Zr2 Stance on Zr5

Fitting oversize tires, raising and lowering, suspension modifications...

Moderator: F9K9

00Vette

Zr2 Stance on Zr5

Post by 00Vette »

i was wondering does anyone know what i need to do to get my 03 Zr5 to have the zr2 look do i have to use a lift kit or does the zr2 just have bigger tires or does it have a lift from the factory
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Ok -- since I'm not the newbie anymore, I'll take this one :-)

The ZR2 was a specially built S-10/Sonoma with approx 3 inces more suspension height -- this is due to a completely different front frame and completely different front suspension components that are unique to the ZR2 trucks.

Quick answers to thenormal questions:

Can you swap out your front end components for those from a ZR2: - No.
Can you swap your body onto a ZR2 Frame -- possibly , but it's so much work, just buy a ZR2.
Why does the ZR2 look wider -- because it is, the front track is over 2 inches wider, and the rear end is wider as well. The lifted suspension allowed for 31 inch tires stock.

The CrewCab was never offered in Zr2 Trim, probably because the Crew is built on a modified 4 door 4x4 Blazer platform which is a little different. There were no Zr2 4 door blazers either, just 2 door.

Now to make yours have the ZR2's stance:

Eaisest ways are as follows:
Performane Accessories 2 inch Bodylift + adjust the front torsionbars up a little, and add alonger rear leafspring shackle, or an add-a-leaf, or a new spring pack all together that's designed for a little lift. you'll end up about 3 inches taller at the roofline, and you can fit 31 x 10.50 x 15 tires on the stock rims. Add a set of 1.5 inch spacers for the rear wheels, and the truck will have a nice aggressive stance. Lots of us have gone this route.

A few have gone with the Trailmaster 4 inch suspension lift -- check out Quickbiker's ride and website for info on that. Paul's Page

And at least one of us has dropped enough cash to build this:

That's Warn's SFA beast on 40" tires.

Hope it helps.

BTW I dont even drive a Crewcab--I have a Blazer, but these guys are just too nice to not hang out with :-)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

the zr2 comes from the factory with a wider stance and it is a few inches higher than the standard 4x4. Most will agree that it is ALOT cheaper to put a bodylift and throw 31" tires on to get it to look like a zr2 crew. Also people would agree that a crew cab with 31"s on is better off-road than a zr2 because of its weight. The zr2 suspension and drivetrain (axles) is different than the 4x4. Purchasing a body lift for $200, installing yourself, a torsion bar crank and shackles or add-a-leafs for another $100 and 31" tires will get you at the same height as a zr2. I have just a body lift and 31" BFG with 1.5" rear wheel spacers and this is what it looks like. I hope that helped.
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

adrenalnjunky wrote:
BTW I dont even drive a Crewcab--I have a Blazer, but these guys are just too nice to not hang out with :-)

:roll: aaahhhh, we are just a big ole family here :roll: :wink:

What Makes a ZR2 Different From a Regular S-10 ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are wondering what makes a regular S-10 a RPO ZR2, the following is the list of the factory modifications:

RPO ZR2 only full ladder-type frame with modified suspension mounting points which provide:

100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)

Three-inch suspension height increase

Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio

Larger wheel and axle bearings

31 x 10.5R-15 LT/C black wall off-road tires (BFG A/Ts on pickups and BFG Long Trails on BlaZeR2)

46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks

Rear axle track bar (pickups) / rear sway bar (BlaZeR2)

Wheel flares (black on S-10 pickups and BlaZeR2 / body-color on Sonoma pickups)

33mm (early model) / 28mm (late model) front anti-sway bar

Skid plates
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
| ##Budweiser ###### | ||''|"\,__.
|_...__...________ ====| |__|__|...]
"(@)'(@)""""**|(@)(@)******(@)I[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

oh ya...and i see this is your first post. welcome to the site. check out the mod sections of the site to familiarize yourself with certain modifications that we have all done....if you have anymore questions..just ask and before long we will make fun of you too :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:oh ya...and i see this is your first post. welcome to the site. check out the mod sections of the site to familiarize yourself with certain modifications that we have all done....if you have anymore questions..just ask and before long we will make fun of you too :lol:
That's the point when you really know you're part of the group. :D
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote:oh ya...and i see this is your first post. welcome to the site. check out the mod sections of the site to familiarize yourself with certain modifications that we have all done....if you have anymore questions..just ask and before long we will make fun of you too :lol:
yes mark knows what i am talking about. he put pink rims on his truck once and thought it was cool. then we made fun of him and he realised that it wasnt cool at all. so he changed them to black :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
yes mark knows what i am talking about. he put pink rims on his truck once and thought it was cool. then we made fun of him and he realised that it wasnt cool at all. so he changed them to black :lol:
And then Hobie thought "Oh...my low fuel light's only been on for 3 days...I can make it across LA to a movie with a full load of people. Why did my truck just stop running on the freeway?" :lol:
[size=75]Mark
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

