Lift, Wheel, and Tire Question

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Eric H
Crew
Crew

Lift, Wheel, and Tire Question

Post by Eric H »

I have a few questions regarding a lift, tires, and wheels for my 2001 S10. I've done quite a bit of searching throughout the forum but can't find specific answers to a few questions.

I'm planning on putting a 2" body lift on m truck. My concern is with the wheels and tires.

I have a set of wheels from my 1995 Camaro. They are 17x9.5. I really like the look of the Geolander MT's, but they don't make them in a 17 inch.

1. Are there any rugged tires that will fit this wheel and fit my truck with the lift?
2. What size of spacers (if any) would be needed to fit these wheels with large tires?

If I can't get those wheels to work with the truck I'll probably buy a new set of 15x8 wheels (since I don't see Geolander MT's in a 16" that will fit my truck). They will be wrapped in 31X 10.5- 15" Geolander MT's.

2. Is it possible to get the wheels spaced to look like this truck. (Nice truck, Jay-Bird!) with just the 2" body lift? What size spacers would be needed? Or are there wheels with very low backspacing so that spacers aren't required? Or will I be rubbing the fenders all the time. For the most part the truck won't see too much real offroading. I won't be doing any major flexing with it. This is mostly just for looks.

Thanks for the help in advice!!
-Eric H

Edit: Fixed link...
Last edited by Eric H on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya i dont think you are going to find a 31" MT for a 17" rim......but the tire companies are coming out with new tires sizes all the time.

you need spacers for the rear, not the front no matter what wheel you do. your rear is more narrow then your front and it looks stupid :lol:

90% of aftermarket 15x8 rims come with 3.5" of BS. if you get those and put 31's on them, you will crunch the heck out of your front fender. if you want 31's (i hope you have 3.73 gears) you have to find a wheel that is more like 5.5" of BS or just plain 6" of BS. and 15x7 instead of 15x8 will help too.

have you seen this pic....15x8 with 5" of BS with a 50% worn BFG AT 31x10.5

you can see its alot of trouble to get new wheels, thats why most people dont :wink:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Lift, Wheel, and Tire Question

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:...I have a set of wheels from my 1995 Camaro. They are 17x9.5. ...
2. What size of spacers (if any) would be needed to fit these wheels with large tires?...
Welcome :wave:

What rear spacing do the wheels have?

Camaro wheels on the IROC had different rearspacing on the front than the rear also. Check to make sure that they are all the same.

For a "city rig" running the 31-10.5/15 Geolandar M/T's , you can get away with 4.5" of rear spacing on a 7" rim , for that "wide look". This may require some minor trimming though.

If you go to 8" wheels I'd get 5" or 5.5" rear spacing.
Last edited by HenryJ on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Well I dunno about the spacers and such, but the camaro rims should have a fairly stock offset, unless you have some custom 17" rims that had a little deeper offset than the stock IROC style 16's.

For tiresw, I don't find the Geolandars, but for an aggressive tire a quick search on tire Rack and using the tire height calculator off the hompage you find the following options:

265/65/17 - is 30.5" tire, you find the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo

265/70/17 - is a 31.6" tire, Tirerack has a BFG AT KO, Bridegestone Dueler Revo and the older 693, the GoodYear MT-R, and probably the price king Dunlop Radial Mud Rover.

285/70/17 - 32.5" tall, BFG AT KO, and MT KM, and the Good Year MT-R
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

Eric, If you want to do 16" rims, I'm selling some 16" chrome Centerlines that would look great on your truck. I'm also located in Omaha which isn't too far away.

Steve
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I have WS6 01 Trans Am wheels in 17x9. They are the same offset as stock but have 1 more inch on the front and back. I searched all over for a 17 At that was 31 or smaller. I wound up with Courser Ats in a p series tire. With a 2 inch BL and my tbars maxed I still would rub the frame alot and the bottom of the fenders. The 65 series Revos are nice but they are pricey. Mickey Thompson makes a 31/10.5/17 but it is a bias ply tire. Hope this helps. IMO I like an 18 inch vette wheel and 255/55///18 nitto terageappler.

