30's or 31's with a 2" bl

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

30's or 31's with a 2" bl

Post by Walt »

Hey everybody....I just found the site and I love it! I just bought (yesterday), an 01 S-10 CrewCab 4x4. The person who had it before me put a 2" body lift on it. I've verified that there are NO suspension lifts or mods. I've already got a pair of 2" wheel spacers on order to get those back tires out some....man that's ugly! Reminds me of the wheels on a train being tucked under the body. Anyways, the tires on the truck now are 235/75/15's. I know fitting 30x9.5x15's will be easy, but what about 31x10.5x15's? I absolutely WILL NOT trim or beat my fenders, so if 31's won't fit, I'll go with 30's on the front. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Walt
Last edited by Walt on Fri May 12, 2006 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Welcome! Glad you found THE site!
Your question is the popular one , and everyone seems to ask it ;)
Do a search for tires, size, 31", or 31's and you will get tons of information.
There are several running 31's you just have to select the small ones (30.5" or less)

Minimum Lift For 31X10.5 Tires?

You can check out my truck with 31's from the ThunderII link in my signature line.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Unless someone made a custom bodylift, the only Kit for the truck is a 2 inch bodylift. It's easiest to just take a tape measure, and measure one of the blocks at a bodymount somewhere.

Have you checked the rear shackles to see if they're stock? Longer shackles will lift the rear a little.

Welcome to the board.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

So where could I get the body lift kit. performanceaccessories.com doesn't seem to sell to the public
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

couple of other threads on that as well, but I got mine from Summit Racing. At the time they were a few bucks cheaper than everyone else, and had a free shipping promotion going on. www.summitracing.com

4wheel parts ( www.4wheelparts.com ) just sent me an email telling me that they have 10% off everything this weekend only. Might be a good deal there as well. their website says that it's all a free shipping month with them.

Either way you're looking in the $165 to $190 range I believe, and there are lots of threads on installing, as several of us have done our own. Matter of fact, i bet there are more people here that installed thier own kit than those that had their kits installed for them.

And hey -- you're doing a truck, you get to do the cab , then the bed, I had to lift all of my blazer at once, by myself.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Mike H.
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Mike H. »

adrenalnjunky wrote:......and there are lots of threads on installing, as several of us have done our own. Matter of fact, i bet there are more people here that installed thier own kit than those that had their kits installed for them.

And hey -- you're doing a truck, you get to do the cab , then the bed, I had to lift all of my blazer at once, by myself.
You know, is there anybody that actually posts on here that has NOT done it themselves? I think we have actually convinced a few of the guys that were going to have it done, to actually do it themselves.

And your blazer may have been easier........ You only had to move your jack once :lol:
[size=75][url=http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst?.dir=/&.src=ph&.done=http%3a//f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mikeh3235/lst%3f%26.dir=/2002%2bGMC%2bCrew%2bCab-Spacers%26.src=ph%26.view=l&.view=l]Yahoo Photo Pages[/url]
(previous) 2002 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab
(now) 2004 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 Crew Cab[/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Maybe so, except for the one little omission on the PA installation manual where they told me that there should only be 5 bolts per side holding the body on for a 2000 Blazer, and 6 for 2001's and up.

Yeah I jacked that body up to where I had 4 inches of space on the front bodymount, but for some reason the back of the truck woudn't lift off enough for me to put a block in.

then I started looking round and found that 6th bolt hidden up above the rear axle.

But hey--reading on this board these experiences make it easier for the next guy who tries it.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Alrighty, I think I might have decided on a course of action. Since I have a 2" body lift, I think I'll raise the front end via the torsion bars, and raise the rear end via shackles. This should add 1" of suspension lift to my truck. Would 31x10.5x15 tires fit without rubbing at all on stock wheels?

Thanks!

--Walt
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:....Would 31x10.5x15 tires fit without rubbing at all on stock wheels?
No.

With that combination there is no way to eliminate all rubbing.
They will rub the frame (rear inside), some more than others.

