broken front driveshaft

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

slammed98gmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

broken front driveshaft

Post by slammed98gmc »

has anyone broken a front driveshaft? I was in colorado this weekend and was snowed in.I basically had the only vehicle that could get out of the hotel parking lot so I made quite a few runs to the store.Late in the day i pulled into the store and shut the truck off with everything still in 4lo and went inside like a did 3 or 4 times before earlier in the day.Came back out,started the truck and dropped in drive and the truck basically pivoted around on the left front wheel.I got out to see what was going on and could not find anything.I got it pulled on on a flat surface and messed with the front actuator and found it working ok ,I had someone shift it in and out of 4wd for me while i was listening to the actuator and transfer case seemed to be working.I was unable to get the truck out of the parking lot in 2wd due to the amount of snow and ice,so I had to move it to the back of the parking lot and hitch a ride with someone.When I moved it to the back of the lot I got stuck,I left the truck in 4lo and in drive,both back wheels are barely spinning on the ice an I look under the vehicle and find the part of the cv shaft comming out of the t-case spinning,but the driveshaft is not spinning! My front driveshaft is broken,Im not sure how this happened or why it happened.I was taking it pretty easy on the truck just due to the fact that I was so far from home. I have not pulled it out yet since I just made a 12+ hour drive from colorado to texas,I guess I will pull it out tomorrow and see what the damage is.

On that note,does anyone have a shaft they would like to sell?
I found one on ebay for a zr2,will that fit a crewcab? seems like it would.
[size=75] 2001 sonoma crew cab-6" superlift-2" bl , 33x12.5 grapplers,zr2 rear axle-skidz cutout flares - L31 5.7L

98 sonoma - lt1/th350 -s480 turbo- 9.4@139mph - [url]http://www.slammed98gmc.com[/url] [/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Yea, mine stock one broke. I've had my Tom Woods for sale for a while. Here it is.

I don't use it any more cause of my axle conversion, but is awsome for IFS rigs and it will probably need shortened, cause I had it lengthened a bit when I had the axle conversion done, but had to take it off cause of the angle I had, I needed to get double cardon like I have now. Let me know if ya want it. Just PM me.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
slammed98gmc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by slammed98gmc »

I pulled the front shaft out this morning and found that the cage around the balls was cracked and allowed the balls to fall out.This shaft has no servicable parts from gm.I guess im going to pick one up off of ebay and see what happens.I dont know if it broke due to age and mileage or because it is at a different angle from the lift or because I had to stretch it out some because of the lift.If it doesnt break again then I will be ok,if it does then i dont know what I will do.I found that s-series with a np8 transfer case has a slightly longer driveshaft,but i dont know if it has the same spline count or same configuration as mine with the np1 transfer case.
[size=75] 2001 sonoma crew cab-6" superlift-2" bl , 33x12.5 grapplers,zr2 rear axle-skidz cutout flares - L31 5.7L

98 sonoma - lt1/th350 -s480 turbo- 9.4@139mph - [url]http://www.slammed98gmc.com[/url] [/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

The stock shaft is no good with the angle of the lift. I had the TM 5" lift and the vibration was terrible and it lasted only about 20k miles after I put my TM lift on when I had it.

I just reduced the price of my shaft. I just need to get it out of my garage, the wifey keeps reminding me. I reduced it to $25. It also has on it a custom flange that slips over the stock front output, that alone is worth about $100 without the shaft. It may cost about $50 to get the shaft shorten, so $25 for the shaft, $25 shipping, and $50 for shortening length is about $100 total by the time your done.

If it makes you feel better, I can put it on ebay.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]