Handling and towing improvements

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Opus

Handling and towing improvements

Post by Opus »

After installing Bilsteins, I still wanted some improvement in load carrying characteristics. So, I have ordered the Hellwig helper springs and the Hellwig anti-sway bar. I tow my 18' ski boat with my truck. At about 3200 lbs. loaded, it is well within the tow rating of the truck (5150 lbs.)

The Bilstein shocks made a dramatic improvement in overall ride. However, I still don't like the amount of body roll in the corners, and the rear still sags too much when the boat is hooked up. I've had the rear springs replaced (under warranty), because they didn't sit even. So, with the new springs, Bilstein shocks, Hellwig helper springs and anti-sway bar, I hope to get the ride I'm looking for. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions?

Other mods to my Crew Cab include Leer cap, and roof racks on the cap and the cab. Maybe someday I'll get around to posting some pics. :)
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I have a sagging rear when I tow my camper. I bought a weight distributing hitch and it solved my problem. You may want to look at edelbrock shocks. They would be my choice if I was not going with a lift. I may visit the local spring shop after my lift is installed. I want to sit a little low in back like a prerunner but I would like to be able to tow without the special hitch.

Brad
Freinds don't let freinds crank torsion bars.
Opus

Post by Opus »

I've used a WD hitch to tow with a Venture van. It definitely helps with the sagging rear end. However, most WD hitches do not work with surge brakes (most common on boat trailers). At some point, I will get a bigger boat. And, it will very likely have surge brakes. So, I'm thinking that the helper springs are the way to go.

As for the edelbrock shocks, I just put the Bilsteins on last month! And, I really like them.

Thanks for the comments. I'll post results here after I have installed the springs and anti-sway bar.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya, tranny cooler. got one? i have been thru NW ark and its hilly...tow in 3rd too....

also, i dont know what kind of helper spring you got, but a real AAL might be more effective. also, keeping with the 29's will help gearing and stabilitly while towing..other than that......
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Opus

Post by Opus »

A tranny cooler is a good suggestion. I've had that in the back of my mind. I will add one soon. Yep, it's a little hilly around here, but not too bad. And, yes, I always tow in 3rd.

The helper springs I ordered are Hellwig's LP-15. What is "AAL"? The sagging problem isn't real bad. It doesn't make my headlights shine in treetops or anything. It really only sags an inch or so. It drives fine, I just don't like the way it looks. :D

I will most likely stick with the stock tire size even when I buy new tires. I do a little offroading, but nothing that 29s won't do. I do occasionally have "issues" with ground clearance when running around the woods at my cabin. But, if I would drive a little more "conservatively", it would be less of a problem. :roll:
Retep
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Retep »

Opus wrote:The helper springs I ordered are Hellwig's LP-15. What is "AAL"? The sagging problem isn't real bad. It doesn't make my headlights shine in treetops or anything. It really only sags an inch or so. It drives fine, I just don't like the way it looks. :D
AAL = Add A Leaf.

I think you might want to look at this thread. It probably would be a much better solution than the Hellwig helpers.

Pete
[size=75][url=http://photobucket.com/albums/v179/retep910/S10/]2002 S10 Ext. Cab 4x4 Indigo Blue[/url]
Extang Black Max Tonneau, Rubber Bed Mat, Vent Visors, Bugflector II, SilverStar headlights, Dark Window Tint, Disabled DRL, Debadged, K&N Filter, Skid Plates, 1.25" Rear Wheel Spacers, Boise 3 aal kit, mild T-bar crank, Dueler A/T Revo[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Steven had the helper springs for towing his camper.

Pretty sure it worked well for him.

He did a "write-up" - Leaf Helper Spring that is on the mod page.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Opus

Post by Opus »

AAL = Add A Leaf.
Duh! :? :oops: I should have been able to figure that one out. Thanks Retep.

