Ordered my wheels today

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Ordered my wheels today

Post by coreylubahn »

So I ordered my wheels today...I just wanted to thank everyone for their pictures and whatnot...really helped me make up my mind on all of this...though I think I went against at least some of your advice. I settled on a 15X8 wheel with 3 3/4" backspacing mainly because I want the wide look...I really debated whether I should go 7 inch or 8 and finally got sick of debating and went with my gut which said go 8. So I will let everyone know when they get in and I get them on and of course their will be pictures. Ordered them from Summit, with center caps for $202 (was $222 but I had a $20 gift certificate)...so I'm happy. Here's what I settled on:

US Wheel Series 37 Chrome Star...I likey!!!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

That's a good looking wheel. I don't know about that 3.75" backspace though... that's gonna be real close to the fender when you turn.

Was that $202 for the set of 4 w/ center caps? Great buy if so.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I'm betting that you will rub with stock size tires.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Yes it was 202 for a set of 4 with caps, they are only steel wheels with a chrome polish, but if they last a couple years they'll be well worth it.

I am planning on putting the stock tires on first and seeing how that goes for a while to check clearances, etc and see where I may need to do some tweaking down the road for some bigger meats...I'll keep everyone posted....I would hope that the stockers wouldn't rub, I have the same BS as Yellow Hammer only an inch wider and he said he barely rubbed 31s...but we'll see...now if they'd only get here, I ordered them today...geez!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

sumitts fast on in-stock parts
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

good luck with those wheels, remember i waited three months for my lift (not in stock) :twisted:
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

They are in stock so it shouldn't be too long...hopefully!!! I know my Bodylift came very quickly from them.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

So Summit shipped everything out yesterday and it's all scheduled to arrive tommorow....YEAH!! :D
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do us a favor and take a picture with your wheels turned to the point where the corner is closest to the rear of the fender, before and after.
If you could do it on the level and with the one tire up on a curb simulating articulation that would be great.

I just don't see how a combination 3.5" wider is going to work very well. Pictures will be helpful though.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

you may wanna go ahead at bolt one of those on and turn the wheel back and forth and measure to the fender at the back of the front wheel well BEFORE you mount tires on them. Summit was pretty explicit with my wheels about their "You mount them, You own them" policy. I don't want to discourage you but if they don't fit right (I suspect that there's gonna be trouble) it may get pretty pricey to make them fit.
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

glad to see i'm not the only one afriad to run a wide wheel with a small amount of backspacing. i'm running 15x10's with 3.5in of back spacing with 31x12.50 tires. now i will agree that you might rub but thats the price you pay to get the wide look. to me stance is everything and if i had to run narrow tires and wheels i think i wouldn't have gone through the trouble of lifting my truck. you'll learn how far you can turn the wheel without rubbing. if your like me and never really go off road it's not a big deal. can't wait to see how the truck looks......good luck
bwenny247
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bwenny247 »

if you don't want to rub, whatever you do don't run 33X12.50's on 3 3/4 BS :shock: LOL
my fenders are cut to fit the tires...i've got a 37" opening now from the base of the valance to the base of the rear-front fender :D really similar to bubaloos cuts he made. pics will get posted as soon as i finish the roll of film, hopefully soon...I'm waiting on my buddies fullsize to get out of the shop to take side by sides, my truck was bigger then his for a little while...not anymore :?:
[size=75]*SOLD* 5" BDS, 2" PA, 33" MT's, HPPIII , Airaid TB spacer, K&N FIPK, March pulleys, 2.5" straight pipe, Trucktec tonneau, Herculinered body line down, 3/16" custom skid plates[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I will be "trying them on" before I get them mounted to check everything out for sure.

I'm a little suprised/worried about all this concern...I'm not the only one running this backspacing, agreeably a lot of the guys with this BS (and an 8 inch wheel) have the bigger 5 or 6 inch lift but most are also running bigger tires than I will be trying (with Steve2003 having 31s but also no BL yet). Yellow Hammer has a 7 inch wheel with 4 in BS and 31s and had only minor rubbing issues...now I realize that I am going 1 1/4 inch farther out but I also have only stock tires now, which are slightly over an inch narrower and slightly more than 2 inches shorter. I would think that at least the stock tires should clear without too many problems, but many of you are much wiser than I am so I guess we'll just have to see what happens. Hopefully I won't regret this decision...
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I didn't mean to make it sound too bad. I'm sure they'll "fit" and th ewheels will turn. But how far you'll able to turn without rubbing is the question.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

barch97 wrote:I didn't mean to make it sound too bad. I'm sure they'll "fit" and th ewheels will turn. But how far you'll able to turn without rubbing is the question.
Oh I know you didn't mean anything by it and I didn't mean to sound upset, just a little confused. I have pretty much come to the conclusion that if a little bit of trimming is required that I will do it (although I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it with stock tires and that I could get something a little bigger) but if I have too many doubts than I will have to think long and hard about it. Barch did you do your wheels (Cragar 397s if I remember 15X7, 4"BS) and tires at the same time? What size tires do you have and do they rub? Just curious, I guess at this point it doesn't matter since the wheels are already on their way, but still wondering. Thanks.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

