I need help. Is anybody running this backspacing?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

D68enny
Crew
Crew

I need help. Is anybody running this backspacing?

Post by D68enny »

I am looking to buy some wheels, and the backspacing on them is 3.25". I am a little worried about this because I have not seen anybody mention this little bit of backspacing on their new wheels. I am going to try and run 31 x 11.0 x 15 super swamper thornbirds. I have a 2'' body lift, 2" shackles, and I am going to do a TB crank. All in the garage waiting to be installed. The tires actually have a 30.8 outer diameter, a 8.2 tread width, and a 11.2 c.s. I don't know what c.s. stands for, but it may be important. I am just waiting on the right wheels and tires for under $900 to put all this stuff together. I would really like peoples opinions on if this is going to work or not. I know people get sick of reading all the stupid questions like this, but with such tight confinments under our wheel wells I had to ask. Thanks for the help.
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Ummm,,,, I wouldnt do it.

I had 3.5 backspacing and it was a nightmare. Not only did it rub even after I had 9" of lift (with 33's) it also DESTROYS wheel bearings :D

Also if you have that much backspacing on that small of a tire it might come off as looking a little......(no offense) mexi :?
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

:!: Not going to work without some major cutting. Those do not have enough rear spacing, the tire is too tall and wide even for running the stock wheels rear spacing.

Just as an example 4.75" rear spacing 30.6" dia 10.5 wide (section width) rub the fender even with the 2" BL and t-bar crank.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

coffeedrnkr wrote:Also if you have that much backspacing on that small of a tire it might come off as looking a little......(no offense) mexi :?
Kind of like a 1st gen Blazer that's running around my area. Stock tires on wheels that stick way out of the fenders. Looks really STUPID! Of course I can't say anything because it belongs to my next door neighbor's 16 year old grand daughter! :roll:
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

HAHAHA, GREAT! I just got rims with 3.25" backspacing! I feel all comfortable now! :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

I have 3.75 backspacing on my wheels and haven't noticed any problems. why would their be a problem with wheelbarings going out!
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

Goooooood question. I can understand the rubbing issused when turning the wheel, but what is up with the wheel bearing issues?
[size=59][color=red]| '03 CC | WESTIN SPORTSMEN BRUSH GUARD | KC DAYLIGHTERS | WESTIN NERF BARS | WESTIN SPORTSMEN TAILLIGHT GUARDS | 6" SUPERLIFT SL |2" PA BL | 35" THORNBIRDS ON 15" AMERICAN RACING WHEELS |[/color][/size]
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

There is a lot more weight on the outside of the wheelbearing because you are shifting the majority of the weight further out and the wheel is putting more stress on the bearing. At least that is my take on it please correct me if I am wrong.

Another reason I am saying this (given like I said I did A LOT of wheeling) but I replaced my wheel bearing during this last summer, put my lift on in late septemberish and my brand new 6 month old wheel bearings were bad by the time I took them off when I did my SAS.

I sound like a big downer but I do kinda abuse my truck :roll: Some of you more sane people might have better luck than me.
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

I can't imagine why you'd have any trouble with wheel bearings...

coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I have no idea what you are talking about :roll:

[/size]
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

coffeedrnkr

Should name your Blazer "THE HOG" allways looking for a mud puddle to play in!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

coffeedrnkr wrote:There is a lot more weight on the outside of the wheelbearing because you are shifting the majority of the weight further out and the wheel is putting more stress on the bearing. At least that is my take on it please correct me if I am wrong.
You are absolutely right. :wink: Because of the large latino population here in Napa I see this alot. There are so many cars and trucks here with 13" rims and skinny tires that stick out 1 foot past the fenders. :shock: :lol: I guess to them it looks cool. :? I still don't get it though. :lol:

Steve
SomeCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by SomeCrew »

