Front Diff. Selectable Locker?

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Front Diff. Selectable Locker?

Post by killian96ss »

Does anyone know of a company that makes a selectable locker for our front differential? I know there are plenty of options on lockers for the rear, but I haven't seen anything for the front. :?:
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

A locker for the front isn't really a good idea in our trucks since the front end is so weak. Also...with all the difficulty to even get at the front diff, I doubt anyone would take the time to try and create one.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

AZS10Crew wrote:A locker for the front isn't really a good idea in our trucks since the front end is so weak. Also...with all the difficulty to even get at the front diff, I doubt anyone would take the time to try and create one.
I agree, the 7.25" front is not the place for a locker.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

AZS10Crew wrote:A locker for the front isn't really a good idea in our trucks since the front end is so weak. Also...with all the difficulty to even get at the front diff, I doubt anyone would take the time to try and create one.
Does this mean that there are no options for the 7.25" front differential, other than switching to a SFA? Can limited slips be used on the front differential? I want maximum traction without going the SFA route. I'm considering a Eaton E-locker for the rear if they make one for the 7.5", but I don't know what to do with the front.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I know some people that have put Lockrite in it, but I wouldn't. That's about the only choice that I know of.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

I wouldn't lock the front at all. SFA is the only way to go for a strong, lockable front diff.
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

its not really a choice.

locking the front is simply not an option on the front end.

are you wanting traction on the road or off road? if you want an all wheel drive truck you will have to replace the tcase. you cant drive on the streets 4wd in stock form.

if you dont want to go sfa, then you would have to install a toy tocoma IFS front and then put an arb in that.

by the time you do that, you could of installed dana 60's front and rear :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I am only looking to improve off road traction, the truck does just fine on the street. Depending on how well the factory automatic rear locking differential works, I would say that I'm only getting power to 2 maybe 3 wheels off road. I would like to be closer to 3 or 4 wheel drive. This is why I was wondering if a limited slip would work on the front. It looks like a selectable locker on the front would be a bad idea for the weak 7.25". Any other ideas? Thanks, Steve.
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

You have to really look at what you're going to be driving on. I've been on a lot of trails here in AZ, and the ones that would require me to have front and rear lockers also require a good bit more ground clearance than is available...even if you'd have a lift. A friend of mine with a Toyota Tacoma with 3" lift and a rear locker goes a lot of places that mine won't just because of the rear locker. If you're wanting to drive on really extreme stuff, then you should do SFA anyway to get more ground clearance.

Strength is the key with S-10's...and our front ends don't really have it. For terrain requiring a front locker, you'll need a pretty good lift and bigger tires (at least 33's). And I don't think running 33's on our stock front ends for any amount of time over rough terrain is a good idea. I know guys that have broken front ends with stock 28" Uniroyal tires.

In a nutshell...get the rear locker first. If that doesn't take you where you want to go, then go SFA.
[size=75]Mark
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

ya mark is right. his territory that requires lockers also requires lifts and shorter wheel bases and 33's...

but if you are mudding and you want all 3 wheel drive goin :wink: if you have the g-80 then you are fine, but if you are open, throw a lockright back there. for mud, both front wheels turn pretty good. its only when one front wheel gets totally bound up that it wont turn while the other one turns
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Thanks for all the replies. I do have the G80, 3.73's, and 31" MT/R's, so all I might do is get a selectable locker for the rear. I really wanted to do the Rubicon, but alot of people are telling me that 33's, and front and rear lockers are almost mandatory on parts of this trail. I think I'll just stick to the mild rock trails and good mud holes. :)
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

It all depends on what you want to do. Bottom line is that the S-10 is not a good platform to build a rig out of. It is a great truck, and has a lot of good qualitys. However, for serious off roading, there are better choices. There are several choices that in their stock form are very trail worthy. The Jeeps and the Toyota's are among the best. Not to mention you have an aftermarket with anything you could want. Although I dont think they look as good as the S-10.

As far as riding the Rubicon, I have done it a couple of times in my jeep. I saw Mark Smith drive the whole thing in a stock wrangler back in 93'. As he told me "Its all about knowing how to drive." But I think the long wheel base of the S-10 would cause some problems on that trail. Not to mention that the approach and departure angles are not that great. Now Sledge Hammer is a different story. You do need lockers, tries, and spare parts. :D
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

killian96ss wrote:Thanks for all the replies. I do have the G80, 3.73's, and 31" MT/R's, so all I might do is get a selectable locker for the rear. I really wanted to do the Rubicon, but alot of people are telling me that 33's, and front and rear lockers are almost mandatory on parts of this trail. I think I'll just stick to the mild rock trails and good mud holes. :)
Only choice that I know of for the rear is the Detroit. I got it and it would have been my choice anyhow if I had a choice. lol
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]