HenryJ wrote:I just don't see how a combination 3.5" wider is going to work very well. Pictures will be helpful though.
They're only 3.25" wider so they'll easily work (just kidding)...I'll be sure to try and remember to get some pictures for you all.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yes, mine are all stock dimensions except the backspace is 4".

my tires although the same size designation (235/75/15) are actually 29.2" as opposed to the stock goodyears at 28.9" but I doubt .15" makes the difference between rubbing and not.

also... I've got no lift 'cept less than an inch of T-bar crank.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

barch97 wrote:yes, mine are all stock dimensions except the backspace is 4".

my tires although the same size designation (235/75/15) are actually 29.2" as opposed to the stock goodyears at 28.9" but I doubt .15" makes the difference between rubbing and not.

also... I've got no lift 'cept less than an inch of T-bar crank.
And did you rub? I'll be 1/4 inch less backspace and the outer edge will be 1 1/4" farther out (1 inch wider wheel plus 1/4" less backspace) and running stock tires, but I do have a 2" BL in addition to the 1" tbar adjustment.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

yeah, it rubbed bad when I first put 'em on. Then I cranked the T-Bars and bent the hem of the fender panel up out of the way.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Well unfortunately there won't be before and after pictures that really mean anything to anyone because last night I did a little "fender molding". I didn't really mean to but I was just looking at things and got to thinking, I'll probably need to cut this part out and maybe trim that and before I knew it everything was cut. I probably widened each side (front and back) of the fenders about an inch or so...I really wish that the back of the fenders was made out of the same stuff as the front (lower valance) that stuff was great to shape. I basically just took the natural line of the bumper and continued it straight down which in the end meant about an inch was taken off. On the back of the fender I just started cutting a little here and then a little more and finally figured I better stop (at least for now until the wheels show up and I can see how the fit). I did end up with the big hole after cutting and I just shot in some of that expanding foam and then trimmed it this morning to be flush. I think it looks pretty good. I measured kinda half-assed and I think the opening is now like 34 inches at the bottom...I guess we'll see what happens...hopefully today, but tommorow at the latest.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Oh and of course I did take the BFH to it and bang it all in a little bit more on the inside...just to make sure everything is okay.
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

HA HA HA...

We musta really scared this guy. He hasn't even gotten his wheels yet and he's already choppin' up his fenders. :lol:
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Ya I think it's fair to say that you scared me a little bit for sure...but I do like the way the fenders look "trimmed" especially the front valence piece...it flows much nicer now instead of being squared off.

Well the first two wheels came today as well as the four center caps, unfortunately the other two wheels won't be here until tommorow...stupid UPS...apparently even though all three packages (the wheels were split into two packages) made it to Illinois together, apparently they decided to frustrate the hell out of me and split them up there so two made it all the way to me today and the other box (with two of my wheels) won't be here until tommorow. But as soon as I get home tonight the measuring will begin to see how these bad boys will fit (I got two of them and need to do something with them, right?)...and how they'll look, in the box they look fantastic!!! I'll keep everyone informed (if you care). Later.
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

pics man pics
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

coreys last post was at 12:22 its now 3:02 and still no pics :) :poke:
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

you guys kill me, you really freaked him out. i dont think it will be that big of a rub because when i did body lift and t bar crank originally i put 2 inch spacers upfront and didnt even relize it would mess anything up but i never got any rub so maybe he will be ok? :?:
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I think that I am going to be okay now....but just barely....and that is still my thought. I got home and put one wheel on (I won't have tires mounted until tommorow) but I took the factory rim/tire and laid it on a piece of cardboard and traced around the outside of the tire. Then I found the middle and laid my new wheel on it and traced around it (to know when I was holding it on the face of the wheel in the correct position. Then I turned the wheel different directions holding my "cardboard tire" onto the face of the wheel. I never rubbed anything with the cardboard though it is close (maybe half to three-quarters of inch). When my wife gets home I am going to hold it onto the wheel WHILE she turns the steering wheel and see how it goes (I had to turn the wheel some...hold the cardboard up...turn the wheel some more, etc.), but I really think it is going to be okay. I obviously had the truck jacked up so I also jacked up on the lower A-arm until it was in the same position it was before on the ground with stock wheels/tires. I don't think I will be able to go any bigger with the tires, but once everything is mounted tommorow I will have a better idea on that. Anyway, here's a few pics with the wheel mounted and no tire just so you have an idea what it will look like.

