Tranny Issues

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jeff
Crew
Crew

Tranny Issues

Post by Jeff »

Folks,

My 02 CC has 30,000 on it now, and I am noticing that the tranny is not engaging like it is supposed to from a dead stop, it is like there is a lagg(step on gas, revs up, then kicks in) I changed the fluid and filter at 6K as recommended, checked the fluid the other day, although it was not brown, it had a slight burnt smell to it. I drained the fluid in the pan (thank god for the drain plug I welded in) added 4 new quarts to fill to the dipstick mark again, and will replace filter and another 4 quarts this week. Any one else have suggestions, or seen this problem with theirs? I am in no way hard on my CC, it only sees minor offroad use (Deer Hunting), and no major towing. :?:
kgkoon
Regular
Regular

Post by kgkoon »

Well, my 03 CC only has 2900 miles on it, and this has happened twice to me. Took it about 30 seconds to engage properly both times. I will definitely be taking it in to the dealer now.
2003 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Definately take it to your dealer. Seems like I remember seeing a TSB refering to a valve body replacement, or plate and gasket upgrade for those having problems..

A flush and exchange would be a very good idea if your fluid smells even a little burnt. Changing only the fluid in the pan only adds five quarts of clean to a eleven quart system.

So you're only changing less than half the capacity.

Remember that towing and offroading are only a part of severe duty service.

Stop and go city driving builds lots of heat in the transmission also.

An aux. cooler is a really good idea no matter what driving you do, and especially important for severe duty.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, never had a problem here, and I do some serious offroading when I get the chance here and there! I've changed my fluid and filter once at about 30 k miles, and I got about 43k on it now.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Jim

Re: Tranny Issues

Post by Jim »

Jeff wrote:Folks,

My 02 CC has 30,000 on it now, and I am noticing that the tranny is not engaging like it is supposed to from a dead stop, it is like there is a lagg(step on gas, revs up, then kicks in) I changed the fluid and filter at 6K as recommended,:?:

I have not seen a recommended trans service at 6K my service book says 50K for reg driving & 15K for severe conditions. Was the dealer the one that recommended the service at 6,000?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, the dealer wants those service dollars coming in! Same with all the bull on the "special" oil. I even change my engine oil every 7500 miles, whether it needs it or not, and with blue light special 80cent/qt. I just think it's all a bunch of hoopla. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

HenryJ wrote:...An aux. cooler is a really good idea no matter what driving you do, and especially important for severe duty.
For those of you without one , PLEASE install a transmission cooler.

This is all coming back up as I am dealing with one of the fleet vehicles. It is a '93 fullsize 2wd with a 4.3L and 4L60E. It has 132,000 mi. and definitely sees severe duty. Stop and go , offroad, only when it is hot and dirty. The transmission was last serviced (flush/filter) May of last year at 121,000 mi.
It came in with fluid that resembled black motor oil. One of the worst that I have seen.
The transmission has a hesitation before engaging when you move from park to drive, and the first to second gear shift is pretty hard. I am sure this transmission is on it's last leg, but I have done what I can to make it go the season.
I changed the filter after running some Seafoam transtune to break loose the varnish. The pan was black as the fluid , but no metallics in there, which is good. Filled it back up and made the exchange. It took 22 quarts in the 11 quart system to clean up the fluid to a reasonable level.
I added a transmission cooler, new shift seal, rear seal and replaced the cooked VSS.
Then decided to lower the engine temperature a little. I installed a 180* stat. I have to do what I can to reduce the transmissions operating temperatures.
Hopefully it will go a while now. The dealer wants $1600 for a transmission , and a rebuild would be nearly that as well considering the current condition. The truck doesn't really warrant that though.

The 4L60E seems to run significantly hotter than most other transmissions that I have dealt with, with the exception of the all Chrysler transmissions that do not circulate fluid through the cooler while in park.

Do everything you can to prolong the life of your transmission. A cooler and regular services will go a long way to extending the life.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK