? about spacers and flexing

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

? about spacers and flexing

Post by ace »

I am going to be buying spacers for the rear but i have a question concerning the flex distance of the rear. Do I need to be concerned about the tire hitting the top of the fender in the back? Either when wheeling or having a load in the bed. I have the zr5 so I'm trying to push the stock wheels out far enough to accommodate the fender flares. I'm debating between 2", 2.5" and maybe even 3" spacers. Also some told me that large spacers can cause premature failure of the wheel bearings is this true?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't worry about your bearings. You are only reducing the rear spacing.

Here is mine with 2" spacers -

I haven't had any rubbing issues.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

I am running a 8" wide wheel with4" bs . the flare and tire are about even.
so that wheel is about 3" further out.
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
ace
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ace »

HenryJ wrote:Don't worry about your bearings. You are only reducing the rear spacing.

Here is mine with 2" spacers -

I haven't had any rubbing issues.

Any reason why you wouldn't go with as large as a 3" inch spacer then?
[size=75]2005 Silverado Crew Cab Z71
SOLD! 2003 Red Chevy S-10 crewcab ZR5. 2" PA bodylift, 1.5" spacers, CB, Airshocks, 31" Mickey Thompson MTX Tires, raised step bars, Flowmaster super 40 with 2.5" mandrel bent pipe from the Force II kit, gm vent visors, 12 volt bed outlet, airbox mod, zr5 tonneau, Bilstein shocks.[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ace wrote:...Any reason why you wouldn't go with as large as a 3" inch spacer then?
I can't say for sure how well that will clear.

I wanted to keep mine closer to the same track width.

1.25" spacers on the front and 2" on the rear.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

1.do spacers in any way shape or form cause more wear and tear?

2. by adding spacers, will this make your truck handle a little better due to a wider width track of the tires?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

twodoorblazer wrote:1.do spacers in any way shape or form cause more wear and tear?
Does mounting wheels with different rear spacing cause more wear and tear?

I am sure that I have been through this before, but here goes. Right now the offset is negative 6 inches on a 7" wheel. 6" of reaspacing.
If you are worried about stress on wheel bearings due the the wheels offset or rear spacing then 3.5" , or having the mounting centered would be ideal, correct?
Now since ours have 6" offset, what is the difference if it is positive or negative?
As the wheel moves out the leverage on steering components is increased since the wheels radius of travel is increased. This may in turn transfer more leverage to the ball joints. I would see these as being minimal increases in force due to wheel spacers, or change of rearspacing. Tire size/mass would effect this more.

The common rear spacing for two wheel drive rear wheel driven vehicles is 3.5-4" rear spacing. Do they have problems with ball joints or steering components with this little rear spacing?

The reason that we have so much rear spacing it to accommodate the driven wheels, and for clearances. You have to have room for the half shafts, and still clear the fenders when turning.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
twodoorblazer
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by twodoorblazer »

thanks for the explanation Henry J...

I have a 4x4 blazer and was looking at getting 1.25''or 1.5'' spacers.....

I know this is dumb, but will spacers make it handle any better being wider?

thanks