More pics will follow when everything is done tommorow.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

dont forget you went 1in wider on that rim so it will make the tire wider when mounted.
you may be able to get 30/9.5/15s on it
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

WHO the H*ll was the butcher on those front fenders. :poke:

im just kidding , cant even really tell
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

jeff024 wrote:WHO the H*ll was the butcher on those front fenders. :poke:
I really like the way the front valance came out...I think it looks like it should have from the factory...the back of the fenders came out okay (much trickier to do anyway)...and I think if I need to I could possibly get a little bit more out of it. By the way Jeff did you see the sign in my garage??? GO 24!!! :P
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

yes I did I ment to point that out in my last post but was to busy messin with ya
Yellow Hammer
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Yellow Hammer »

coreylubahn wrote:I think that I am going to be okay now....but just barely....and that is still my thought. I got home and put one wheel on (I won't have tires mounted until tommorow) but I took the factory rim/tire and laid it on a piece of cardboard and traced around the outside of the tire. Then I found the middle and laid my new wheel on it and traced around it (to know when I was holding it on the face of the wheel in the correct position. Then I turned the wheel different directions holding my "cardboard tire" onto the face of the wheel. I never rubbed anything with the cardboard though it is close (maybe half to three-quarters of inch). When my wife gets home I am going to hold it onto the wheel WHILE she turns the steering wheel and see how it goes (I had to turn the wheel some...hold the cardboard up...turn the wheel some more, etc.), but I really think it is going to be okay. I obviously had the truck jacked up so I also jacked up on the lower A-arm until it was in the same position it was before on the ground with stock wheels/tires. I don't think I will be able to go any bigger with the tires, but once everything is mounted tommorow I will have a better idea on that. Anyway, here's a few pics with the wheel mounted and no tire just so you have an idea what it will look like.
Don't forget about down travel. You may be ok when the suspension is not loaded but the first time you hit a bump while you are turning it will rub. I don't know if you plan on doing any off-roading but I can guarantee that if you do, plan on trimming.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew Cab (white), 2" suspension lift (torsion bar crank & Daystar shackles), 2"BL, 31X10.50 BFG AT, 15X7 Cragar wheels (black), 1.25" rear wheel spacers, Hi-Lift jack with mount, rock sliders, Bilstein shocks, Westin light bar, Hella 500 lights, Trans cooler, GPS, CB, XM radio

Roll Tide!![/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

Wheel looks good. :thumb:

It looks like it's out much further than I expected. Is that 2" spacer still in there or is that just the new rim?
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

No spacer up front (I do have the almost required to be a member of this site 1.25" spacer in the rear that will be staying)...but yeah that's just the wheel...2.25" less backspace and an inch wider wheel equals really wide, awesome look...I can't wait to get some tires on it and see how everything works.

As for suspension travel, when I first tested everything I had the truck jacked up (to get the stock wheel off) and I tested it there at the bottom of the suspension and everything was more than okay, then I jacked it up to "normal running" height and tried again...it's closer but it's really hard to tell just how close with a "cardboard tire". The cardboard never touched the fender though so I think that is a good sign. I have a feeling that bumps while turning might be an issue, but just how much I don't really know yet....but with this small backspace wide wheel deal the closest point to the fender is almost to full lock anyway, so under most conditions I should be okay..I'll know this afternoon....hip hip haray!!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

its afternoon and still no pics :!:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

ok now 3 1/2 hours have gone and still no pics :poke:
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

THE WHEELS ARE ON!!! Looks great in my opinion...here's a few pics:

And there is ABSOLUTELY NO rubbing...not even close. Here's a few pics up on a curb:

The bigger version of these pictures in my gallery are easier to see!!

Anyway, I just love this...finally my truck looks like a truck and really it is kinda the truck of my childhood dreams (though it would need the 6" SL to be exactly) and I'm just so excited that it's mine!!! (Now I know how a lot of you feel about your trucks!!!) Anyway, no prob with the backspace width and I really think that bigger tires would fit now...HOORAY!! Later, I gotta go show off my truck!!!
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

I REALLY think my topper needs to come off...at least for a while!!!
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

That looks fantastic :thumb:
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I would agree im not crazy about caps .Just get a blazer :)
now you need some meats under it
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Drive it for a while with those tires, before you spend hard earned cash on bigger tires.
You may find some rubbing yet.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

HenryJ wrote:Drive it for a while with those tires, before you spend hard earned cash on bigger tires.
You may find some rubbing yet.
Oh yeah I will definitely be driving it a while with these tires...they only have 27,000 on them so they will easily go a while yet which is good both because it saves on the pocket book and also because as you mentioned it gives me a good chance to really check everything out and determine if I can go bigger or not.
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

coreylubahn

Nice job, I like what you've done with your truck. Especially all the chrome, I think that looks really cool :cheers: :thumb: Seeing how your truck is white I think the camper shell looks really good on there. I would leave it, but that's just my opinion. I love this site because it brings out the owners personalities on the way they mod their CC's. It seems like everyone's kinda doing the same mods but everyone's truck's look different. Gotta love your truck!! :D Now all you gotta do is wear out those tires and get a 6 inch SL and then put some bigger tires on it, then your CC would really be sweet!

Steve
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

Nice job looks great! :thumb:
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Thanks for all the kind words....me happy now (for a while)!!!
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

still looks great man, whats next?
2006 V-max cc
2012 silverado WT 2wd