Front drive shaft rolling resistance

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Dennis S

Front drive shaft rolling resistance

Post by Dennis S »

Hey everyone, new member to the site. I received a tip to come over here on this issue.

On a 4X4, CrewCab, how hard should it be to turn the front wheels? Should they free-wheel when spun by hand? When the front is lifted by either the frame or the lower A-Arm, I turned the wheels by hand and the best I could get was about half a revolution of either tire. They spin smoothly, no catching, dragging, jerking.... The boots on both axles look fine, the brakes don't sound like they are dragging, I don't detect any gear, bushing, bearing sounds. The only thing I can hear are the boots rubbing on themselves.

This is the first 4X4 I've had and don't know what is normal, I know that there is a lot of mass turning. I don't expect that the front wheels would free-spin like Dad's old RW drive Toyota Corolla. I just don't know what is normal for my S10-CC.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Sounds normal to me. :wink:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

First, Welcome to the site. Since you hear the boot I would check to see that the shocks are on correctly Our shocks are mounted upside down. If you put them on the rite side up they will rub the boots.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Dennis S

Post by Dennis S »

Thanks killian96ss and BADs Crew for the replies.

Glad to hear that I have a normal condition, just seems a little stiff and if they spun easier it would free up a bit of HP and help with the MPG.

I put the Rancho 5000s on same way the old ones came off... Body to the top and shaft out the bottom. Hope that was right otherwise I have to blame the previous owner. I can't see that the shocks are rubbing the CV boots. I just hear the CV Boot corrugations rubbing on themselves when I spin the axles.
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

Dennis S wrote:Thanks killian96ss and BADs Crew for the replies.

Glad to hear that I have a normal condition, just seems a little stiff and if they spun easier it would free up a bit of HP and help with the MPG.

I put the Rancho 5000s on same way the old ones came off... Body to the top and shaft out the bottom. Hope that was right otherwise I have to blame the previous owner. I can't see that the shocks are rubbing the CV boots. I just hear the CV Boot corrugations rubbing on themselves when I spin the axles.
Thats how I put my ranchos on as well. THe boot rubs the shaft otherwise...you could just run without a boot though
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

My Bilsteins are installed with the body down and the boots up. If they are installed the opposite the boots will rub the shaft boots.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Dennis S

Post by Dennis S »

I have to recant myself. I just went out and looked. Mine are installed the same as BADs Crew; body down with shaft and shock boot on top. Guess my memory is failing and I should have looked the first time. Sorry T Man.
T Man
Crew
Crew

Post by T Man »

I actually just read your post throughly, and thats now how mine are installed. I have body down..shaft up as well.