I have a BAD problem... When turning in parking stall etc .

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

I have a BAD problem... When turning in parking stall etc .

Post by Blaze One »

I have a major front end/overall shaking when i turn . Slow turns mostly . Doesn't matter if I am in Neutral or drive either . Both directions , and I get a shake/vibration when i am coming to a stop it always happens at 10kms per hour on the speedo . I am trying to sell this thing . and this is not helping . It seems to vibrate abit upon acceleration too . but it is not continuous like when i turn into a parking stall .
What could it be . ?
[size=75]1995 Chevy Blazer 2dr 4x4 Limited Edition [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

How's the tires and alignment? Are you running wide tires that rub the frame when you turn? Any belt separations , those raised or dimpled sections usually only visible in the sidewall, can cause some low speed driveability issues. A tire that is out of round can do the same.
Might be wheel bearings , or balljoints too?

Since you're trying to sell it I'm sure you won't be interested in taking it to the alignment shop to have it checked. That makes it pretty difficult to help from here.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Well , the tires are new , correct oem size The alligment was recently done when i had a new idler arm and pitman arm installed . At that time I had the same problem and it was drifting on the highway's from left to right . So the garage said that there was nearly 1/16" of play in the arms . So they did not say anything about ball joints then( 4mos ago ) The drifting on the highway stopped , so did the shaking but it has came and gone on 2 occasions since . The garage say's that the work they did is in top shape and the shaking is not being caused by anything they did . But still no mention of worn bj's . So I just don't know if it is the bj's or not . Since I have also had it a the dealership for the same problem when I first purchased it . They said there is nothing wrong and gave it back . The dealership service dept . even took it for 4 days to drive and diagnos the problem and still came back with nothing .
I am on my way out to see if I can find something my self right now . This is driving me crazy ! . If the truck did not always have a problem I wouldn't be selling it . But seriously , something goes wrong every 3months .
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Could it be the anti lock brake system?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Might be worth checking the wheel bearings.

Front wheel bearing diagnosis

Ball joint diagnosis

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Well , i think my ball joints are bad . But.. I also read that Vibration or shaking at slow speeds puts the transmission under more load than straight line movement . And that shaking is a sign of a failing transmission . I sure hope it is my bj's since I have already replaced one transmission on this truck .
Here is a pic of my driverside balljoint ( atleast I think that is what it is )
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

Maybe check the front CV joints to see if the boots came off.

Also...this may sound silly, but maybe it's stuck in 4 wheel drive?:shrug:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

that's a good idea , it may be the antilock brakes . since i am using pads that create excessive dust .
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

well noting would surprise me . I have had the shaking return once , just after I disingaged the 4wd . I would think that it is "binding" if the 4wd didn't turn off . I have to find some sand or something to test it out .
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

So does anyone have any opinions about the pic of my ball joints ? good , bad , ?
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Blaze One wrote:So does anyone have any opinions about the pic of my ball joints ? good , bad , ?
From that angle all you can really see is the lower a-arm above the ball joint and the spindle. Not that anything can be gained from a photo. There is no real good visual indicator.
Sorry you are going to have to do things the hard way and get dirty :mg:

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

I guess so , thanks for the help . I let you know how it turns out .
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

If you are referring to the foremost assembly in your picture - the stacked set of urethane bushings and spacers that is standing upright - that's not a balljoint - that's the link that connects your swaybar to the lower A-arm - and that looks to be in normal shape.

The castle nut in the bottom right corner is what holds your balljoint into the lower spindle - as best as I can tell fromt he pic- the angle is kinda funny - and anyway- like HJ said - you woun't be able to see a worn balljoint in a picture, at least not one that will still let you drive the vehicle.

To test the 4wd - when youtake it to a shop - take it to a shop that has a lift that doesn't lift by the tires, but by the frame. Ask them to lift the truck off the ground an little and let you or one of their guys stay in the vehicle, and see if all 4 wheels turn when the truck is in drive.
(you could try this with jackstands, but it's not super safe - your choice)
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

ok thanks , I don't even know what a balljoint is lol . oh well that is why i leave it to the pros' thanks again .
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

im thinking its stuck in four wheel drive because thats exactly what your truck will do when turning slow in 4 wheel drive on pavement.

My truck had this problem awhile back and i never even pushed the button. It soped doing it though and i never check into the problem. find out if its in 4 wheel for sure
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]
Blaze One
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Blaze One »

Well it has stopped doing it now , i did nothing but it stopped , it has done this a few times .When i get some extra cash i will get it looked at by a mechanic .
bubaloo1983
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bubaloo1983 »

get it one a lift the next time it must be in four wheel. I drove around for a day once with that untill i noticed the light on 4 hi was on and i didnt even push it. did it a few times and went away. keep us posted
[size=75]2003 ZR5 GMC Sonoma, SFA dana30, 35 inch tires, 4.10 gears, Cut out flares. Chrome Denali grill, custom made skid plates, shackles and badging

www.customskidplates.com[/size]