Blocked tank vent; evap canister causing overflow at filler?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

12bridn
Regular
Regular

Blocked tank vent; evap canister causing overflow at filler?

Post by 12bridn »

Hey, new guy here.

I have a 2004 ZR5 which, as of two days ago, started taking gas from the pump in sips. The auto shutoff on the pump would activate after 30-50 cents worth of gas was pumped. I figured it was a venting problem, but I decided to search this forum to see if it was a common problem anyway. I found a few threads on overfloewing filler necks and vents, and thought that a blockage at the filler vent was the root of my problem. After removing the fender insert, I was also surprised to find no vent hose at the filler neck. A little more searching and I found the evap canister. It has a hose in and a hose out. I followed the "in" hose to a tee, and figured one of the hoses should be the vent, so I unplugged the hose at the canister. Problem solved. If you lie on your back and slide under the rear of your truck, look to the right and forward of the spare. That is the evap canister.

KTM 950 on/offroad motorcycles have a similar evap system, with a charcoal canister integrated into the vent and vacuum system. If the rider would drop the bike, the canister can flood with fuel, causing the ventilation to be blocked and causing rough running or no running at all. When I removed the hose from the canister on my truck, a small amount of gas dripped out. I suppose the same thing that happens on the KTM happened to the canister on my truck, causing a block in the ventilation, therefore allowing only the filler neck to fill before shutting off the pump.

Maybe the filler overflow problems some guys are having are caused by a similar situation, but there is only a partial blockage? I am going to remove the canister and inspect it, and maybe keep it off and just add a waterproof filter of some sort, or route the vent higher...
[size=75]2004 S10 ZR5 stock w/Leer cap 146K [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Wow, that took a while for a first post :shock:

A good one though.

What have you done to solve the problem? You can just leave that pipe open since it will throw a code when it tests the system.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
12bridn
Regular
Regular

Post by 12bridn »

Haven't investigated too far yet. My main goal was to be able to fill up the tank in less than a half hour. :lol:
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Welcome to the site. Great first post. I have never heard of this problem before. Is this an issue with GM products across the board or is it just the 04 Crew Cab?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

BADs Crew wrote:...Is this an issue with GM products across the board or is it just the 04 Crew Cab?
I am not sure exactly what years are involved. Some of the crewcabs have the smaller filler hose with no attached vent and plastic fuel tank. These seem to be the ones having "issues".

My 2001 has the larger filler hose with a parallel vent hose and steel tank.

Here is some more information:
Fuel Filler Neck Pipe Leak - Best Fix?
GM data wrote:Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Filler Pipe Assembly) #03-06-04-058 - (Oct 2, 2003)
Fuel Spits Back/Out When Filling Tank (Replace Fuel Filler Pipe Assembly)

2003 Chevrolet S-10 Crew Cab Pickups

2003 GMC Sonoma Crew Cab Pickups

Built Prior to July, 2003
Condition

Some customers may comment that when filling the fuel tank, a small amount of fuel may spit back/out.
Correction

Replace the fuel tank filler pipe assembly with P/N 15124302. This new fuel tank filler pipe has an updated check valve as part of assembly which has been released to correct this condition. Refer to the Filler Tube Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #692074).

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
12bridn
Regular
Regular

Post by 12bridn »

Well, it seems it didn't really fix the overflow issue. I have narroed it down to the narrow filler neck. There is a short period of time between when the auto shutoff is tripped and when the pump stops completely. During this time, a small volume of fuel is expelled from the hose. Due to the small filler neck, the same volume of fuel fills a longer length of the neck, causing the overflow. I think the only solution is to somehow fit a larger filler neck.