Want to make something clear about SFA.

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Want to make something clear about SFA.

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

MY trk is a 2001 chevy s10 crew cab with a Dana 44 front/ rear axles (6 lug) not a dana 30 or 35 - willing to give casting #'s front axle from a jeep wagoneer 1982 with lock out hubs, and the rear from a jeep wagoneer grand, 1988 i am sitting on 39.5 swampers with 15x14 mickey thompson classic 2 rims I built the trk with a buddy in his back yard the only thing that was bought was the shackles and shocks, all tubing, steering components, and front cross member was made in our shop even the dual shock hoops, If you want to get more technical we can do so but dont talk smack if you dont know what you are talking about, and for the fullsize in warn's pics, that fullsize is with me as well.
2bunik
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2bunik »

:x I understand you might be a little upset but hey get over it. if you say you have a 50 cal. in the bed of your truck. then you have a 50 cal. no numbers needed you get my drift...we are here to inform each other on our crews. So what does this post have to do with SFA's again?Image :poke:
Imagebeatles
[size=75]TARMAC TRENDZ car club
2003 GMC Zr5 maroon or somethingto it.
Two 10s in a custom box and Pioneer Premier 400w amp, Quad mod,Body lift, bed light.
http://www.tarmactrendz.vze.com/[/size]
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

well casting #'s are used to id an axle for its aplication and since everyone thinks i am running a 35 in the rear of my trk i can prove other wise since warn must not know his own trk too well - - yes i can admit that what i have read from everyone on here has something to say negitve things, but thats ok because warn might be bigger but i am not after size i just want a clean/ good looking trk.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote: i am not after size i just want a clean/ good looking trk.
I think you got your wish, the truck DOES look good :thumb:
Don't take anything here personally, were all just here to offer different points of view, debate them and share information.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

sweet..glad you showed up here..
now you can tell us the real specs of how you built your truck.
so what kind of steering setup did you do..got any pics???
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

WHOOOOOHHHHHH NOW!!!!! Everyone (and that includes exsisting members) take a deep breath. Remember? We don't bash other people for real on here. Do a search for "warm fuzzies" and you'll see a long thread about how NICE this forum is....Maybe Warn should've talked to the guy before posting info on the truck.... Sorry about the circumstances, but nice to have you, Bad Butt...... :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

NTXCrew wrote:WHOOOOOHHHHHH NOW!!!!! Everyone (and that includes exsisting members) take a deep breath. Remember? We don't bash other people for real on here. Do a search for "warm fuzzies" and you'll see a long thread about how NICE this forum is....Maybe Warn should've talked to the guy before posting info on the truck.... Sorry about the circumstances, but nice to have you, Bad Butt...... :D
mabey you could play him a song :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

:cry: All these SFA's are in FL. Dag nabbit.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Is Warn hiding now? :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

a2b wrote:
NTXCrew wrote:WHOOOOOHHHHHH NOW!!!!! Everyone (and that includes exsisting members) take a deep breath. Remember? We don't bash other people for real on here. Do a search for "warm fuzzies" and you'll see a long thread about how NICE this forum is....Maybe Warn should've talked to the guy before posting info on the truck.... Sorry about the circumstances, but nice to have you, Bad Butt...... :D
mabey you could play him a song :lol:
Yo, lay off the 6 string, sucka foo!!!! :D :D We've already been down this road before.... :D But I took some pics of my truck, so when I get the film developed (which is like once a week when your wife scrapbooks), I'll scan 'em in for you. :D
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

hey BAS, sweet looking truck, very nice and well built. Sorry about the rear axle thing but it looks just like the 35 in my wrangler. And like HJ said, I was wrong about your not being a true CC. Because he has the same front air damn, no hard feelings, sweet truck and welcome to the page!

