Leaking oil lines

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Leaking oil lines

Post by HenryJ »

Has everyone with a 2001 had both sets of oil lines replaced?

Any of the 2002-2003's have any oil line problems?

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Randy

No problems.

Post by Randy »

2002, No oil line problems. "Knock on wood" :roll:
Jim

Post by Jim »

I have had no problems with oil lines yet on my 2002 @ 8,000. It seems problems start when Synthetic oil is used instead of Dino oil. I do want to go with Mobil 1 when I hit 10,000 - I know it's broken in then & still warranty will cover any leaks.
a2b
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by a2b »

are you kiddin? mine leaked right from the start, it made a big mess all over my skid plate. i had the dealer replace the lines and fix it. its been fine since :) :?
Steven
Crew
Crew

Oil Leaks

Post by Steven »

I've got a 2001 and have not had a single oil leak. I've used synthetics since the first oil change and not a one!.

Crossing my fingers!

Steven
[size=75]Throttle Body Riser, CFM-Tech High Flow Throttle Blade, K&N Gen 2, JetChip Stage 2, IAT Relocated, Power Pulleys, Mod'ed MSF Sensor, Flowmaster 50, HD Radiator, MSD6AL Ignition w/MSD Wires, E-Fan, Aux. E-Fan, HD Trans Cooler, 180 Jet Power Stat, B&M Electronic Shift Improver, 2" Body lift[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

crimp

Post by HenryJ »

As I understand it , the problem with the leaking lines was:

The tool they used was set at too high a pressure and over crimped the hose. When enough of the problems arose they had the lines supplied by a different company which uses a different crimp.

The old lines had a double crimp and the new style have a triple, or visa-versa, I forget. :?

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Leaky leaky...

Post by quickbiker »

I had a leak when mine was still stock yet. I took it to the dealer and it seamed like they did nothing. They are idiots, dealers thrive on making money, it don't matter what the make of vehicles. There are better ones than others, but basically they will get away with what they can when it comes to warranty work. They make no money on it. Mine was leaking from the oil filter adapter where the lines bolt up to the adapter in the front.

I just basically took it off and put permatex on the gaskets which are just washers with rubber inside. It never leaked since.

So far though, mine has been leak tite. Ablsolutely nothing leaking.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
Lee
Regular
Regular

Leaking oil lines

Post by Lee »

I have a 2001 and have not had any problems with leaking oil lines, but, I bought it as a lease return when it was already a year old, so it may have happened before I got it. I use Quaker State 4x4 10w-30 synthetic oil, and haven't had any problems.
24digger
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Leaking oil lines

Post by 24digger »

No leaks on my 2002 crew yet, but my 95 ZR2 has had them replaced once and I'm going to have to do it again pretty soon. Mine seem to be leaking through the hose not the ends though.
[size=75]2002 Yellow Crewcab, Gaylord X2000 Lid, Ventvisors, Painted to match bugshield, Stepshields, K&N filter,rear swaybar, Bed X-tender,Window Tint, 1.25" wheel spacers,overhead console with trip computer, steering wheel with radio controls, bilsteins, optima redtop, taylor wires. flowmaster 40 muffler, energy suspension swaybar bushings[/size]
Justin
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Justin »

Are we talking about leaking lines to the oil filter?...I have a 2001 and they leak a little...when i installed the body lift people said not to worry about it but i dont like it....
[size=75]05 Sierra LLY "Silver Bull"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Yup, those and the ones from the filter to the cooler too. They will replace them under warranty, it is a known problem.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Jeff
Crew
Crew

Post by Jeff »

2002. 20,000 miles, changed to Mobile 1 an hour after pulling off of the dealers lot, no leaks, no problems, no complaints, no concerns. Just a good solid hard working truck. :D
Jim

Post by Jim »

2002 & up must have an updated version no them mine don't leak either :D
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

bumping an old arse thread ----

The other day I had to take my shield off to flush my radiator/heatercore and install the Prestone QuickFlush system

Noticed oil all over the front driveline and inside of the shield - sure enough my lines coming down to the aoil filter are coated in a layer of sludge.

Problem is, my truck is a 2000 model, - and is out of warranty now - anyone know how I should go about talking to my dealer?

I have the BL on, too, so I'm non stock. Was there a TSB on this or something?
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:... my lines coming down to the aoil filter are coated in a layer of sludge.

