Best tired for stock rims?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Best tired for stock rims?

Post by kf6kmx »

New to the forum.. just found the web site.. Glad there is a site for our trucks! I was starting to feel alone out here :-) I dont see too many other Crewcabs around my area (maybe a 1/2 dozen total in the last year, here on the base, NAS Lemoore, there are at least 3 of us that I see once in a while going through the lines at the security gates). There are 3 others that live in town, one near me, one that is a pool company truck, and one is a city truck.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a more 'off roadable' tire.. the stock Laredo's arent bad, but they loose traction is loose dirt a lot. The stock tires have 36k miles on them now and look like they have anoth 10k or more left, but I want a more useful tread..

For now I'm keeping the stock rims (will be upgrading rims later as $ is available).. I'm looking for the best overall tire that will fit with the stock rims at stock ride height.. I've been told that I might get 30's in it, but havnet seen anyone locally to verify it.

On the tire itself, I've been looking at BFG All-Terrain and BFG Mud-Terrain. leaning more toward the A/T ones.
I do 90% of my driving right now on-highway, but do want the option to start doing more offroad with it.

Thanks for any suggestions
[size=75]-Scott-----'03 CrewCab S10 - Pewter
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

You opened yourself a can of worms with that question :) Do a few searches and you will see almost as many opinions as there are members :)
Look at this link for starters http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2077 or
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2137 and welcome aboard
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

30's will fit stock height. They look better with a bodylift though :-)

Edit:

30's will fit stock height, on stock rims, and would be a good starting point. If you go to those aftermarket rims you mention, they will likely have a wider backspacing, and then you may run into some clearance issues.

I would say do tires, and a set of Daystar shackles, and turn your torsion bars a few turns. You might look into rear wheel spacers, but if you plan on new rims, then you might wanna hold off on those.
Last edited by adrenalnjunky on Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Glad you found us :wave:

Are you any relation to Cale?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

f9k9 wrote:You opened yourself a can of worms with that question :) Do a few searches and you will see almost as many opinions as there are members :)
Look at this link for starters http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2077 or
http://www.s-10crewcab.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2137 and welcome aboard
After I asked the question I noticed! :)
[url]http://www.kf6kmx.net/s10tracker.asp[/url]<-- Follow this link to find my trucks current actual location! Updated whenever the ignition is on. (tracker radio is currently intermittant) Pioneer XM, MagnaFlow, Garmin GPS,Tornado AMS , APRS Tracker, 2m/440 Ham Radio, Vista Camper Shell (from SoCalDave) , JottoDesk laptop mount, Rancho 5000's, Revo 235 75R15 on stock rims[/size]
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

adrenalnjunky wrote:30's will fit stock height. They look better with a bodylift though :-)

Edit:

30's will fit stock height, on stock rims, and would be a good starting point. If you go to those aftermarket rims you mention, they will likely have a wider backspacing, and then you may run into some clearance issues.

I would say do tires, and a set of Daystar shackles, and turn your torsion bars a few turns. You might look into rear wheel spacers, but if you plan on new rims, then you might wanna hold off on those.
Thanks!
That answered a big question on the tire size..
I thought about the rear spacers to line up the wheels.. But was talking to someone who off-road races and he had an interesting point.. They put in front spacesrs to MAKE their trucks narrower in back.. to keep the rear tires from riding in the rut from the front tire.. He suggested leaving it offset (even though it looks a little strange) and it would do better off road, especially in loose surfaces? Made sense at the time :?
kf6kmx
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kf6kmx »

HenryJ wrote:Glad you found us :wave:

Are you any relation to Cale?
I'm glad I did to.. Found it by accident.. Was on mys10.com and a link on one of the crewcab trucks brought me here 8)

Not 100% sure on relation.. My grandfather used to say we were distant cousins.. The name is spelled different, but years ago my mother did family tree research and when you get back far enough, there were several times where brothers ended up using different spellings, either intentionally or by record errors, or due to the fact that a lot of records were lost/burned in fires/floods/tornados/etc (my father's side of the family if from Arkansas area)
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I have heard that too, if you get a chance to tlk to him again, or if anyone else here has advice, but something in my head keeps telling me it's an "old 4x4er's tale".

S-10 specs:
Front track = 57.2"
Rear track = 55.1"

My logic: Stock the rear track is barely 1" narrower per side, that's not a whole lot of tire that wouldn't be riding in those ruts made by the fronts. Adding a 1.75 inch rear wheel spacer like I did, will push my tire the 1" that lines it up with the front track, and then another .75". I have almost as much tire now that is not directly in trail with the front tire, it's just outboard of the front tire's track than inboard.

Now, the question is: "does having the slight overlap of tracks work better if the overlap is inboard or outboard?" And that, is a question that is beyond my knowledge - I drive a street queen :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kf6kmx wrote:...an interesting point.. They put in front spacesrs to MAKE their trucks narrower in back.. to keep the rear tires from riding in the rut from the front tire.. .
I hear the same thing, that it is so that the rear follows better in ruts. Not jumping around trying to float in the exact same rut.

Might be a good thing for a mudbogger. I don't have much of that in the desert :D

It definitely will not hurt anything.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

HenryJ wrote:
kf6kmx wrote:...an interesting point.. They put in front spacesrs to MAKE their trucks narrower in back.. to keep the rear tires from riding in the rut from the front tire.. .
I hear the same thing, that it is so that the rear follows better in ruts. Not jumping around trying to float in the exact same rut.

Might be a good thing for a mudbogger. I don't have much of that in the desert :D

It definitely will not hurt anything.
I also have heard that. I think it is actually an old MIL spec.
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

It probably wouldn't hurt on sand to have the offset either. But how much sand or mud will you be driving in? :)
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

Who is Cale :oops:
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maximous wrote:Who is Cale :oops:
Cale Yarborough

His name is Scott Yarbrough, I didn't notice the difference in spelling.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Maximous
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Maximous »

di you like maybe, ask that question then edit his last name out for security reasons or somrthnig, because all i see is scott :?
[size=75]Driver carries no money, he's a Government employee[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Maximous wrote:di you like maybe, ask that question then edit his last name out for security reasons or somrthnig, because all i see is scott :?
Nope, follow the link in his name above , then look at the bottom of that page. That is where I saw the last name :D

- ThunderII KE7CSK