2004 crew cab suspension lift

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

justinlee5
Regular
Regular

2004 crew cab suspension lift

Post by justinlee5 »

Hello, I just bought a 2004 crew cab. I am interested in a 5" suspension lift. I actually called Truckin suspension and they said that their 4.5/5" lift kit for non zr2 s-10 should work. Does anyone have any info on whether this is a decent kit. I don't just want it for looks I want it for actual off road use.

In addition, online the kit says that it is for years 83-02. Were there any major modifications from 2002 to 2004?

Thanks
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

a warm welcome to the forum. Nice to see another New Englander. As far as a 5" lift kit, there are several people who have them or have had them done. Matt (warnoffroad) had the 4.5" kit on his truck and after a few thousand miles of off-roading, something broke and he went SFA. Highroller has the 7" kit and has had no complaints. Paul (quickbiker) has the trailmaster 5" kit and he will state his opinion on it when he sees this post. I think most of us agree that the trailmaster kit is a better kit all around.

Just recently, there has been a 6" superlift kit in the works but as for production, we don't know when and if it will happen.

Let me know if you plan on installing any kit. I'd be glad to help and even offer my garage to use. maybe if I see a positive outcome, i'd get a kit also (still debating on purchasing a new truck or keeping the crew)
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

First, welcome aboard :D
This seems to be a pretty popular question, and has been discussed many times.
Try a search for TS, and TM, or 5"

There have been a few who dislike the TS lift due to some problems in installation. However Highroller has one and has had no problems.

Paul, Quickbiker is running the TM (Trail Master) 5" lift and has had pretty good luck with it. Here is the link to the Trailmaster page.

Paul has install instructions with a pictorial on his website.

P.S. I am not aware of any differences in the 2004 that would pose any problems. The changes from 2001-present have been minor so far.
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
justinlee5
Regular
Regular

Post by justinlee5 »

I took a look at your cc which let me say looks awesome.

I am really on the fence about a suspension lift vs just doing a body lift. One of my thoughts was a 3" bl with some tbar cranking and rear shackles to try and get 31 or even 32 on. It looks like from the pics that you seem to have no problems off road. I have the time and $ for a suspension lift, but I don't really feel that I have the experience to pull it off like paul. A body lift on the other hand would be quicker and less costlier.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

justinlee5 wrote:I took a look at your cc which let me say looks awesome.

I am really on the fence about a suspension lift vs just doing a body lift. One of my thoughts was a 3" bl with some tbar cranking and rear shackles to try and get 31 or even 32 on. It looks like from the pics that you seem to have no problems off road. I have the time and $ for a suspension lift, but I don't really feel that I have the experience to pull it off like paul. A body lift on the other hand would be quicker and less costlier.
Thanks, the PA 2" BL is what you would use.
31" tires are possible , but must run on the small side (30.5" or less , IMO )
The lift you need really depends on the terrain you frequent.
If you are in the BIG rock, heavy articulation, high ground clearance or deep mud, then 5" suspension minimum or even SFA.

If your terrain is milder like my high desert, or high speed baja running and you can get by with the 9.5" ground clearance, then the BL works fine.

Bear in mind that aftermarket wheels with less rearspacing are possible with the suspension lifts. You're pretty much limited to the stock rearspacing if you use the BL.

Personally I am happy with my truck, and it has handled anything that I have desired to do with it.

Our (Isuzu) rear wheel openings are only 31" and the fronts are very limited , so 31" is the max without a MAJOR lift. I'd say if you plan on offroading much forget the 32" or larger without either BL+suspension (or SFA) unless you are comfortable with some pretty extensive cutting ;)

P.S. check out the Boise Spring Works kit for your rear spring lift if you plan on the T-bar crank. It keeps the stock ride characteristics, is designed for our truck, doesn't risk the sway that can occur with shackles while towing (if that is a concern )
Last edited by HenryJ on Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

howdy!

Call Truckin back and tell them they suck!! I put the kit on at 1700 miles then pulled it off at 4300 becuase I was working on it every weekend, and then the front diff blew out which was a good 4200$ fix. Honestly, go TM and have a shop do it, so if something does go wrong you'll have someone to fall back on.
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: 2004 crew cab suspension lift

Post by quickbiker »

justinlee5 wrote:Hello, I just bought a 2004 crew cab. I am interested in a 5" suspension lift. I actually called Truckin suspension and they said that their 4.5/5" lift kit for non zr2 s-10 should work. Does anyone have any info on whether this is a decent kit. I don't just want it for looks I want it for actual off road use.

In addition, online the kit says that it is for years 83-02. Were there any major modifications from 2002 to 2004?

Thanks
Good luck with whatever you do. I remember being at the same place you were. When I wanted a lift, nobody knew anything. I had the 01, when it first came out. I just did some part number searches and the like for anything different between the 99's and 01's. couldn't find any reason it wouldn't fit. All front suspsension part numbers were the same between 01's and 99's. So I just said, the heck with it and ordered the 99 5" TM lift. I'm still verry happy with it. But the only part that I will warn you about if you do any serious off-roading. The Tbar drops suck! Get the tbar relocators and get back the clearance. If you go with anything else, I don't have any personal experience other than TM. Good luck!
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
justinlee5
Regular
Regular

Post by justinlee5 »

Paul,

thanks for your post. I basically want your truck (except mine is in red). Do you know how I could find out if there is any real difference from 01 to 04? I actually called the dealership and they were not helpful at all. Did you search a GM catalogue?

Second, I am not sure if I am capable of this undertaking. I am not an idiot or poor with my hands, but I don't have a garage or all of the tools. Would you trust a shop? I actually lived in DC for 4 years and I visit often. Do you know of a shop in VA or MD that you would trust?

Justin
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

It's the same exact truck. You can looks up some part numbers here: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/

I really don't know personally anyone to recommend. I guess just go with your gut feeling. There are a few lift shops around here, but opinions vary. You should have some up your way.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

the only...

Post by KCustom »

the only differences that I have found is the exaust manifolds. 01 and 02 had airpipe connections and I believe that 03 and 04 do not. I have not found any in the suspension......
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: the only...

Post by HenryJ »

KCustom wrote:the only differences that I have found is the exaust manifolds. 01 and 02 had airpipe connections and I believe that 03 and 04 do not. ...
That is due to the redesigned EGR system.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
KCustom
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

headers..

Post by KCustom »

I got the headers with the s/c and I need to send them back to jba and get the right ones......
2003 Sonoma Crew Cab, Superlift 6", PA 2" BL, KMC XD Enduros, BF Goodrich 315-70-17s, Powerdyne SC, JBA wires,headers and catback, CAI, Crossdrilled & Slotted rotors, Prerunner bar W/ fogs, bed mount spare, Custom rear buckets...