Superlift 6" kit is out, your feedback?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

mickm
Regular
Regular

Superlift 6" kit is out, your feedback?

Post by mickm »

Good Day Gentlemen,
Superlift has been shipping it's new S-10 kit for some time now and I see where some of you have purchased and even installed your kits.

One reason for my post today is to give project updates, that you may not be aware of. Due to the age of the S-10 and it's variants, some data was not readily available during the initial design and testing phase of the kit. Therefore, in our continued effort to give you the best product possible, we have made adjustments to the basic kit.

These include:

1.Frames tolerances on different application vary and with this we found it possible to have a minor rubbing issue between the upper portion of the frame rail and the cylinder on "some" shock applications.

UPDATE=A new lower shock bracket was designed to allow as much room as possible inside the shock absorbers operating window.

2. Torsion Bar application on the 4-door Blazer platform is inconsistent with other variations.

UPDATE=We have designed a new Torsion Bar Drop bracket especially for the 4- Blazer door application.

3. We experienced a problem with our rear brake line supplier. In efforts to "not postpone the release date" any longer, a relocation bracket was substituted in the initial run.

UPDATE=Rubber hoses are now available and shipping.

If you experience any of the above situations please call Superlift today for help or replacement parts.

Superlift has invested a lot of time and money to insure you the best S-10 lift system available to date and we feel confident we have succeeded.

With this being said, I invite anyone who has comments or questions to post them. We would like to hear what you think of our new product.

Also, we invite you to go to our website www.superlift.com and preview our S-10 kit and it's installation instructions.

Respectfully,
MickM
Superlift Suspension Systems
Lead Design Engineer/S-10 Platform
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

Well I like the kit and so far no problems. There are a few things with the instructions that i noticed during the install that were kind of confusing. When it comes to cutting the frame for the front cross member the drawings don't really show everything that needs to be cut. I know the parts won't fit right until enough material is removed but i want to know for sure i'm cutting it the right way the first time...especially when it's my new truck with a lot of payments left to go. Also there was a step that gave the wrong part numbers in the text and you had to double check the drawings and see if what you were being told to do made sense. I was kind of upset about the steering stabilizer. i wasn't told it was an option and i didn't know anything about it until i got to that step. You know where the stabilizer is located and how much more work it is to install after the lift it already done. Why don't you inculde that in the kit? I already paid $1600 for the kit....whats another 10 or 20 bucks ( i know you guys can get them dirt cheap) Another frustrating thing was the lack of tech support. I called a couple of times and was told nobody could answer my questions. I understand this is a new lift but when i leave my name and number twice and still don't get a call back i wonder what is going on down there at superlift.....employee training? Also the powder coating on most of the parts was falling off. The steel can't have any rust on it before it's coated or it's never gonna stick. I don't want you to think i'm complaining because i am very happy with the kit and i know nothing is perfect but since you asked i thought i'd tell you my opinion. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone. Thanks for even making such a cool product.
jeff
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wow, it's great to see a lift maker request comeback. Must be because the lift is good and they aren't getting any complaints? Well, if I was in the market, or the lift was offered when I did mine, I woulda went for it. My hats off to ya Superlift!!! Thanks for supporting the S10's! :thumb:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
mickm
Regular
Regular

Post by mickm »

Hello,
Jeffc; thank you for taking the time to give your constructive observations. I will address each of your points, but it will require some leg work on my end. Could you give me the part number you found to be incorrect in the instructions. This will shorten my data research time.

Quickbiker; thank you for your kind words. We do believe we have the best lift system available for the S-10 platform.

Our efforts here are to make our customers experiences as enjoyable as possible, your input will help us do just that.