I saw yuor truck at hardcoreminis about 2 weeks ago, why was it on a trailer in the parking lot, and not in the show??
[size=75]02 ZR5 CC, SFA D44 front, D60 rear, 40" IROKs, np200 2nd t-case. SOLD
05 F-350 CC FX4 Diesel, 7" lift 37" toyos, 14.18 1/4 mile ET[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:Is Warn hiding now? :lol:
Yeah im skerd now :(
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote::cry: All these SFA's are in FL. Dag nabbit.
We have to go SFA, because it's the best rock crawling set up. and we NEED that in florida :wink:
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Rocks in FL? Where? :?
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:well casting #'s are used to id an axle for its aplication and since everyone thinks i am running a 35 in the rear of my trk i can prove other wise since warn must not know his own trk too well - - yes i can admit that what i have read from everyone on here has something to say negitve things, but thats ok because warn might be bigger but i am not after size i just want a clean/ good looking trk.
Sorry but your rear axle looks alot smaller then a d44, but we both have the same axles (1982 wagoneer) so were like twins :roll: as in trucks . Honestly dude I aint after size either, I wouldnt mind droppin down to a 37". And you got that sweet clean sport look you were after.

Dont post your truck on ZR2.com, those morrons will do nothing but bash your truck, and say you need to be put in jail.
Last edited by Warnoffroad on Mon Nov 24, 2003 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

See? Warm fuzzies..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Doesn't everyone feel better now? :D
-Jim
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

never felt better, glad to see hes apart of us. Never dis liked his truck at all, the best soild axle swap steering set up I have ever seen.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

BTW, now that I have another SFA to relate too, what brand and size leafs do you have? How did you lift the rear?
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:everyone thinks i am running a 35 in the rear.
"thinks"
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, I probably got more questions than would be resonable. Since bad can probably answer them since he built his vice Warn! hahaha :lol:
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

HenryJ wrote:
Don't take anything here personally, were all just here to offer different points of view, debate them and share information.

I second that. Good looking truck.
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
Amateur Radio Operator KC4-IKR[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Crew02 wrote:
HenryJ wrote:

I second that. Good looking truck.
third
Conman
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Conman »

Where are the pics! :)

Welcome!

Con
[size=75]2007 Hummer H3 all Stock
Sold: 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z71 all Stock.
Sold: 2002 Chevy S10 Crew Cab ZR5 - Mods: Truxedo Bed Cover, APC and TYC Lights.[/size]
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:Rocks in FL? Where? :?
well, im talking about florida rocks. Do you know what a rice burner is?
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Warnoffroad wrote:
quickbiker wrote:Rocks in FL? Where? :?
well, im talking about florida rocks. Do you know what a rice burner is?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

lets hear some specs on his truck???

what kind of springs? how much lift in them? what is the lenght? where is your center hole? stuff like that
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

ok , now that I have let off some steam i can get u all the pics you want but it may take a few days, my buddy took off for LA and took my camera with him and of course its digital and I have to wait till he gets back to up load some new pics, but anyways about my trk: I have dana 44 front and rear the came out of wagoneers and running 8" skyjacker soft ride springs in the front and with a leaf over axle it puts my lift some where in the area of 12" - 13" total lift ( no boby lift ) i used Ford superduty shackles in the front along with a front cross member, the rear is still pretty much stock with a leaf over conv. and a 5" block and a 2" add a leaf, i didnt want to change too much in the rear just cause I wanted to keep a good ride and didn't want sink alot of money back there just yet because I havent decided if I want to go up any more. My first goal was to complete the SFA and see how see rode before i went any bigger in lift, that burnt orange fullsize that warn has pics of is a buddy of mine and has 27" of lift and it rides like a tank, I am more for comfort.
I still have the 4.3 with 29700 miles but have changed the gears to 4.56 in the front and rear end.
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

8) just a note, I checked the casting #'s on the front and rear before installing or for that matter cleaning /cutting/welding on either one, both have 30 spline axles and are 6 on 5.5 ( fullsize chevy lug pattern )
Last edited by Bad_Ass_S10 on Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

oh, one other thing: I dont rubb anywhere
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:oh, one other thing: I dont rubb anywhere
bet i can make them rub :lol:

so your leaf pack are 48"? are they the same lenght front and rears? and how thick are they and the width?
besides motor, are you still stock tranny and tcase?
how's the front dshaft angle?
and are you going to stay with 39's on 44' with 15x14 rims?
also, lately i have been trying to get weights of wheels..do you happen to know what your wheels weigh? i dont remember the pic, are they steel or aluminum...cast or forged?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:oh, one other thing: I dont rubb anywhere
Are you sure? im not saying any thing bad, and dont take this the wrong way. But the paint looked like it was rubbed on at the very tip of the fender.