Problem is, my truck is a 2000 model, - and is out of warranty now - anyone know how I should go about talking to my dealer?

I have the BL on, too, so I'm non stock. Was there a TSB on this or something?
It's your baby...

The lines made it long enough to be out of warranty, and this is not a safety defect, so a recall is not likely to happen.
I have not heard of any "good faith" repairs being done to these.

Aftermarket lines are available through NAPA , and I'm sure others as well. Or you can get them through GM. Prices are fairly reasonable as I recall.

You can complain, but I doubt this is a battle worth fighting. Be glad yours lasted as long as they did, bite the bullet and replace them yourself. JMO

- ThunderII KE7CSK
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by gocntry »

I Have A 2003 With No Problems Yet, But Last Month I Had To Replace The Oil Cooler Lines On My 1997 Astro W/ The 4.3 In It, It Has 62,000 Miles On It. So I Assume This Is A 4.3 V6 Prob And Not Just Associated With The CrewCabs??
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
quickbiker
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by quickbiker »

I've had problems a few years ago. I just replace with stock seals, put a bit of permatex on it, and no problems. The lines are good though.
[size=75][url=http://outsideventure.com/s10crew/]01 S10 Crewcab - SAS'd[/url][/size]
realtorjay

Line Problems

Post by realtorjay »

I have a 01 bought it about 6 months ago and had to replace both sets of lines 3 months ago. Had roughly 39K miles on it when they leaked like crazy and decided to throw up 5 qts of synthetic all over the garage floor :cry:

Hope this makes you feel better
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

My 01 has had the oil lines from the engine block to the oil filter adapter replaced under warranty. I have also had the oil line O-rings @ the oil filter adapter replaced 3 times under warranty. No leaks anymore! :D I still can't believe it took the dealer 4 times to finally fix this leak. :shock: I am also using Mobil 1's new 15k mile synthetic formula with no leak problems. :)

Steve
coffeedrnkr
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by coffeedrnkr »

I just replaced the line from the block to the filter about a month ago. I went to the stealership and payed about 70 bucks for a new line but it was worth it, no more leaks at all. Mine was leaking through the crimp from the soft lines to hard lines. I have about 70k miles
[size=75][url=http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j162/coffeedrnkr15/]The Crazyblaze[/url]
d44/d60 5.13's, atlas 3.8
[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Came across a set of replacement lines- RockAuto lines The price seems reasonable.
Last edited by HenryJ on Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

While replacing the dex with green & flushing the heater core I too noticed the oil lines are leaking.

Another fix to perform....

I wish I had a garage....the ground is a little cold right now.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

kwalsh wrote:....the ground is a little cold right now.
A blue tarp and good set of insulated coveralls are a good investment.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

kwalsh wrote:While replacing the dex with green & flushing the heater core I too noticed the oil lines are leaking.

Another fix to perform....
The leak might only be caused by bad O-rings unless it's obviously leaking at the crimp where the metal line meets the rubber hose. If it's just the O-rings, take one of the old ones and match it up with a new one from your local hardware store. If the lines need to be replaced, the link HJ provided has the best price I have seen lately. :D If you end up ordering some new lines make sure you are getting the right ones. We have cooling lines that run from the filter housing to the radiator and lines that run from the filter housing to the adapter on the engine block. :wink:

Steve
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

Be careful of the type of o-rings you use. Some of the ones from a hardware store may not be made to use with petroleum products.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Actually the lines that I have replaced use a steel and rubber gasket much like the oil drain plug.
I suggest buying them from GM.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
GeorgesBlazah
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by GeorgesBlazah »

mine have seeped ever since i got the damn truck. never leaves puddles, but i the lines are soaked. as far as i know these are original. whenever it gets worse or warmer im gonna take em off and bring the lines to a hydrolic line making place, i know tehres a tractor supply near me that deos it, and im gonna have them fix me up something nice.
[size=75]98 blazah w/ super stuff[/size]
Cajun
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Cajun »

My 03 with 32,000 miles is seeping oil and is scheduled for service to replace all the hoses this Thursday.
Walt
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by Walt »

Hmmm....I guess I should keep a closer watch when I change my oil. I've never noticed oil splattered anywhere, so that's a good thing. I also checked with the previous owner and he never had to get the replaced. So it looks like my 01 still has the originals. :)
--Walt
2001 S-10 CrewCab - Retired...