Respectfully,
Mickm
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

the first step on page 11 calls the passenger side diff drop bracket #55-20-3140 which is actually a shock mount. i the part number should be 55-02-3140. again not a big deal but i did notice it and it got me digging around in all the boxes double checking part numbers. oh there was another thing i remembered. when mounting the front lower shock bracket the directions have you reinstall the control arms and hook up the tied rods before the drilling the 1/4" hole for the shock bracket. it's very hard to get a drill in there when the front end is put back together. it would have made things ten times easier if you were told to drill the hole in the lower control arm prior to reinstalling it or drill the hole before the tie rods are hooked up to the knuckle so you can easily turn it out of the way and get a drill in there. i know that may seem like a very minor problem but it is one of those things that is frustrating and makes wonder what they were thinking when they told you to do that. i am very happy with the kit and thank you for taking the time to ask people their opinion of your product.
thanks
jeff
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

i have a kit on back order from summit racing. how will i know is my kit has the new lower shock mounts? i have received some of the kit and some off the powder coating is coming off. i also have the skid plate and steering stabilizer but no instructions and the stabilizer is one shock and no brackets is this right?
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

your stabilizer should look just like a shock and you shouldn't need anything else to mount it except some bolts. if i were you i'd take a wire brush and knock off the loose powder coating. then go to an automotive paint store and pick up some p.o.r. 15 to brush on. that stuff likes being put on dirty/rusty metal. if you don't want brush marks you can thin it down so it flows better or even spray it. i wouldn't hold my breath on getting new parts because the coating is damaged. to be honest with you the parts probably looked good when they were put in the box but kept knocking into each other during shipping. although the coating probably would have stayed on if the metal was prepped the right way before it was applied. i wonder if superlift sends out their parts for powder coating or do they do it in house? either way they should look into the problem. up here in michigan where they use road salt that exposed metal will rust over night if it's not taken care of.
mickm
Regular
Regular

Post by mickm »

Hello,
Jeff, I will address each point of interest you named as best I can.

Item 1: Part numbering error on Pg. 11
Answer: You are correct! As you know there are many numbers contained in this kit. Hardware lists are scrutinized several times by several different people in efforts to eliminate any inconsistency.
This one managed to get through.

Item2: Clarity of OE material removal around front crossmember.
Answer: This is a very tricky area. During the design phase of this kit, several vehicle frames were observed. In practically every case, there was some minor difference in this area. This is why we instruct the installer to position the new crossmember in place and use it as a cutting template. We do warn against cutting away any factory weld.

Item 3: Drilling lower shock mounting hole.
Answer: A step in the instruction that found it's way out of order. Good catch!

Item 4: Steering Stabilizer
Answer: The basic kit does not include the steering stabilizer. There are two reasons for this.
1. The basic kit works fine without a stabilizer and therefore, it is offered as an accessory, much like the stainless brush guard. It really isn't a lot of effort to install once the kit is on the vehicle, since mounting brackets are incorporated into the initial kit. By releasing it as an option, this allows the low end user the option of monitary savings.
2. You were one of the very first to receive a kit. I know this because I personally checked your order (after you posted, concerning ship dates) and made sure it was on the first truck out of the dock.
But, I am not certain the final aspects of the steering stabilizer offering was available by the time your order shipped. The basic kit can be cleared for shipping prior to options being released.

Item 5: Tech support here at Superlift
Answer: We strive to give the very best tech support available to our customers in any situation. When a kit is released to ship, every person on the sales team is educated in all aspects of the kit and it's components by a walk through with the Lead Engineer.
Due to issues with the release/ship date on this platform, our education class was rescheduled. This is why the salesperson, you spoke with, could not correctly answer your questions. Never-the-less your call should have been returned. I apologize for this as this is not the norm here at Superlift.

Item 6: powder coating
Answer: Superlift does not apply it's own powder coating in house. We have changed coaters recently and your parts came from this new source.
We are looking into this problem and will make every effort to insure that the coating on our parts is in original condition when it arrives at your door.

Jeff, I appreciate your taking time to give constructive criticism for our product, I think many of our next S-10 customers will be even more pleased with their Superlift lift system due to your efforts.

