Another BL Done

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

coreylubahn

Another BL Done

Post by coreylubahn »

Guys,

Add another to the list of the BodyLift Crewcabs...that's right I got mine done over the weekend. Sure did take a long time, but it's all done and I am happy with it (for now). Here's a quick pic:

Driveway and the lack of light doesn't really give it justice, but since I got most of my ideas from y'all you know what it looks like...I did want to give everyone a big thank you for all your help and guidance getting me to this point so far, I really appreciate having an amazing place to come and learn and have a good time...I was in a car club for a long time and this beats the heck out of it...so thanks yet again!!!
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Oh it took us like 20 hrs total to do the job....way too long I know, but almost half of that was wasted on three things...trying to get the nerf bars on the passenger side after putting in the spacers (the PA bolts were just a little too short though they worked fine on the driver's side, but we got it to work after like 4 or 5 hours), figuring out which way the front bumper side brackets went on with their little plate (that pic in the instructions sucked) and trying to relocate a couple grounds (mainly the gas filler hose ground strap). But we did have a good time and I am happy. I did post some "in-progress" pics in the gallery. Later.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Another BL Done

Post by killian96ss »

coreylubahn wrote:I really appreciate having an amazing place to come and learn and have a good time...I was in a car club for a long time and this beats the heck out of it...so thanks yet again!!!
First of all congratulations on your BL. :thumb: It seems like a lot of work, but it is well worth it when you see how it looks finished. Some car clubs suck and some don't. I'm currently in ISSCA (Impala SS Club of America, SCCA (Sports Car Club of America), and Region Of Doom (B-Body club). I am very happy with these clubs, but I would have to say the people on this site are the friendliest and most helpful people I have found in a club or site. :)

Steve
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Another BL Done

Post by barch97 »

coreylubahn wrote:Image
Looks good :thumb:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

good job. btw, i left my side bumper brackets off :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

ya done good corey!!!! 8)
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

20 hours is not that bad. It took me 12 and I have done more than one :D At least you still have all your fingers :lol: Better to be slow and safe than fast and lacking a digit :lol:

Looks like it should have come that way from the factory, huh?

Any plans for bigger tires now?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

looks good . I didnt use the side bumper brackets either. just dont forget in 500-1000 miles crawl back under there and re-tighten all your bolts they will loosen a bit. I have checked mine 4 times now I think and each time I can turn almost everyone.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I crawled under mine the other day while installing the lift, and i couldnt tighten a single one....
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

grab a torgue wrench about 2ft. long
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I did have a torque wrench.... I dunno...
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

HenryJ wrote:Better to be slow and safe than fast and lacking a digit :lol:

Looks like it should have come that way from the factory, huh?

Any plans for bigger tires now?
Yeah I guess it's the engineer in me that makes me overthink (the word my wife uses) everything I do. I'm just not the type to just jump right in and try anything unless I have ALL the information, which is why I am always posting here like 20 times asking for advice before I do anything (and I really do appreciate all the advice...so far everything you guys have said/recommended has worked out great). I must have gotten down and checked wires/hoses like 20 times each before we started lifting, and then lifted half way and re-checked everything again. But everything turned out great.

It does look like it should have come this way from the factory...kinda sad that I lifted it and most people probably wouldn't think so just by looking at it, but I can and you all can and that's all that matters.

Yes I am wanting new rims/tires. I really want the wheels to not be so tucked in so I'm trying to figure out the best offset in combination with tires to make it look as I'm wanting. Back to the engineer in me...right now I'm compiling a list of all the tires sizes that are available between 15 and 18 inches (converting metric sizes to english width/height) and from there I'm going to try and decide which combination of height/width I think would work the best. I'm thinking of sacrificing a little height to get a little width at this point, like something 11 inches wide but only 30 tall..but I have to see what's available first. (then when Bubaloo gets the flares done and I can convince the wife to let me have them I can make the cuts and then maybe get the height to match the width I want and not rub). Oh well, this is long-winded but that's where I sit today...happy!! I love my crew!!!
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

you will most likely rub and 11in wide tire with just the BL. my wheels are 5.5 backspacing and a 1.25 spacer on the rear they make it just to the fenders edge .I have been off road a few times and have never heard a rub.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

