The Dealer says tire cupping wear is normaL .....

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

The Dealer says tire cupping wear is normaL .....

Post by IBSonoma »

Hello All,
I was getting a slight thump - thump - thump sound and vibration anytime I turned my steering wheel to turn, change lanes etc. Was getting worse so I brought it in and they said my tires were cupped, nothing mechanical was wrong and that to solve the problem I should rotate the tires every 7500 miles.
The truck is a 2004 with 23,000 road miles so no off roading.

Any Ideas ???

Thanks,
Frank
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

Frank,

That doesn't sound right to me.....I've always heard that cupping is a failed or failing shock problem...Are there other dealers nearby you can take it to for a second opinion? If not go to another tire shop or two, and get some second opinions. Take that info back to the dealer, and ask for some real service.

For reference, I just bought a '04 ZR5 with the stock tires, and ~28,000 miles on it with no abnormal wear.
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

There are several factors to consider. Tread design, driving habits, road conditions, etc.

Tires should be rotated every 4000 to 8000 miles. The alignment should be checked every second or third rotation.
Cupping or feathering can be "normal" wear. It should be even. Both inside and outside.

Rotate the tires and have your alignment checked by a reputable shop. If they find any problems , it can be referred to the dealer for repair. They will pick up the bill for an alignment then.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
top_sgt
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by top_sgt »

in my experiences as a mechanic....some tires do cup when everthing is OK and in specs. uniroyal tigerpaws were notorious for cupping!!!!!!
2004 S10 CC ZR5 4x4 >> traded for a 2006 F150 supercrew!!
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

IBSonoma, are you still running the stock/factory tires and shocks? The stock tires and shocks are worthless. :roll: New aftermarket shocks are noticeably better than the stock ones. I am very happy with my Rancho RSX shocks, but there are many more choices available with the Bilsteins being the most popular. My last set of Goodyear MT/R's lasted almost 50k miles and the wear pattern was perfectly even on all 4 tires when I sold them to a friend. I have my alignment checked once a year and rotate my tires every 4k miles. What air pressure are you running front & rear? I run 38 psi in the front and 35 psi in the rear with good results. It sound like your cupping problem is related to a bad alignment and the worthless stock shocks. :wink:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

My Crew does the same thing. I can tell when to rotate my tires just by the sound of them. My first generation 4x4 was the same way.
Last edited by BADs Crew on Thu May 11, 2006 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The reason the members here are suggesting shocks, which may seem to be a little difficult to accuse is that as the tire travels up and down the alignment changes. Toe and camber are affected. Shocks dampen the amount the wheel travels and reduces the cycling of the suspension after it encounters a change in elevation.
Good shocks are a good investment not only in ride quality and performance, but they also influence the life of other components.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
IBSonoma
Regular
Regular

Post by IBSonoma »

Thanks for the replies everybody.
I am running the stock tires and shocks with I think 35 psi front and rear. I picked the truck up late so there were no techs at the dealer, the cashier had a puzzled look when I asked her about cupping .... (kidding)
Anyhow the problem is gone, so I guess I'll have to be a little better about rotating and alignment.

Thanks again,
Frank