Respectfully,
Mickm
malkavian
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by malkavian »

thats what I like to see a company that takes care of there customers. I know Ill be going with the super lift kit for my truck in a few more months.
[size=75]2006 Silvarado with 5.3 tow haul package, and 1993 jeep grand cherokee starting the build on it this summer.[/size]
jeffc
Crew
Crew

Post by jeffc »

mickm,
Thanks for adressing those issues. I've got another question for you. Whats up with the "real world rides" portion of your web site? It doesn't look like it's been updated in almost a year. I sent in photos of my truck hoping i might have a small chance of getting on there because the lift is so new and there really isn't many photos of trucks with that lift installed. I know when i plan a project like my truck i try to find as many different pictues of trucks as i can that have the lift i want and compare how they look with different tire/wheel sizes and offsets. I kinda just guess on this truck what tires and wheels would give me the look i wanted since i couldn't find many pictures to compare with each other. I can only imagine how many people flood you with pictures of their trucks wanting be be on your site but i thought i'd ask about it anyway.
thanks
jeff
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

mickm,
thanks for addressing the issues i cant wait to get working on the kit. but how will i know if i have the new lower shock brackets in my kit? :D
mickm
Regular
Regular

Post by mickm »

Hello,
Jeffc-Since my domain is the Engineering Dept, I can't answer your question concerning the web site. I can and will pass along your very valid question to the proper personal.

Jeggers_ The last version of the lower shock bracket will consist of two pieces. These are assembled in a manor so as to sandwich the original mounting fixure. You should observe a small "notch" positioned in the lower edge of the forward bracket.

Respectfully,
Mickm
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

:D thanks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Mickm,,

I just want to thank you, your company and KCustom for all the work you have done on this project. :thumb:

It is really a pleasant experience to be able to work with you. I haven't noticed any other producers of aftermarket modifications taking the time to ask for suggestions or to offer remedies for a new product's problems
:D

It has already been unsettling to me to see that more products are being offered for the new the Colorado and Canyons than the faithful s-series workhorse.

I plan on your purchasing your lift in a year or so and hope that it will still be available then.

Thank you,

Reed :wave:
Last edited by F9K9 on Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

f9k9 wrote:I plan on your purchasing your lift in a year or so and hope that it will still be available then.
As do I!! (and maybe, just maybe I won't have to wait a whole year)
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

summit racing no intrest 360 days thats all i have to say
coreylubahn

Post by coreylubahn »

Mickm,

I am wondering about tires with this lift. You guys recommend 33X10.50X15 tires on wheels with 5.5" to 6" of backspacing. After posting in another thread I have been informed that with this 6" of lift those tires would rub the fenders. Is this a true statement? I would plan on using the stock wheels at first (with 6" BS). Just trying to get all my eggs in a basket before I proceed with this lift. Are your recommendations based on trial and error? Thanks for the information, I hope to be a happy SL customer soon.
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

MickM...

Quick Question For You.....Does The Installation Of The Superlift 6" Affect The Towing Capacity Of The S-10 At All??? Or Does The Towing Specs Stay The Same?.

Jeff
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

good ?
mickm
Regular
Regular

Post by mickm »

Good Day Gentlemen,
"coreylubahn"-With the prescribed offset & tire size there can be a minor rubbing issue at the rear lower corner of the body only in extreme compression situations. On K-Customs truck we removed @1/2" of material diagonally from the lower outer skin. This amount is so minor, it is hardy detectable. I urge you to consider our specs when purchasing wheels and tires.
We have conducted extensive testing in efforts to guide the consumer in the purchase of wheels and tires that will yield acceptable results. The numbers given are what we deem to be the utmost allowed ,while retaining the function and looks this platform requires.

"gocntry"- Factory Towing Specs are retained with our lift due to original geometry not being altered. When addressing ball height, be sure to take into consideration the amount of lift your vehicle has gained.

Mickm
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

mickm wrote:...On K-Customs truck we removed @1/2" of material diagonally from the lower outer skin....
Was this in addition to , or prior to , the reported removal of 1 1/2 inches for the cut-out flares?
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
jeggers
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by jeggers »

thanks mickm
2001 cc 2" pa body lift traded
2004 cc zr5 2" pa body lift 6" super lift 2" rear shackle and tb crank traded for a v-max Silverado
2006 V-max cc
2001 ex cab 4x4 ls work truck rufff country 2" lift sold
2012 silverado WT 2wd
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Ha, that's what I gotta do still. Just put on new tread, and I notice it more now. 1/2" would suffice me. Did you smooth the edges any mickm? Or just cutit and leave it? I'm kinda sucky at body work. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

cover it in duct tape Paul!!
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]