And like Hobie said, i can make them rub. I tower over my 40s, I could fit a 42 and maybe a 44. But I hardly trust the dana 44 as it is, and I rub with 40s. when my IROKs have had there life, ill prolly go to a 40" STS, and get a 37" IROK for the trails. That way I have more power, ill trust my axles more, and ill be able to flex alot more.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote: some where in the area of 12" - 13" total lift.
Your higher then that. I had about 12 or 11 and sat on 35s perfectly. there is a member here that has about 8" of suspension lift a 2" BL and can only fit 33s. Im pushing 17", so you would have to be atleast 14" and that is just suspension.
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

i think they are 53" but have to remeasure, I ordered them for a pre '87 1/2 ton chevy and they are 2 1/2 wide and I think tehy a little longer than the rears. I think the rears are some where around 50"
Still stock tranny and t-case.
front drive shaft not in now but working on that part- some guy in CA or CO says he can make a D.S. using 2 cv joint that will allow up to 80 degrees without vibration
I plan on running 39.5 tsl's for now -till the tires wear out then I will decide if I am going to go any bigger. My girlfriend has a hard enough time getting in now
my rims are polished alum. mickey thompsons
Ok let me rephase the rubbing, I could make them rub but i dont when i make u turns or any thing like that, as for the rub marks on top of fender, when i was running stock tires i took my tuck off road and hit some big ruts and that is what made thes marks. I dont worry about the front, for i used 1/2 ton springs but the back may if i hit a hole good enough, still running stock springs that will give alot more than front
I havent really measured how much lift i have, I just figured that a spring over is about 5" and 8" skyjacker soft ride springs up front gives me about 13" total - as for warn, I saw some of his pics of his shckles and we used a differnt setup, which his is all welded under/lower than frame as for mine i put mine on inside of frame which means i lost some hight but i think it looks neater, but i like his setup and his shackles are longer than mine so he probalby sits higher- I used ford superduty shackles and retaining brackets.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:i think they are 53" but have to remeasure, I ordered them for a pre '87 1/2 ton chevy and they are 2 1/2 wide and I think tehy a little longer than the rears. I think the rears are some where around 50"
Still stock tranny and t-case.
front drive shaft not in now but working on that part- some guy in CA or CO says he can make a D.S. using 2 cv joint that will allow up to 80 degrees without vibration
I plan on running 39.5 tsl's for now -till the tires wear out then I will decide if I am going to go any bigger. My girlfriend has a hard enough time getting in now
my rims are polished alum. mickey thompsons
Ok let me rephase the rubbing, I could make them rub but i dont when i make u turns or any thing like that, as for the rub marks on top of fender, when i was running stock tires i took my tuck off road and hit some big ruts and that is what made thes marks. I dont worry about the front, for i used 1/2 ton springs but the back may if i hit a hole good enough, still running stock springs that will give alot more than front
I havent really measured how much lift i have, I just figured that a spring over is about 5" and 8" skyjacker soft ride springs up front gives me about 13" total - as for warn, I saw some of his pics of his shckles and we used a differnt setup, which his is all welded under/lower than frame as for mine i put mine on inside of frame which means i lost some hight but i think it looks neater, but i like his setup and his shackles are longer than mine so he probalby sits higher- I used ford superduty shackles and retaining brackets.
I didnt see any rub marks on the top of the fenders, but on the bottom.
I just ran to the dealer and the bottom of the side mirror on a stocker is 42.5" from the ground. Mine is 67" off the ground so 40"-28"= 6" of lift from the tires. 66.5-42.5=24" total. 24"-6"= 18" of suspension lift :shock:

BAS, how high is your mirror?
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

i will go measure it............. back mine is 63" off the ground
Last edited by Bad_Ass_S10 on Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

alright
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

80 degrees :shock:

time for dual tcases..which you need anyways to turn those meats if you plan on climbing anything...

so what are you going to do about lockers?
and protection?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

ok i got the measurement which is 63" which means warn is about 3-1/2 taller than me but he has a differnt setup with his shackles - i will get you pics when my buddy gets back with my digital camera - i have the pics but need to upload them
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:80 degrees :shock:

time for dual tcases..which you need anyways to turn those meats if you plan on climbing anything...

so what are you going to do about lockers?
and protection?
Im workin on that dual case thing, im goin to welding class in a few. And ill get the news on the NP205 ive been after for awhile now.