I saw the thread on the Boise Spring Works kit. It looks great! When I had my CJ-7, I put a 2" AAL lift on it. However, right now I'm not looking for lift on my CrewCab. I just don't want it to sag when I'm pulling my boat. I think the helper springs will accomplish that. In a few years, I might be interested in SuperLift's 6" kit. :D

HenryJ-- Thanks for the link to Steven's write-up. For some reason I hadn't seen that one.

It looks like Steven has a different version than I have ordered. He has the "EZ-550". I ordered the "LP-15". I believe the LP-15 is a heavier-duty version. From Hellwig's website (emphasis is mine):
The LP-15 kits are designed for compact and import trucks. They come with 4 spring units to go on each side of the axle. This kit will level up to the maximum gross vehicle weight of your truck.
I'll try to take pictures of the helper spring and anti-sway bar installations and post them here.
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I run my hitch with surge brakes. You must angle the chains on the torsion bars slightly to the rear.

Brad
Opus

Post by Opus »

Okay, I mis-spoke regarding the use of WD hitches with surge brakes. You can do it. You just don't get as much braking action because the WD hitch action decreases the amount of "push" the trailer puts on the surge mechanism. And, you could use a heavier duty actuator to overcome that limitation, if you wanted to.

I guess my real issue is that I just don't want to use a WD hitch! :roll:

Brad, what type of trailer do you pull? And, how much does it weigh?
Brad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Brad »

I am just sharing info not trying to talk you into it. I pull a 2500 lb. folding camper. Weight hitch is a pita to hook up but the handling is good.

Brad
Opus

Post by Opus »

I got the anti-sway bar yesterday and installed it last night. It made a big improvement in body roll. I like it! :D

Sorry, no pics of the install process. I was too anxious to get it on and take a test drive. :D :roll:

It took less than an hour to install. It's a completely bolt-on kit. I didn't have to drill/weld/cut anything. The end-link brackets are attached to frame immediately behind the shock mounts, using square u-bolts. The bar is mounted to the axle tubes using u-bolts and a "cradle" bracket.

The instructions that Hellwig includes are from an install done on a truck with a mini spare. I have a full size spare. It's a real tight fit. But, it does fit. I had to take the spare down to do the install. I also have a receiver hitch. That added to the space issue. To get the full size spare stowed back under the bed, I have to angle it up between the hitch and the anti-sway bar. Once it's up against the bottom of the bed, it fits fine. Also, clearance between the tail pipe and the end-link bracket is real tight.

Helper springs should arrive on Tuesday. I should have them installed by Wednesday.

Adding a rear anti-sway bar is a "must-do" mod in my opinion.

Brad,
Weight hitch is a pita to hook up
That's one reason I don't want to use one. Also, typically a camper trailer is set up with a tongue weight of about 10-15% of the trailer weight. Due to the way a boat is built (engine and drive in the rear), boats typically have a tongue weight of less than 10%. As I said earlier, I have used a WD hitch on a Venture van. I still have that hitch if I decide it would help.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Opus wrote:

Adding a rear anti-sway bar is a "must-do" mod in my opinion.
I'll second that :D :D :D for On-Roaders
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
Opus

Post by Opus »

The helper springs arrived on Tuesday. But... the box had been broken open during shipping and re-taped. Upon opening it, I discovered that a few pieces were missing. :(

Called the vendor yesterday, and they said they would take care of it. About 10 minutes after talking to the vendor, a guy from Hellwig called to confirm what parts I needed and said he would ship them out immediately. :D

Looks it will be next week before I can install them.

Jim, why do you say the anti-sway bar is good "for On-Roaders"? I do a little bit of off road driving and don't see how the anti-sway bar would be a problem there. Granted, I don't do an serious rock-crawling, or get into anything that causes severe twisting.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

opus, sway bar limits flex, thats why jim said that. when i off road i took my front sway bar off and of course i never had a rear. but yes you are right, a sway bar isnt going to hinder you at all. i would get one
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

a2b wrote:opus, sway bar limits flex, thats why jim said that. when i off road i took my front sway bar off and of course i never had a rear. but yes you are right, a sway bar isnt going to hinder you at all. i would get one
ya
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.