I have seen this twice now...rear diff?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I have seen this twice now...rear diff?

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

We are"NOT" suppose to ad friction modifier to the rear diff's? Oh dear, I need to know why.

:woohoo: MY 100th post. I'm an elite now!! :lol: Yes I can be a bit of a goof ball. :crazy:
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
raven2510
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by raven2510 »

b/c of the G80 in the rear. it uses clutches to work and they mess with the normal operation
1999 Chevy S10 ZR2
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

raven2510 wrote:b/c of the G80 in the rear. it uses clutches to work and they mess with the normal operation
Grrrrr. if mine is a G80 which it probably is, (it does have clutches in it) I will have to say the mechanics around here are FRIGGING idiots. Which also means it will be the 5th time I will have to pull the cover off because of some FRIGGING idiot mechanic.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Wait!! I have to ask this...Did GM ever recommend adding friction modifiers to the G80 differential?
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

YellowCrewCabber wrote:Wait!! I have to ask this...Did GM ever recommend adding friction modifiers to the G80 differential?
No

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

OH DEAR, OH DEAR, OH DEAR!! G80 is listed in the glove box. This would explain why it's not working like it should. :twisted: I'd really like to put that repair shop out of business. There's more to this story. OMG those idiots.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

It is best to be an informed consumer. Better yet is , if you want the job done right do it yourself.
The support system for doing this is here. The combined experience of the owners here far exceeds any training a service tech might receive on this vehicle.
We are all here to walk you through it if you feel the need.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Thanks HenryJ. I totally agree with the knowledge that has accrued here. At the time I had an extended warranty which turned out to be crap. (after market and please spare me the grief) :) and have never been into a rear diff. other than removing axles to change seals. Anyway I thought it would be best to let the "experts" do it. Turns out to be contaminated with water, clutches are basically not even there. The shop supervisor then tells me about having to ad the friction modifier and that the new clutches would have to be "pre-loaded". From that moment a large knot of doubt fell into my stomach. BTW this is an SAE certified shop. There is more and it gets better. Would you like to hear it??
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

ASE certification around here is kind of an inside joke. It means I paid my $10 and got the patch :lol:

I too am ASE certifiable ;)

I hope you relocated the vent tube to prevent more water. :shock: That was likely the demise of the clutches more so than a friction modifier.
Friction modifiers are used on limited slip differentials. The Eaton Gov-loc we have is a different beast. I am not sure you could blame damage to the differential on the modifier , if water was present.

Sorry for your woes. Hope things work out.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

No not blaming the modifier. Definately the water. Haven't relocated the hose, yet.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Do that now. The information has been around for quite a while. The link for TSB information may still be here as well.

- ThunderII KE7CSK