no lockers needed, i have a heavy foot :P
I think thats his business :wink:
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

well i dont think i need to worry about climbing too much in florida but plan on running a locker in rear and spool up front, all we have here is swamp no major hill climbs and i just have to worry about getting though the mud. but i plan on running a flotting t-case just for now i dont want to cut up mu interior to install the shifter - i admit - right now i just want to show it off and keep it clean but after a few more truck shows and i get a few more miles on it i dont plan on running the stock t-case just because its junk
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:ok i got the measurement which is 63" which means warn is about 3-1/2 taller than me but he has a differnt setup with his shackles - i will get you pics when my buddy gets back with my digital camera - i have the pics but need to upload them
very true, but you cant see my new fron cross member, and only some of my hangers. So im happy with my set up, for now.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

:lol: :lol:

no lockers needed? ummmm. its one thing if you are purposely building a show truck, but if you claim to wheel it, i am going to give you lots of grief for not having lockers :?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote::lol: :lol:

no lockers needed? ummmm. its one thing if you are purposely building a show truck, but if you claim to wheel it, i am going to give you lots of grief for not having lockers :?
haha im just bustin ur balls dude, im workin on it. Im still trying to figure if I want to keep my axles. Ill end up doing dana 60 outers on my front axle, but I may go to a 60 rear. damn there are too many options with this SFA stuff !
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

and read this thread about dual cases behind a 4.3..i didnt read it all the way through..

see if it can apply to your truck and then show your builder and see what he thinks

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthre ... did=197436
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

the locker will be in the rear and spool up front will be in before i try to tackle any hting too deep but i will say that my truck does good for now.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

what locker?
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

i havent read the thread yet but there is a s10 extended cab here is tampa the has a floating t - case behind his 4.3 but he is only sitting on 35 at the most. i havent seen a dual t-case setup for ur lil ole cases
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

warn - i did alot of research before dumping my 44's under my trk. I dont see why you would need anything bigger. we both have 30 spline front axles that are really used under 1/2 ton trucks that i have seen take some major abuse and we are now where near the weight by buddy has a 81 chevy 1/2 with a dana 44 up front and he runs the sh** out of it - everyday drive and off to the mud hole on the weeekends running a 350 motor and once a month putting it on a pad for tug-a-war. I think that sice i have an Idea of what kinda abuse you will be putting ur trk though i shouldnt have any problems- we only live 1-1/2 hrs away form each other- the terrain cant change that much
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Warnoffroad wrote:

haha im just bustin ur balls dude, im workin on it. Im still trying to figure if I want to keep my axles. Ill end up doing dana 60 outers on my front axle, but I may go to a 60 rear. damn there are too many options with this SFA stuff !
ya i know you wheel your truck. dont get me wrong. youve broken more than anyone...

if you are going to be a 40's...throw that 14bolt in the rear. its cheap and put the 60 in front...thats a common swap..
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:i havent read the thread yet but there is a s10 extended cab here is tampa the has a floating t - case behind his 4.3 but he is only sitting on 35 at the most. i havent seen a dual t-case setup for ur lil ole cases
ya i havent done any research for our cases. i figure they would be a tossed item...i am sure there is a good combo for 2 cases behind our 4l60e...if i was building an s-10 i would sure know what it was
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Warnoffroad wrote:

I'll take first dibbs on your 44's! :wink:
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

44's are over rated anyways... :P
get some 60's if you dont want to break nothin
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

a2b wrote:44's are over rated anyways... :P
get some 60's if you dont want to break nothin
]
very true
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

There's alwasy a link that is the weakest somewhere.
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

The 231 transfer case is not junk, On the contrary once a slip yoke eliminator is installed it's a pretty tough case. I have had very few problems with mine. Check out this article from Novak Conversions.