jeff024 wrote:you will most likely rub and 11in wide tire with just the BL. my wheels are 5.5 backspacing and a 1.25 spacer on the rear they make it just to the fenders edge .I have been off road a few times and have never heard a rub.
Rub where do you think? I'm thinking of like a 275/60R17 which comes out to like a 30X11 (actually 29.99X10.83) or something like that. I am thinking of trying to run like a 8" wide wheel with 4 inches of backspacing, which if I did my math correct would put the outside edge of my tires about 3" farther out than stock. You think something like this would rub?
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Myabe I should just go with this tire that I found...a BFG MT in 325/60R15...that's like 30.35X12.80....nice and fat, but not too tall. (I'm kinding...I KNOW this would rub).
Last edited by coreylubahn on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I think it will hit the back of the front fenders at full lock
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

jeff024 wrote:I think it will hit the back of the front fenders at full lock
Now is that because of the width, or the height, or a combination of both. I was hoping that if I found a nice wide tire that was short it wouldn't have as much tendency to rub, except I guess like you said the closer you get to full lock the closer the edge will get to the fender...I may just have to cut it and be done with it.
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

coreylubahn wrote:I may just have to cut it and be done with it.
Okay I'm starting to scare myself...I'm getting way to used to the idea of doing crazy things to this truck that I never would have considered before. You guys are a bad influence (BUT I LOVE IT!!!)
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I ran out a grabbed you some pics of what room I have .Im running a 15x7 wheel with 5.5 BS 30/9.5/15s overall height is 29.5 and width is 9.6 I believe.

Overall wheel

Fender to wheel
Image I have 2 1/4 in left

And this pic is of my rear wheel
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

coreylubahn wrote:...... almost half of that was wasted on three things...trying to get the nerf bars on the passenger side after putting in the spacers (the PA bolts were just a little too short though they worked fine on the driver's side, but we got it to work after like 4 or 5 hours)

Do your nerf bars mount where the Spacers go between the frame and cab? I have a ZR5 with frame mounted factory nerf bars and dread relocating them. If they do mount where I think you are referring to, what brand are they? That may be an option for me if I go with longer bolts on my BL :D
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

jeff024 wrote:Im running a 15x7 wheel with 5.5 BS 30/9.5/15s overall height is 29.5 and width is 9.6 I believe.

Image I have 2 1/4 in left

jeff024, can you take that same picture, but with your wheel turned enough to be at the closest point to the rear of the front fender? I am running a 31x10.5/15 and I had to cut away the rear of my front fender to get clearance. Right now at the closest point to the fender I only have 1/2" of clearance, and that is with stock 6" back spaced wheels. If I had 5" or 5.5" of backspacing with these tires then I would have to do more trimming for them to fit. :(

Steve
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

I will get you another pic when I get home tomorrow its dark now :)
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

f9k9 wrote:Do your nerf bars mount where the Spacers go between the frame and cab? I have a ZR5 with frame mounted factory nerf bars and dread relocating them. If they do mount where I think you are referring to, what brand are they? That may be an option for me if I go with longer bolts on my BL :D
My nerf bars are by Dee Zee, and yes they mount to the body mount bolts...well the bracket for them does. Basically the bracket is the last thing that goes on before the bolts. I didn't bother relocating mine as I'm really not sure if it would even be possible on the front mount...the rear would be easy, but I haven't thought much about it. I kinda like the fact that now you can get a foot on them and not be kicking the body since the body is now 2 inches higher, so I left them at stock height.
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

here the closest point Killian

pic of front wheel with 15x7s with 5.5in BS with 30/9.5/15s

my TBs are cranked 1 1/2 inches
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Jeff it would look like you have plenty of room for a 31 judging by that picture...you still have like an inch or so to spare...or am I reading everything wrong?
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

theres 1 1/4 left but I dont want rubbing and dont really wanna pound my fenders in,so I figure if the tire were a 10-10.5 instead of the 9.5 it would rub when flexing or maybe even on sharp turns.Im just like you when it came to buying wheels and tires I wanted to make sure they fit without problems.IMO if you go with a 4in BS and something close to a 31 you will rub.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

coreylubahn wrote:
f9k9 wrote:Do your nerf bars mount where the Spacers go between the frame and cab? I have a ZR5 with frame mounted factory nerf bars and dread relocating them. If they do mount where I think you are referring to, what brand are they? That may be an option for me if I go with longer bolts on my BL :D
My nerf bars are by Dee Zee, and yes they mount to the body mount bolts...well the bracket for them does. Basically the bracket is the last thing that goes on before the bolts. I didn't bother relocating mine as I'm really not sure if it would even be possible on the front mount...the rear would be easy, but I haven't thought much about it. I kinda like the fact that now you can get a foot on them and not be kicking the body since the body is now 2 inches higher, so I left them at stock height.
Okay, thanks :thumb:

That makes sense now that I think about it. :lol:

Just may have to go with sliders to make the high lift jack more useful.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]