Tires make a big difference, there is no way to say that you will not have problems, if the actual tire diameter is not known. Example: BFG AT's rub everywhere- big dia. 30.7"+ and sharp side lugs. Geolandar MT's smaller diameter 30.4"- and rounded shoulders offer better clearances.

Am I saying that there is no rubbing with the Geolandars? No, they still rub the frame as any 10.5 will.
BFG's will rub both the frame and rear fenderwell, which will need to be altered with a BFH.

There is another thread ,or six that explains the whole tire size/rubbing issue. I guess we need to put together a web page that explains the whole situation, but there are so many variables it makes that difficult.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

That would be an awesome idea....and put the page under the mod info on the website.
kmitchell

Post by kmitchell »

Thanks for the help guys
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Let me ask you guys another question....

Frame Rubbing does not really bother me (was used to it on another vehicle), but if I went with a decent brand 31x10.5x15 tire that wasn't extremely square, but presented a good tread surface, would they rub the fenders with my 2" body lift and 1" to 2" suspension lift?

By the way, I'll never do any severe off roading....the most I use my 4wd is for boats and going to my father-in-law's lake, so mostly minor stuff. I won't be bottoming out the suspension, but I do life in a "hilly" area, so my suspension will be stretched and compressed at times, but never at high speeds. just thought I'd add that...
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

wamason wrote:Let me ask you guys another question....

Frame Rubbing does not really bother me (was used to it on another vehicle), but if I went with a decent brand 31x10.5x15 tire that wasn't extremely square, but presented a good tread surface, would they rub the fenders with my 2" body lift and 1" to 2" suspension lift?

By the way, I'll never do any severe off roading....the most I use my 4wd is for boats and going to my father-in-law's lake, so mostly minor stuff. I won't be bottoming out the suspension, but I do life in a "hilly" area, so my suspension will be stretched and compressed at times, but never at high speeds. just thought I'd add that...
They would probably not rub on the fenders...if you put them on the stock wheels. Aftermarket wheels with anything less then the stock 6" backspacing will rub on the back of the wheel well and maybe the rear of the fendcer lip also.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I have a 3/4" T-Bar crank up front and nothing in the rear with my 2" BL with 31X10.5/15 Goodyear MT/R's ( 30.4" ) and I have been off road a couple of times with some good flexing and the only rubbing I had was on the front inside frame and a little on the inside rear wheel wells.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

After reading some other posts on this forum, I've decided against the Torsion Bar Lift, mainly due to the CV Boot problem. I like to have a vehicle that is as low-maintenance as possible, that's one reason I don't do much off-roading. I guess I'll just stick with my 2" Body lift and go with 265x75x15 tires (30x10.4x15) unless anyone has another low-maintenance suggestion...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

wamason wrote:After reading some other posts on this forum, I've decided against the Torsion Bar Lift, mainly due to the CV Boot problem. ...
That is a safe way to go. Don't be afraid to maintain the stock Z height over the life of your vehicle. Although the reverse of a "T-bar crank" is probably not as hard on CV boots?
I think that the majority are not having problems with mildly raising the front to level, or just under, with stock rear springs.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I just found out that my Torsion Bars have been cracked to the absolute max before I bought the truck, so I took it back to the dealer and made them put it in writing that they would warranty any problems caused by this for the entire life of my extended warranty (100k miles).

Also, anyone tried 2" rear spacers? I put them on mine and I like the look of the rear wheels alot better than with smaller spacers, it makes thge rear wheels stick out from the fenders alot more like the fronts.

--Walt
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

wamason wrote:Also, anyone tried 2" rear spacers? I put them on mine and I like the look of the rear wheels alot better than with smaller spacers, it makes thge rear wheels stick out from the fenders alot more like the fronts.

--Walt
Yep...I did. I've got 4.5" BS wheels too, so mine's about 7" wider than stock in the rear. :)

I think quickbiker's got 2.5" spacers or something like that on the rear of his.
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning.
I just bought the PA#192 body lift.
I can't wait too install it. :D :D
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

kwalsh wrote:I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning.
I just bought the PA#192 body lift.
I can't wait too install it. :D :D
good luck!!!
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]