Just new tires and the dealer won't touch it...

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Just new tires and the dealer won't touch it...

Post by Pauleo »

Split topic-HJ

I have the BL done and got 30" tires on. Folks here suggested not to go any bigger than the 30's with the 3:42 gears. And that's whats me got! So I guess I'll never have the full ZR2 look, but I like it anyway.

Called my dealership to get the computer adjusted and they told me they won't touch anything that isn't or doesn't have to do with stock! :? I can see I'm going to have some problems iff'n I need some warranty work done in the future! :x
[size=75]"As I said before, I never repeat myself!"[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:I have the BL done and got 30" tires on. Folks here suggested not to go any bigger than the 30's with the 3:42 gears. And that's whats me got! So I guess I'll never have the full ZR2 look, but I like it anyway.

Called my dealership to get the computer adjusted and they told me they won't touch anything that isn't or doesn't have to do with stock! :? I can see I'm going to have some problems iff'n I need some warranty work done in the future! :x
:idea:
I think you have an S-10 so try your local GMC dealership with that issue. They have to work on one another's light trucks. If they turn you down then just go north on "33" to Columbus and try them
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

F9K9 wrote:just go north on "33" to Columbus and try them
Yeah. I have the Chevy. Could try the GMC dealership.

So did you look on a map or do you the area to know that I would travel 33N to get to Columbus??[
Last edited by Pauleo on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:
F9K9 wrote:just go north on "33" to Columbus and try them
Yeah. I have the Chevy. Could try the GMC dealership.

So did you look on a map or do you the area to know that I would travel 33N to get to Columbus??[
I went to school in Athens, my home was in Dayton and I had a half sister who lived in Lancaster. Travelled 33 a bunch :lol:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

F9K9 wrote:I went to school in Athens, my home was in Dayton and I had a half sister who lived in Lancaster. Travelled 33 a bunch
8) Ahhh! The wonderful city of Lancaster. Hey I think I'm going to be passing London next week! The family and I are headed to Pigeon Forge, TN area. I think I remember seeing the London exit on the way.

How about I stop off and join ya for a quick trail ride?! :lol:
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Pauleo wrote:
F9K9 wrote:I went to school in Athens, my home was in Dayton and I had a half sister who lived in Lancaster. Travelled 33 a bunch
8) Ahhh! The wonderful city of Lancaster. Hey I think I'm going to be passing London next week! The family and I are headed to Pigeon Forge, TN area. I think I remember seeing the London exit on the way.

How about I stop off and join ya for a quick trail ride?! :lol:
Check your PM inbox.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: Just new tires and the dealer won't touch it...

Post by killian96ss »

Pauleo wrote:Called my dealership to get the computer adjusted and they told me they won't touch anything that isn't or doesn't have to do with stock! :? I can see I'm going to have some problems iff'n I need some warranty work done in the future! :x
What you are saying actually makes sense. If you tried to get your speedometer corrected under warranty then they won't do it because your tires are not stock. You should just save up for a HPPIII, because yoy will have the ability to change things whenever you want. :wink: If you pay them to recalibrate then that shouldn't be a problem, but like I said they won't fix something for free that wasn't original equipment. For instance my dealer won't fix the play in my steering shaft because of my 2" BL even though I still have warranty. :evil: Hopefully all this made some sense. :lol:

Steve
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

Killian96SS wrote:What you are saying actually makes sense. If you tried to get your speedometer corrected under warranty then they won't do it because your tires are not stock. You should just save up for a HPPIII, because yoy will have the ability to change things whenever you want. If you pay them to recalibrate then that shouldn't be a problem, but like I said they won't fix something for free that wasn't original equipment.
That's what I wanted to do. Just get the speedometer recalibrated. I didn't expect it to be covered under warranty. I was going to pay them! They said they wouldn't touch it because the new speedometer setting would be something other than stock. :x

