springs, but shouldn't be a problem for most people. :D I'm not sure what the price is though. :? HJ, if you happen to read this, how much did they cost and what height did they finally settle to? :)

Steve
SONOMA915
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SONOMA915 »

The Boise kit cost me about $150 shipped and I got about 1 3/4" of lift.
[size=75]2004 GMC Sonoma ZR5 (Sold)
2005 Toyota Tacoma[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

ace wrote:I just checked Summit's website and it said these kits are no longer available. I also called and verified and they said yep they no longer carry them and they will not be getting anymore. :(
That sucks! I'm glad I got mine. I must of got one of the last sets.

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Wow....that does suck. I think I've seen Autozone carry something similar to this kit....I'll check the next time I stop in.
--Walt
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

I found this site which has a kit that looks just like the summit kit but it's $60.00

http://www.autopn.com/autoparts/swaycon ... ntrol.html
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Those are the same ones summit had. To bad the price is higher.

Steve
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Seems like a pair of these shouldn't be to hard to make for someone with the proper tools and such. Basically a bent piece of metal and some U Bolts....not much to it, but I dunno...
--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:Seems like a pair of these shouldn't be to hard to make for someone with the proper tools and such. Basically a bent piece of metal and some U Bolts....not much to it, but I dunno...
There is a little more to it. Proper tempering of the steel.

It is a facinating art to watch. Kiln fired steel dipped into a vat of oil. Cut, Arched, drilled.
The skill is beyond most. I would imagine that it takes quite a while to know steel like that.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

HenryJ wrote:
wamason wrote:Seems like a pair of these shouldn't be to hard to make for someone with the proper tools and such. Basically a bent piece of metal and some U Bolts....not much to it, but I dunno...
There is a little more to it. Proper tempering of the steel.

It is a facinating art to watch. Kiln fired steel dipped into a vat of oil. Cut, Arched, drilled.
The skill is beyond most. I would imagine that it takes quite a while to know steel like that.
Ahh ok. Shows my extensive knowledge on the subject :lol:
--Walt
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I would appreciate some opinions here on this topic.

I will be towing much more often now that I have bought a boat, a Tracker Mod V 18'.

I have two areas I would like to tackle.
1. Add strength to the rear springs. (I already installed Daystar shackles)
2. Remove the sway with cornering.

I was looking at adding the Hellwig EZ-550 helper springs and a rear sway bar.

Do I really need the sway bar? Or would the Hellwig's EZ-550 remove the sway? I noticed that they are similar to the sway control kit that Summit offered.

Thanks
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

kwalsh wrote:.............Do I really need the sway bar? Or would the Hellwig's EZ-550 remove the sway? I noticed that they are similar to the sway control kit that Summit offered. .........
Bilstiens helped me alot. I have EZ-550s, which I added much later, and I am happy with them.
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

Yup...I put the Bilsteins on about 4 years ago.
Thanks for the input.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]