Narrowed it down to 2 tires - any thoughts?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Narrowed it down to 2 tires - any thoughts?

Post by kf6kmx »

Ok.. did some research, including tiretrack.com (great site!)..

have it narrowed down to two possible tires:
1)Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo
2)Firestone Destination M/T

Anyone have any experience with these two? They both have pretty good reviews.. I found one review from an S10CrewCab owner on the Revo.. Didnt see any M/T from a CC owner..
Amazingly the M/T has better refiews on cornering and steering (I'd have though the A/T would grip better on highway cornering..)

Thanks
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Refresh my memory. What size are you looking at? Still stock suspension?
Have been through a recent mod and HJ helped me alot in my decisioons.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote:Refresh my memory. What size are you looking at? Still stock suspension?
Have been through a recent mod and HJ helped me alot in my decisioons.
Yeah, I'm still stock.. Going to use the stock rims (for now at least) also..

I know 30's had been mentioned as fitting using the stock rims..
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

I may be wrong but, the destination is a relatively new tire. I just saw my first ones when I my had my alignment done. They are definitely new to me but, I've been out of the new tire loop for 2 yrs. I do know that the "stones" are the same company. Hopefully other members have some experience with the destinations. I do know that the duelers performed well for myself.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I recently purchased the Dueler Revo AT from tirerack. The first weekend
I had them on I went camping with a quad in the bed & atleast another 300 pounds of gear. I had no problem going through some thick
nasty mud in 4lo. There is no way the Goodyear RT/S would have gotten me through this area when they were brand new.

I believe I made the right choice for my driving style with these tires......granted the tires are brand spanking new & have a lot of bite......the real test will be around 30k in the same type of offroad environment.

(I have the black wall facing out and they look good :D )
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Firstone Destination M/T

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo

These are two very different kind of tire. I think you need to ask yourself what you will really be using this tire for. For heavy and often off wheeling, go with the destination. For a daily driver with the occasional off road trek, go with the dueler.

Like kwalsh, I have only had my Dueler Revo's for a few weeks. I have not put them through any serious tests yet ie heavy rain, snow, off road muck. I expect that they will do very well though. I can say that they are far superior to the stock Goodyear junk on the dry and light rain soaked roads I have encountered since I purchased them.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

Decided to go with the Revos asfter looking at both tires and getting alot of recommendation on the Revo..
Now just waiting for them to arrive (had to order them).. Hopefully they come in before the weekend.. A couple of us want to take the 4x4's up to the snow if it rally make it down to 6000ft or below.

First choice in tire size wasnt available (the 30x) the warehouse said they have no idea when the 30x revo would be available (in fact the Revo web page doesnt show flotation sizes as available currently available) so they ordered either an LT or a P series that is the equivilent size, dont remember the size off hand though..

I hate waiting.... :P
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

kf6kmx wrote:Decided to go with the Revos...
Good choice. I had my first heavy rain test with the Revo's yesterday, and they surpassed my expectations. Makes me wonder why I kept those stock Goodyears so long? :?:

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
JimmyDiamond
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JimmyDiamond »

I'm going to Second the "Good Choice" comment.

If you were in a situation where you encountered MUD regularly then I'd say get the MT's but for a Daily driver the MT's would not be a good choice.

For a Daily driver the REVOs are great. Mine have about 22k on them and still look like new.

Steve
[size=75]2002 S-10 ZQ8- Too much to list= SOLD - 2003 Bonneville SLE - [url=http://images9.fotki.com/v187/photos/4/41590/841111/DSC00158-vi.jpg]2000 Jimmy Diamond Edition[/url] - 2006 Trailblazer LT V8 - 2006 Malibu SS[/size]