pics of the BDS suspension

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

pics of the BDS suspension

Post by bwenny247 »

sorry it's taken me so long to get these, but i'm finally done with finals, college, and moving back home for the summer.
anyways I've got 9 pics of the BDS suspension on my truck, if you want to see anything else let me know :)

http://www.s-10crewcab.com/coppermine/t ... ?album=137
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Thanks! I think I just mentioned that I wanted to see pics of the BDS system in another post and here they are! :)

Got any of the front crossmember?
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

hey, i added more pics to the gallery
i think i've got everything you need but let me know :D

it's so nice to be able to crawl under the truck without it being on jack stands!
LOL
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Did you install the BDS kit yourself or take it to the shop? If you did it yourself what was required as far as cutting/welding/etc? They claim no welding and only minor cutting...just wondering if that's actually true or not. Anyone ever get a price for the BDS kit?
Big E
Regular
Regular

Post by Big E »

You might want to have the shop that installed it swap the bump stops around for you. The small blue bump stop in pic #3 is supposed to mount in the hole in the crossbar of the UCA and act as a droop limiting stop. The OE compression bump stop is to be mounted where the blue one is now. As the setup is at the present time, there isn't enough bump stop to limit the suspension travel either way and could cause damage under heavy offroading.

In addition, without a urethane droop bump stop, when the suspension hangs you will get metal to metal contact between the UCA and the UCA drop bracket.

Other then that it looks awesome!
Big E
Regular
Regular

Post by Big E »

Who did your install?
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i didn't install the kit myself, so as to cutting or welding...i'm not sure.
i know the exhuast had to be modded, but other than that i don't know.

again, as far as prices go you have to call your local BDS distributor. I called 6 or so in the Michigan area and got a price difference of $500 from the highest quote to the lowest quote. installation you should expect from $600-1000 if you have a shop do it.
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

sorry Big-E you slipped a post in there before me.
I had Truck & Van Accessories out of Hudsonville do my install.

so the original bump stops are supposed to be re-used where my blue bumps are?

the blue stops are actually droop bump stops, that go in the crossbar of the UCA.

and, forgive me, what is the UCA :oops: ?
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Upper Control Arm
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

ahah! :lol:
LOL, thanks adrenalnjunky
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

why does the front diff look lower???? it sticks out on the bottom, i dont remember it being this way stock? is the drop bracket that makes it look lower than stock??? or is it the fact that they know people are going to crank the tbars and running big tires on weak axels so bds had the front diff laying lower than they had to???
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

looks a little lower in realtion to the dropped crossmember than it does to the stock crossmember in a non lifted drop - at least they provided some decent looking skidplates.

I would assume they dropped the diff a little more for the reasons you stated, keep the axles to where they aren't as stressed?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Big E
Regular
Regular

Post by Big E »

Bwenny247
Look in your instruction sheets at Fig 28 and 30. These will show you where the bump stops should be. If you don't have your instructions still I believe you can get them on the BDS website.

adrenalnjunky
The diff drops approximately 4-4.5". It makes for nice CV angles. Also the BDS kit tips the pinion up to help with much better front drive shaft angles then the other lifts that I've seen (TM and SL). This drops the front of the diff a little more then 4" and the rear a little less.
Big E
Regular
Regular

Post by Big E »

gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

is this lift as good or better than TM or SL?? Just curious as to everyone's oppinion.

sorry about the thread hijack..even though it's an old one.
Black '02 crew cab-30" BFG's, K & N FIPK, Go Rhino step bars, 2" body lift
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

i would say either the BDS or SL kits are better then the trailmaster. as i understand it, the TM lift isn't designed for the crew cabs in the first place.

i can't say for better or for worse when comparing BDS against the Superlift. If you absolutely have to have the biggest lift then go with the SL. from guys I've talked with at a couple truck shops they all agreed that the BDS kit was the better of the two, and a little more reputable.

'not trying to downplay the SL at all, heck i was almost hooked on the SL because BDS kept pushing back its release date, but I'm glad i waited.

~Ben
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

thanks for the input man...I've heard VERY little about the BDS so I couldn't form any kind of opinion about it.....

Dumb ass ???? what does BDS stand for exactly??
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

LOL truth be told...

Big D!cks Suspension
:lol: and their slogan "Quality, that won't let you down"
It's been shortened down to BDS for obvious politically correct reasons

Here's the website

http://www.bds-suspension.com/
gairbear
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gairbear »

LOL

thanks man