I happen to like the tire coming out a little, not a foot though! Makes it look wider, and more masculine, but not a foot though! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Had a 87 s-10 extcab , same wheels that I have know except outlaw 1 instead of outlaw2 same backspacing, and I did alot more wheelin in that truck and never had to replace wheelbarrings. Maybee they just don,t make them like they used to!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steve2003 wrote:Had a 87 s-10 extcab , same wheels that I have know except outlaw 1 instead of outlaw2 same backspacing, and I did alot more wheelin in that truck and never had to replace wheelbarrings. Maybee they just don,t make them like they used to!
I don't buy the excuse that the lack of rear spacing leads to wheel bearing failures. If that were true then ideally the wheel should be centered to reduce the stress? That would mean we need a 7" wide wheel with 3.5" rearspacing. NOT!
The reason we have so much rear spacing is because the axles need to be long enough to have some articulation and the wheels have the heavy rearspacing to reduce the wheels travel radius when turning.

Just don't build them like they used to may be very close to the truth. I have 162k mi. on my old S-10 Sport and haven't had to change a wheel bearing. It is running my old Geolandar M/T's on American Racing Gamblers. They have to be around the 4" rear spacing on 8" wheels.
The older S-series have bigger wheel wells and mine has Bushwacker cut-outs with a 3" BL.

The biggest reason to worry about rearspacing is clearance, IMO.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

Well, not that I think about it most of the reason that everybody says that the theory is true is b/c when you put on wheels with more backspacing the wheels are wider 8-10 instead of seven and usually the tires are bigger. So that is probably why most people including me say that 3.5" backspacing hurts wheel bearings.
[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Man, This Backspacing Stuff Is Confusing To Me....Maybe HenryJ Or One Of You Other Guys Can Explain This To Me:

Stock Wheel Is 7" Wide With A 6" B/S...Ok Got That, So Now If I Buy A 8" Rim W/ 4.25" B/S Now My Rims Will Stick Out 1.75" Farther Than Stock 6-4.25=1.75?, Plus Another 1/2 For The Varience In Rim Width?? So They Will Actually Be 2" Farther Out Than The Stock Wheel Sits??

Think I Got This But I Might Just Have It Backward :crazy:
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

gocntry wrote:... A 8" Rim W/ 4.25" B/S Now My Rims Will Stick Out 1.75" Farther Than Stock 6-4.25=1.75?, Plus Another 1/2 For The Varience In Rim Width?? So They Will Actually Be 2" Farther Out Than The Stock Wheel Sits??...
Close , but not quite right.
4.25" rear spacing is just that, 4.25 inches from the inner wheel lip to the hub mounting surface. the rest of the wheel width extends outward. So 3.75" of the 8" wheel sticks out.

That is 2.75" more than the stock wheels.

Another thing to think about is the tires "section width". It is pulled in on a narrower wheel. This may help to round the corner where interference is a problem with the fender.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

be brave go with a 10in wheel :)
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
smahala1286

Re: I need help. Is anybody running this backspacing?

Post by smahala1286 »

D68enny wrote:I am looking to buy some wheels, and the backspacing on them is 3.25". I am a little worried about this because I have not seen anybody mention this little bit of backspacing on their new wheels. I am going to try and run 31 x 11.0 x 15 super swamper thornbirds. I have a 2'' body lift, 2" shackles, and I am going to do a TB crank. All in the garage waiting to be installed. The tires actually have a 30.8 outer diameter, a 8.2 tread width, and a 11.2 c.s. I don't know what c.s. stands for, but it may be important. I am just waiting on the right wheels and tires for under $900 to put all this stuff together. I would really like peoples opinions on if this is going to work or not. I know people get sick of reading all the stupid questions like this, but with such tight confinments under our wheel wells I had to ask. Thanks for the help.
Do not get thornbirds, they are a horrible tire.
96 2dr 4x4 Blazer ZM6
-Smittybuilt brushguard
-Flowmaster Exhaust
-K&N intake