Just did all four ball joints today

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Jim

Just did all four ball joints today

Post by Jim »

Took way longer than expected. I detail stuff as I go. First side took 4 hours :oops: the second side took 3 hours.
I put new urethane snubbers in and new Hawk front pads on while apart.
Worst part drilling out all those rivets.
Best part bolting the new joints in after all that drilling.
I didn't expect it to drive any different but over bumps it's much tighter.
What I didn't get done today was the idler arm, new ZQ8 steering box and spark plugs. I hope I have time soon to finish the job.
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Hope your Hawk pads work out better than mine. Let us know how they work for you.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Wish you had seen Brule's current review of the Hawk pads before you started. Hope you have better luck than he is.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

My short trip with several gradual stops seems fine. firmer pedal and less effort than the original pads. Time will tell. Mine arn't ceramic
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Any thoughts about going to braided stainless brake lines on your truck Jim?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:Any thoughts about going to braided stainless brake lines on your truck Jim?
Hasn't entered my mind, it always stopped satisfactory to me.
Best Regards, Jim
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Mine did too. Just curious. Watch that first cold stop in the morning. That kind of caught me by surprise. Still takes some getting used to. Maybe your pads will be better.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jim

Post by Jim »

HenryJ wrote:Mine did too. Just curious. Watch that first cold stop in the morning. That kind of caught me by surprise. Still takes some getting used to. Maybe your pads will be better.
Love the pads same as stock cold, better than stock warm.
LTS Hawk pads
http://www.buybrakes.com/hawk/lts.html
Best Regards, Jim
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Maybe Hawk ceramic pads aren't any good? :?:

I've heard nothing but good about Hawk brake pads. :?

Steve
jayhawkclint
Regular
Regular

Post by jayhawkclint »

Recently had to do ball joints also. The first one I drilled out. Took me a long time and burned up my bits. The rest of them I ground off the heads with an angle grinder, then hit them out with the punch/hammer. Went a lot faster.