You copied the images album page, not the image. remember it must end in ".jpg" to be an image. Fixed it -HJ
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

I'm not sure what backspacing the Camaro wheels are. I believe it's 7.75, but I'm not positive. And they are all the same backspacing (4th Generation Camaros are the same on all four wheels).

However, after looking at some pictures I think I'm going to get some 15's. The trucks look a lot better with the extra rubber from a 15" tire.

I've been looking around for a 15x7 wheel with 4.5" backspacing. All I could find is the American Racing Tailgunner. They list it as 15x7, Offset: 15, Backside: 4 1/2, Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4 3/4. Would these wheels work?

I was hoping to find more of a five-star style wheel, but these might have to do. Does anyone know of any other 15x7 wheels with 4.5" of backspacing?

Also, it was mentioned that I would need spacers no matter what. Kind somone please elaborate on this? Why do I need the spacers and how large do they need to be?

One last thing... I checked my RPO codes yesterday and I don't have the 3.73's. :cry: How bad is it going to be with 31's without 3.73's. Again, I'm not going to be doing much real offroading with it, so there won't be any real large hill climbs.

Thanks again!!
-Eric
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:...I've been looking around for a 15x7 wheel with 4.5" backspacing. All I could find is the American Racing Tailgunner. They list it as 15x7, Offset: 15, Backside: 4 1/2, Bolt Pattern: 5 x 4 3/4. Would these wheels work?
I think so.
...Also, it was mentioned that I would need spacers no matter what. Kind somone please elaborate on this? Why do I need the spacers and how large do they need to be?
To have the front and rear match you would need 1.25" spacers for the rear. When you add the wider track the difference is more pronounced, that is why most add the spacers.
One last thing... I checked my RPO codes yesterday and I don't have the 3.73's. :cry: How bad is it going to be with 31's without 3.73's.
BAD!

I would stay with a 30" tire as a maximum. Both for the final ratio, and for the clearance that you will need to keep the front tires from rubbing due to the wider track.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Eric H
Crew
Crew

Post by Eric H »

Does anyone have any suggestions for a 30" tire? I wanted to stick with the 10.5" width, but it looks like I'd have to go down to a 9.5 to get a Maximum Traction tire.

Also, just to throw it out there for anyone else who may be interested, I found some more wheels with that backspacing. Check out the "Blade" I think I might get these. Summit has them for around $55 and the centercaps for about $10 more (each).

Thanks!
-Eric
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Interco makes the TSL radial in a 30x10.5x15
http://www.intercotire.com/html/tsl___radial.htm

That's about the only 10.5" width Mud tire that I am aware of.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Eric H wrote:However, after looking at some pictures I think I'm going to get some 15's. The trucks look a lot better with the extra rubber from a 15" tire.

-Eric
I dunno--I thik this big wheel/lift combo looks pretty good:

[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Eric H wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for a 30" tire? ...
Isn't Mark (AZS10Crew) running some good looking Dunlops? I'd check out his tires.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Yeah I almost bought the Dunlop MT -- local Sam's club had em for $88 each for 30's.

Went with the BFG AT as it was more practical for what kinda driving I do.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

I dunno--I thik this big wheel/lift combo looks pretty good:

whose Blazer
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Maximous wrote:I dunno--I thik this big wheel/lift combo looks pretty good:

whose Blazer
Wish I knew. I've had that pic saved for almost 2 years. I can't even remember what website I found it on, but the thread it was in was a year old when I stumbled across it, and the guy had posted pics of the truck done up like that, and then apparently disappeared, no more posts, no email on his forum profile, no website. Never could locate who he was for more info.

If I remember right, I think the guy's forum ID was "paulybear" .
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

pro comp makes a 31/10.5 thats overall 30.2 PROCOMP ATs and the MTs are the same size and are great tires.
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]