I would love the HPPIII but I can't afford to shell out 300 bucks for one. Maybe sometime this summer when I go back to detailing cars out of my garage, I can get the loot. :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pauleo wrote:They said they wouldn't touch it because the new speedometer setting would be something other than stock. :x
That sucks! :!: They really shouldn't be giving you a hard time about a new calibration especially since you were going to pay them. Doesn't sound like a place I would want working on my truck warranty or not. :roll:

Steve
Pauleo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Pauleo »

The worst part is that I bought my extended warranty from this dealership and if I take it back to them for warranty work, it's free. Any place else, I have to pay a deductable!!! :twisted:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Pauleo wrote:The worst part is that I bought my extended warranty from this dealership and if I take it back to them for warranty work, it's free. Any place else, I have to pay a deductable!!! :twisted:
I'm in a similar situation. The dealership where I purchased my truck and it's 100k mile extended warranty is 45 miles away. Warranty work there is free, but at my local dealership 2 miles away I have to pay a $100 deductable. Kind of lame either way! :?

Steve
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

What kind of stupid dealership turns down a paying customer? Tell them to shove it. :lol:

The larger tires will actually make your odometer read fewer miles than it has actually traveled, so I say leave it alone! :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

AZS10Crew wrote:The larger tires will actually make your odometer read fewer miles than it has actually traveled, so I say leave it alone! :)
Ya, your warranty will last longer with no recalibration. :lol:

Steve
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

my dealer here in lexington said they would reset my computer and align it for me after i cranked the t-bars and put new tires on!!.....no questions. the service advisor told me there would be a charge for the align and the computer set , i said ok,, 8) my truck is still under waranty!
i have changed tires... but i have not cranked the bars yet!! guess i'm in the right state!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

top_sgt wrote:my dealer here in lexington said they would reset my computer and align it for me after i cranked the t-bars and put new tires on!!.....no questions....
Sounds like you have built the right type of relationship with your dealer :thumb:
I doesn't take much common sense to see the confidence this builds in a customer. Not all dealers are bad. Some of them understand modifications as well or better than we do.
This also builds customer loyalty and that means job security for them.

Do us all a favor and write a letter to the dealership with a CC to GM's customer service , praising the good job this service department is doing for you.
Their employees may see a bonus for your efforts. I know that we all will , if this kind of attitude spreads :thumb:

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

i have filled out two surveys from GM regarding the dealer for a couple of waranty repairs they did for me. i got free oil changes just for filling out the form and returning it to the dealer!!!!!
one of the waranty repairs was after i added the body lift!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

top_sgt wrote:i have filled out two surveys from GM regarding the dealer for a couple of waranty repairs they did for me. i got free oil changes just for filling out the form and returning it to the dealer!!!!!
one of the waranty repairs was after i added the body lift!!!!
I did the same thing when I was still under warranty (bodylift , tires, airbox, MSD, etc.). I didn't get any oil changes :mad:

They did a pretty good job for me, even though the tech tried to pull the "oversized tire card" on me while changing the bad ball joints and wheel bearing. After explaining to him that these tires are smaller than those on the RPO ZR2, and they are having the same problems. I then disassembled the defective ball joint in his presence to determine the cause. It was obvious that the rough ball surface was eating away at the socket.
The parts man also explained that the ball joints were in short supply as they had been redesigned. I waited a while before my replacements arrived.
Sometimes a little friendly education is all that is needed to put out the fires before they cause problems.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I just talked to the body shop manager at my local dealership. He said they trim fullsize Chevy fenders all the time. Said they could probably do mine too :D Just the bottom of the fenders tho.
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

weirder still - since this is the hometown of Superlift and SkyJacker - it's not uncommon to see a couple of brand new Ford trucks sitting on the local dealer's lot with 4-6 inches of Superlift lift under them - I havent bothered to go see what the markup is for the lift.

Local Jeep dealer always has a Skyjacker equipped jeep on the lot, and you can ask them to take any stock vehicle on the lot that Skyjacker makes a lift for, and they can work something out.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]