tire clearance

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

tire clearance

Post by ZIGGY K »

just wondering ; with a 2" bl and NO t-bar crank ( really don't want to mess with the cv joints) how much rubbing is there on the front if i run 31x10.5x15's . also, if there is rubbing can it be cured with a grinder and a little elbow grease ? DON'T want the t-bar crank !!!!! :twisted:
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Probably the most asked question on here :D

A small 31 may clear with a little massaging of the rear part of the front fenders.

One thing that bugs me though...why are people so madly against adjusting the torsion bars for increased ride height in the front?

Everyone is worried about CV's and I have only heard of two crew cabs that have had any problems. Warn blew one, but was running the TS lift, and they may have achieved the lift using too much half shaft angle. The other was Quickbiker, and I thought He hooked a branch in a mud hole. All that did was rip the boot.
There may have been one other person who lost a boot clamp, but that may or may not be related, since they can fail even at stock angles.

Now I have heard of problems using the 2" SL, but this cranks way beyond the limits of the stock indexers. Those too are mainly boot problems , although I have heard of a couple that did pull a CV apart.

If you count the number of people who have made some adjustment, and the number of years of use, I would say that failures are rare and not the norm. Maybe the Z85 suspension has something to do with it, or the extra 400 lbs of cab that the crews carry? Who knows :shrug:

I really don't think there is enough adjustment in the stock indexers to get an angle that would cause problems, as long as the frontend can still be properly aligned.

Mine are close to max and have been for over three years.

Sorry I just feel like the "T-bar crank" got a bad rap , that may not apply to the crew cabs.

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think there is even one crew cab here that has lost a CV joint.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

I may not drive a Crew, but I do have the Z85 suspension and have my t-bars cranked a good .75 inch beyond what it was stock and I have never had a problem.
I don't know if I would ever max them out, but I think you can go at least up to an inch without worries.

I would crank the t-bars before I ever took a grinder to it. A t-bar crank can be un-done.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

the reason why i'm concerned with the t -bar crank is that i did it with a 86 s-10 blazer and i had problems with the cv joints the life of the vehicle . the joints were wearing and the metal from the joints were ripping holes in the boots and filling with grime. i realize things have changed in 18 years but it's still a concern :( maybe i cranked them full bore , don't remember. has anyone talked to a mechanic about the t-bar crank and if there are problems that can arise by changing this angle ? thanks for all the feedback :D this is a great site !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZIGGY K wrote:the reason why i'm concerned with the t -bar crank is that i did it with a 86 s-10 blazer ... has anyone talked to a mechanic about the t-bar crank ...
concern is good :D I still get to drive my old '86 S-10 Sport, the bars on it have been "tweaked" since I bought it in '92.

I haven't had any problems since I replaced the stock boots soon after I bought it.

I have talked to a few mechanics :lol: and I play one at work :roflmao: We all agree with my last post.....at least for now ;) [places foil cap back on head, voices cease]

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
ZIGGY K
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by ZIGGY K »

thanks for the quick response 8) , i guess t-bar adjustment is the way to go. :shock: i'll put the 31,s on and adjust acccodingly :wink: 1/4 turns at a time . that pickup still looks sweeeeeeet !!!!
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ZIGGY K wrote:...i guess t-bar adjustment is the way to go. :shock: i'll put the 31,s on and adjust acccodingly :wink: 1/4 turns at a time . that pickup still looks sweeeeeeet !!!!
Don't do it if you don't have to , and save the cost of realignment. I just didn't want you to be afraid to add a little if you need to 8)

Thanks for the compliment on my old truck "Thunder" :D I sold it to the company the I work for and get to use it as my "shop" truck / parts runner. I was kind of nice to put the old girl out to pasture, and still get to make sure she is treated kindly.

- ThunderII KE7CSK