paint leafsprings?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

paint leafsprings?

Post by ace »

I want to paint my leafsprings. They have gotten a bit rusty from the tons of salt they use around here in the winter. Can anyone think of problem this might cause? Do I need to use a graphite paint or something?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

If I was doing mine, I'd use a DTR (Direct-To-Rust) epoxy and brush it on. That will give you good durability and encapsulate that rust so that it doesn't come through again.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

You know, that's funny you ask that! I thought I was the only one! I keep a can of black Rustoleum spray paint handy and just "give `em a shot" every once in a while. I spray the frame under the cab (just the parts that are visible) and the leaf springs every now & again. I guess I really should scrub them down and do it right, but my way only takes about 2 or 3 minutes and I am a lazy son of a gun!!! :lol:
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

i paint my whole frame,rear axle,and front suspension every month. i go to home depot and get cheap black spray paint and i use about 4 cans every time. it's the easiest way to keep it looking nice. i've been doing it since the truck was new so i didn't have any existing rust to try and cover up. the springs are always moving and flexing so the paint will always come off....thats why you just have to keep repainting them.
[size=75]2004 s-10 crew cab with 6in. superlift, 2in. bodylift, 31x12.50 pro comp mud terrains on 15x10 eagle alloy 589's[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I bet thats an overspray from hell every month
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Here's how its done. ( if I only had the time)

[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jim keeps an awesome "ride"!
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
chumley
Crew
Crew

Post by chumley »

BADs crew- do you even drive that thing as clean as that looks? I'm with JeffC, I get under my truck and paint it all- frame, rear and front susp. with $.99 spray bombs every couple months. Keeps it looking nice. I've done this for every truck I've owned for 20 years.
[size=75]98 4dr Blazer 5"TM 2"bl 33"BFG AT Flowmaster w/ duals http://community.webshots.com/user/chumleyd8
-Stupidity should be painful-[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

I wish it was mine. Its Jims. Check out his pics. He should open a detail shop. I would pay him to do mine like that. If I had a garage and a weeks vacation with nothing to do mine would look like that to. I saved that pic to my PC to inspire me to get my ass under mine instead of spraying mine with flat black. I use undercoating in my wheel wells in the fall but would love to detail it out like Jims. Next week end I hope to detail out my engine compartment. I use lestoil or simple green, spray it on then brush everything down then rince it. It doest stink like engine brite and it cuts grease and road film.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I believe Brule told me that Jim use to do frame up corvette restorations which would explain his attention to details :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]