ZR2 axle swap

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

ZR2 axle swap

Post by HenryJ »

A couple guys here are talking about the possibility, but too shy to post about it ;)

The ZR2 is 3 inches wider track. That would be perfect for the rear of ours, making things look wider in the rear would help the appearance signifigantly.

The right shock on the ZR2 is forward mounted to clear the track / panard bar. We would reuse our lower plates and the rear mounted shocks.

I am unsure of a size differences in the U-joints, but that is not a problem since they are easily adapted.

Spring pad centers should be the same, since the rear frame rails are the same width.

If you have 3.73 gears this might make an easy swap.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Brule

1. Do you have any idea of what model years to look for?

2. Will the ZR2 utilities be compatible?

3. If a drum brake model is located, how difficult (if it is feasible) to switch our rotors over to the ZR2 differential.

Just a few questions that I have for now :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

1. No, but I'd want to retain the disc brakes.
2. Dunno, but think so.
3. Dunno
Lots of unanswered questions, maybe someone else knows.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

After doing some research...I think an axle from a 2K and up Zr2 should have rear discs that will require no modifications as far as hooking them up. I'm pretty sure that's correct, but as always, I've been known to be wrong...
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Here's One G-80, 3.73 Gears, Disc Brakes

Ebay
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

What is that round pad in front of each spring perch?
Looks like a place for an airbag :?

Still , it looks like it would probably work.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Possibly the ZR2's have a different type of bumpstop?

Although that might be an airbag perch for something like a towing setup?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

My supplier for S-10 parts and very knowledgable source says Quote:
its to my understanding the zr2 rears are 63 inches wide and the standard 4wd is 59 inches wide making it 4 inches wider total ... not sure why they would want to run that and make the tires stick out? ,, someone posted the link to one on ebay that one is from a blazer thats why it has the round things on it that look like airbag/coil spring mounts. they are only for the large bump stops the blazers use. The sway bar is also a giveaway its 2 door blazer is its the only s-series to mount in front of the axle and not behind it like trucks and 4 door blazers do.. the zr2 models 98-up are all disc brake and same length ... i might be getting my hands on a 2003 zr5 crew cab with dark gray leather .. i will let you know so you can spread the word on them.
We know why we want a wider rear...
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim wrote:My supplier for S-10 parts and very knowledgable source says Quote:
its to my understanding the zr2 rears are 63 inches wide and the standard 4wd is 59 inches wide making it 4 inches wider total ... not sure why they would want to run that and make the tires stick out? ,, someone posted the link to one on ebay that one is from a blazer thats why it has the round things on it that look like airbag/coil spring mounts. they are only for the large bump stops the blazers use. The sway bar is also a giveaway its 2 door blazer is its the only s-series to mount in front of the axle and not behind it like trucks and 4 door blazers do.. the zr2 models 98-up are all disc brake and same length ... i might be getting my hands on a 2003 zr5 crew cab with dark gray leather .. i will let you know so you can spread the word on them.
We know why we want a wider rear...
Excellent info Jim!

Thanks!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]