"And then this one time...at Off-road camp...."
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote: That's the point when you really know you're part of the group. :D
And then Hobie thought "Oh...my low fuel light's only been on for 3 days...I can make it across LA to a movie with a full load of people. Why did my truck just stop running on the freeway?" :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thanks for the laugh. i am at work and i needed that :lol: :lol: :lol:
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

a2b wrote:
AZS10Crew wrote:
a2b wrote: yes mark knows what i am talking about. he put pink rims on his truck once and thought it was cool. then we made fun of him and he realised that it wasnt cool at all. so he changed them to black :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
thanks for the laugh. i am at work and i needed that :lol: :lol: :lol:
Glad I can be of assistance. :mrgreen:
[size=75]Mark
00Vette

Post by 00Vette »

thanks everone for the help and the warm welcome glad i was not made fun of to bad yet :D thats probaly later on. yeah i did not know that the zr2 was that different thanks agian everone for the help
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

00Vette wrote:thanks everone for the help and the warm welcome glad i was not made fun of to bad yet :D thats probaly later on. yeah i did not know that the zr2 was that different thanks agian everone for the help
We'll wait until you have at least 10 posts. :mrgreen:

By the way...feel free to post pics of that Vette you have (based on your username, I'll assume you have a Vette). We're not all strictly truck guys here. 8)
[size=75]Mark
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

In a hurry for a ribbing I guess? :D
[size=75]Mark
00Vette

Post by 00Vette »

yeah if i keep that up :lol: to many beers i guess and yeah i will post pics of my vette on here soon and my zr5 of course
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Bowling Green , Kentucky--I guess you like your Vette as Factory Fresh as they can get huh :-)

Maybe you can get me some spy shots of the C6, since everythingI find on the web looks like a camo'ed C5

If Production starts in at least 6 months -- Chevy has doone great work keeping this one under wraps.
"The Corvette Plant will be suspending Corvette Assembly Plant tours beginning December 1, 2003 and resuming them on April 22, 2004 (just in time for the C5 Birthday Bash). The reason for suspending them is that they will be building two generations of Corvettes (5th and 6th generations) at the same time and there isn't room for visitors to safely tour the assembly line during this time."
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
00Vette

Post by 00Vette »

yeah i like them fresh plus i work there i have seen the c6 wish i chould tell u about it but if they find out i would problay get into little bit of trouble
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Arrrgh

Live dangerously :-)

On top of all those vettes you get to watch/build the Cadillac XLR too -- talk about a job I'd like to have.

how drastic of a difference is the C6 from the C5 in looks?

I already hear that the C6 platform that the XLR is built on is very nice.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

yes spill the beans :D
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\
NTXCrew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by NTXCrew »

I say we get a pot going to pay vette00 when he loses his job :lol: ........but that sounds like a good hazing to me for a newbie.... :D
2003 S-10 Crew Cab - Indigo Blue Metallic
Flowmaster 40 w/ turndown, Chopped Airbox, APC clear corners, Trenz billet bowtie, Shaved badges, Sylvania Silverstars, Xenon fogs
-Jim
00Vette

Post by 00Vette »

yeah i think the c6 will share somethings with the xlr. all i will say is i like the c5 better seeing that i have one :D that xlr is a nice car but it should be for 76,000
Mr.ZR5
Regular
Regular

Post by Mr.ZR5 »

you can also easily obtain the wider stance by buying the zr2 wheels which have about a 2 inch off-set difference in the depth of each wheel giving you your 4 inch wider stance
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The rims are identical. It's the wider rear axle and longer a-arms in front.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

Mr.ZR5 wrote:you can also easily obtain the wider stance by buying the zr2 wheels which have about a 2 inch off-set difference in the depth of each wheel giving you your 4 inch wider stance

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!:

some of the zr2's actually came with N90's which is what non-zr5 crews come with. the other rim is the PA3...same wheel size. all 4x4 s-10's and blazers come with one of these rims. (except for the zr5)

they are all 15x7 with 6" BS
[size=75] -HOBIE

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||__\