creaking leaf springs?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

creaking leaf springs?

Post by crew cab sonoma »

i can often hear "creaking" noises from my rear suspension, with the windows down, at low speeds. i have been under the truck, and pushed on the frame, and seems the noise is coming from the pads between the springs.

has anybody else experienced this?
would lubricating these pads help?
any other problems known to cause this noise?
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

I think shocks can squeak :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

shocks arent very old, and IIRC, the noise was there before i replaced them.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

Check Where The Emergency Brake Cable Goes Thru The Black Bracket Right In Front Of Your Driver's Rear Tire. I Had A Squeacking In My Rear End And It Was The Cable Being Pinched In The Bracket And When The Suspension Moved Caused It To Squeak. I Removed The Bracket (1 Bolt) And Opened It Up A Little And The Squeak Went Away.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
jeff024
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by jeff024 »

mine squeek also its comming from the leaf springs
[size=75]2004 S-10 CREW CAB {TRADED IN}
........ 2006 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff024/]PICS OF THE CREW CAB[/url][/size]
rick
Crew
Crew

Post by rick »

Mine squeek also, I was told by a mechanic at a dealership to spray them down with WD40 to stop the squeek. He told me that its common with the s10 especially after a rain storm.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I would use some sort of dry teflon spray or graphite type lubricant that dries up so it doesn't attract dirt. :wink:

Steve
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

i tried WD40, it worked for a couple of days, then the creaking and poping returned.

so a few days ago, i tried some spray grease.
i hammered a pry bar in between the leafs to separate the pads from the leaf they rest on,
so i could coat them thoroughly.
thus far, everything is still silent....

no need to jack the truck up, just drive the pry bar in near the pads, and spray them down good, and just wiggle the pry bar back out...

takes about 5 minutes to lube all 8 pads.
i did both trucks... and they are both silent now when you jounce the rear of the truck...

the ext. cab just had some minor groaning noises, but the CC made some quite loud poping/creaking noises just driving down fairly smooth pavement at low speeds, or even when leaning on the bed or tailgate... it was rather embarrasing at times... people always asking: "whats wrong with your truck?"
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

Sometimes the u-bolts losen up, it pays to tighten them up sometimes. Otherwise nut'n wrong with creaking, sounds kinda kewl. :lol:
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]