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm
[size=75]2002 Crewcab - Best Mod XM Radio, 2" Body Lift, 30 X 9.5 BFG Long Trail, Factory Locker, T-Bar Crank , Rear Shackles. ORI PreRunner Bar, Hella 500 Lights.
1990 Jeep Wrangler, ARB lockers front/Rear, Winches Front/rear,4" suspension Lift, 2" body lift, 35" BFG Mud TA's, Geared 4:56.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Wonder if that'll work with our 233's. And if it does, it may hit the rear tbar hanger. At least it might with mine with the rearward relocation with my tbar relocators. :roll:
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

quickbiker wrote:Wonder if that'll work with our 233's. And if it does, it may hit the rear tbar hanger. At least it might with mine with the rearward relocation with my tbar relocators. :roll:
I dont know, I thought we had 231's like in the earlier S-10's. I can go to bed having learned something tonight. :D I dont know if anyone is making parts for it yet or not. How long has it been out? I wonder if the only difference is the electric shift?
Crew02
Crew
Crew

Post by Crew02 »

Ok, after looking around a bit, it appears that the last 3 in the 233 means that it has electric shift. On the Dakota CC site, there is a guy who says that the 231 and the 233 are the same internally. I don't believe it. If you look New Venture's web site the torque values and the Max GVW are lower for the 233. :(
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

if you want to find out, just go to pirate and ask..or it might be in their faq
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I've never heard of a spool in either the front or the rear axles for anything that gets much street time. :?: :?: Even a locker up front. Why not get a selectable locker?
-Jim
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

NTXCrew wrote:I've never heard of a spool in either the front or the rear axles for anything that gets much street time. :?: :?: Even a locker up front. Why not get a selectable locker?
ya i was quite surprised by the spool up front...whats the idea? and what rear locker are you going to run? just curious...
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

He must have lockout's. That's the only way it be roadable on pavement. Is dat what ya got BAS?
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

I thought about either a Detiot locker or a e-z locker but there are so many to choose from I need to some more research before i decide.

A spool can be used up front when in mud (swamp) and if on a trail just have to unlock 1 hub, and yes my Dana 44 has lockout hubs, so when slinging mud I can get 100% lock up in the front
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

BAS just weld your front end locked, and then just lock your hubs as u want the wheel to spin.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:I thought about either a Detiot locker or a e-z locker but there are so many to choose from I need to some more research before i decide.

A spool can be used up front when in mud (swamp) and if on a trail just have to unlock 1 hub, and yes my Dana 44 has lockout hubs, so when slinging mud I can get 100% lock up in the front
Detroits rule. They are great on the pavement also. I do 2 wheel spinouts now and can smoke just about anthing off the start. :evil:
Bad_Ass_S10
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Bad_Ass_S10 »

warn, why mess with welding the front up , thats what a spool is for plus you dont have to worry about the weld breaking or over heating the bearings and destroying them when welding the spider gears together
Warnoffroad
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Warnoffroad »

quickbiker wrote:
Bad_Ass_S10 wrote:I thought about either a Detiot locker or a e-z locker but there are so many to choose from I need to some more research before i decide.

Detroits rule. They are great on the pavement also. I do 2 wheel spinouts now and can smoke just about anthing off the start. :evil:
I like that new e-tracks, but I heard most detroits are scary. When you shift gears your diff makes like a slam noise. (heard that from chuck, at chucks trucks)
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Warnoffroad wrote:...I heard most detroits are scary. When you shift gears your diff makes like a slam noise. (heard that from chuck, at chucks trucks)
Sure that He wasn't referring to the Lockright? Mine made horrible clank/slamming - motion/noises at times.

Most of the Detroits I have had, have been tolerable. Just a little clicking as they ratchet on a pavement turn. Once you're used to it , you don't even notice it any more.

If it makes a slam noise or has lots of slack in the ring and pinion, then it was improperly installed.
Last edited by HenryJ on Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

HenryJ wrote:
Warnoffroad wrote:...I heard most detroits are scary. When you shift gears your diff makes like a slam noise. (heard that from chuck, at chucks trucks)
Sure that He wasn't refering to the Lockright? Mine made horrible clank/slamming - motion/noises at times.

Most of the Detroits I have had, have been tolerable. Just a little clicking as they ratchet on a pavement turn. Once you're used to it , you don't even notice it any more.

If it makes a slam noise or has lots of slack in the ring and pinion, then it was improperly installed.
Yes, true. Mine is so quite, nothing like what I've heard from others. I get absolutely no noise or racheting sounds. Actually it's more quiet than when I was stock, I get no more of the slow speed clunking I used to get. But then I did it myself so, I was able to make sure it was done right the first time! I got it to .005" backlash with perfect gear pattern check. I was happy! :D