STUPID SQEALING NOISE!!!!!*solved

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

STUPID SQEALING NOISE!!!!!*solved

Post by Lil-j »

{b]Edited title-HJ
"SQUEAL is actually the squealer on the rear brakes"[/b]

"I had noise from my left front end, found out it was the bearing, changed it out, no more noise. For about two weeks now I've had a squeal from the front RIGHT side now, and I'm getting pissed about it. I hear it mostly on LEFT hand turns, it gets constant thru the turn and tapers off when I straighten out, especially when I let off the gas. I hear it some times when I'm driving straight, but always on turns. Even the smallest bend in the road to the left will make it sqeal. I did not crack bleeder when I compressed the pistons to put caliper back on, but that was the left side, my noise is from the right.....I dunno. Any thoughts??? [/code]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Another bearing? Caliper slide pins? Worth a look.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

HenryJ wrote:Another bearing? Caliper slide pins? Worth a look.
I'm changing out the bearing hopefully before november, but I've got alot of military stuff going on right now so time is precious. the caliper slide pins look ok...but it looks like my wheel might be rubbing on the caliper bracket, but it does'nt look like its new, and all four wheels have the same marks on the back side of the wheels. I'm frustated with this truck, I hate stupid stuff like this is driving me nuts. thanks henry......any body else have ideas?
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

you cant look at the caliper slide pins without removing them
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

T Man wrote:you cant look at the caliper slide pins without removing them
Good call. :thumb:

The caliper slide pins can be frozen or rusted on the inside which causes all sorts of problems. :(

Remove the slide pins and clean them with brake cleaner or replace as needed.
It is also a good idea to clean the bore they slide in with brake cleaner.
Check the rubber boots for cracks or deterioration and replace if they show any signs of damage.
Apply a good high quality high temp synthetic brake caliper grease on the slide pins and reinstall.

Steve
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

I pulled them out 2days ago, and looked at them, they looked ok, no obvious damage or deformities. ...I have after market wheels on there to, could that be a factor? There nothing special, cragar black powder coated, 15x7 with a positive offset. I'm getting ready to go out to the garage and pull off the 2 front wheels and put back on the stock wheels, and see if there is a difference. I dont see why there would be but I dont know what else to do. I know a bunch of other people have wheels similar to what I've got and I not yet heard of wheels causing this, and the squeal is only getting worse
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

killian96ss wrote:
Good call. :thumb:

The caliper slide pins can be frozen or rusted on the inside which causes all sorts of problems. :(

Remove the slide pins and clean them with brake cleaner or replace as needed.
It is also a good idea to clean the bore they slide in with brake cleaner.
Check the rubber boots for cracks or deterioration and replace if they show any signs of damage.
Apply a good high quality high temp synthetic brake caliper grease on the slide pins and reinstall.

Steve
just did a quick visual check, one of the rubber boots is compressed and wont stretch/reach the head of the slide pin like it should. I can figure that it needs replaced...can you buy just the boot? I'm gonna drive my nissan to work for the next few days, I dont have the cash for the bearing till the first of the month so I dont want any more damage till its fixed
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Lil-j wrote:just did a quick visual check, one of the rubber boots is compressed and wont stretch/reach the head of the slide pin like it should. I can figure that it needs replaced...can you buy just the boot?
Rock Auto has them for $4.32 under Wagner part # H18047 which includes 2 boots.

They also carry a parts kit for the front for $14.44 under Raybestos part # H5652A which includes the boots for both sides and the anti rattle clips.

I would buy the kit so that you will have extra parts whenever needed. :wink:

Most auto parts stores should carry the rubber boots, but in some cases it might be necessary to buy the pins also.

Steve
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

New pins+silicone grease=cheep insurance
Lil-j
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Lil-j »

killian96ss wrote:
Lil-j wrote:just did a quick visual check, one of the rubber boots is compressed and wont stretch/reach the head of the slide pin like it should. I can figure that it needs replaced...can you buy just the boot?
Rock Auto has them for $4.32 under Wagner part # H18047 which includes 2 boots.

They also carry a parts kit for the front for $14.44 under Raybestos part # H5652A which includes the boots for both sides and the anti rattle clips.

I would buy the kit so that you will have extra parts whenever needed. :wink:

Most auto parts stores should carry the rubber boots, but in some cases it might be necessary to buy the pins also.

Steve
thanks for the help steve, I'm gonna get the new ones, plus the bearing, plus new brake pads on my rear end. Today is my idiot day, I just figured out that SQEAL is actually the SQEALers on the rear brakes, in particular the right side. After putting the stockers back on the front with no change, I figured I shouIld look at the back wheeels and there it was, mystery solved.....BUT I did notice that the wheels are hitting the caliper (front) on both sides, each of the circle windows has damage on yhe backside