? bodylift spacers

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

? bodylift spacers

Post by ace »

Is is true that when you use the spacers to raise the tow hooks that they are unsafe to use? The BDS bodylift kit has the spacers included but if you can't use the tow hooks then what's the point.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

not sure that anyone here has used the BDS bodylift.But you could always make steel spacers and weld them on
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I lifted my tow hooks by making spacers out of an 8" legnth of 3/32" wall 2" square tubing

I bought grade 8 or better bolts of appropriate legnth and then through bolted it all.

If that is unsafe, then someone needs to let me know.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

To my understanding if, you use actually use the hooks with spacers you can cause serious damage to the frame.

I picked up a set of 1st Gen S10 hooks (Brules recommendation) and put them under my frame w/o spacers.

[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

Ok, I decided to call BDS's tech line to ask them and they said the tow hooks can be used with the spacers. They said the spacers are grade 8. I'm going to order the BDS kit and let everyone know any differences or changes whatsoever it's about $25 more than the PA kit but for 25 bucks I won't have to deal with coming up for a solution for the tow hooks.
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Reed, if you ever decide to get rid of that brush guard, lemme know :D

Ace, I took the same route as F9K9, get the old style hooks that mount below the frame--no drilling or modifications required.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

wamason wrote:Reed, if you ever decide to get rid of that brush guard, lemme know :D

Ace, I took the same route as F9K9, get the old style hooks that mount below the frame--no drilling or modifications required.

Will keep you in mind, Walt. I am not 100 % happy with it but, pretty close. I had to try to come up with a drawing for the welding shop to convert it from a stock hgt ZR2 to a regular S-10 with 2" BL. I never would have guessed that our frame rails are wider the the Z's but, they are. :shock:

If I could have left the truck with them, it would have been alot better.

It could sit a little lower and not block my turn signals and front license plate as much. I know that if, I was in a state like Ohio that they would raise cain because of the front tag but, KY only has a rear tag.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

It doesn't look to high from here :D Looks good.
--Walt
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

TY, Walt
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

f9k9 wrote:It could sit a little lower and not block my turn signals and front license plate as much.
I had the same problem with my Grille/Brush guard blocking my turn signals because it sat a little too high. It got a bit worse after that raggedy-#ss Ford Ranger got in my way and forced me to shorten his truck by a couple of feet! :evil:

I'm still thinking about trying to straighten it out and put it back on. If it hadn't been on there, I would be fixing a lot of bent sheet metal! :?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Rusty wrote:It got a bit worse after that raggedy-#ss Ford Ranger got in my way and forced me to shorten his truck by a couple of feet! :evil:

I'm still thinking about trying to straighten it out and put it back on. If it hadn't been on there, I would be fixing a lot of bent sheet metal! :?
Exactly! What is a $400 brush guard compared to $2K of front-end damage and two weeks in the shop?
--Walt