Differential gearing identification?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Differential gearing identification?

Post by adrenalnjunky »

Moved this to stock, since it fits that category best IMO-HJ

Does anyone know how to tell what gearing is in a stock front differential? Is there any indication on it at all?

The reason is that I have a front diff on it's way to me from an ebay seller. The diff came out of a 98 model that had a fire in the interior so the truck was totalled, and the glovebox RPO code list was destroyed in the fire. The truck was stripped of all driveline and then the shell discarded. That way I have no VIN # to go by either.

If the Diff has 3.73's I'm going to swap the rear gears on my truck, and swap that diff into my truck, but if it's a 3.42, I'm going to have it built up with 4.10's first, and then let it sit around while I save back up to have the rear end done.

I am only paying $60 for the front diff, including shipping costs, so it's not that big a deal if I end up doing nothing with it at all.
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
AZS10Crew
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by AZS10Crew »

There's some way to count the teeth or something like that, but I can't remember what that was. Are there maube casting numbers or something like that? :?:
[size=75]Mark
[b][i][color=red]2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab[/color][/i][/b]
[b][color=blue]"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."[/color][/b][/size]
adrenalnjunky
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by adrenalnjunky »

I'm waiting for UPS to drop it off next week. I'll get a better look at it all then.

The big problem with the front Diff housing is that there is no access cover that I am aware if, it is a 2 piece design and has to be completely disassembled to get to the ring and pinion.

Large image

made the large image a link , the file size was acceptable, but the format was pretty big-HJ
[size=75]Thanks, CHRIS
2000 S10 Blazer 4x4 4Dr. -- 2" PA BodyLift, Daystar Shackles, TB Crank, 1.75" Rear wheel spacers, Yakima roofrack, 30" BFG AT's.
1969 VW Bug -- airbagged and in pieces.
1962 VW Karmann ghia -- rusting over in the corner. "That's not a tool--that's a damn brick!"[/size]
Dragonmaster
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Dragonmaster »

hook the pinion up to something that you can set the rpms on and then count how many thimes the outer shaft rotates in 5 minutes, then do the same for your existing one. If it spins more times, higher gear ratio, less times lower gear ratio. the only way of knowing for sure is to dissassemble it if you don't have the vin# or rpo code. Chances are thought that it is most likely a 3.42 if it was not custom ordered and it is a 4x4 non-z
[size=75]1 of 6 Wheatland Yellow Sonoma's in Canada

[url=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290324509]Truck Pics[/url][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Differential gearing identification?

Post by HenryJ »

adrenalnjunky wrote:Soes anyone know how to tell what gearing is in a stock front differential? Is there any indication on it at all?
There is a way.
It is easier for an axle that is mounted in the vehicle , but you should be able to determine the ratio with a little help from a friend.

Make a mark on the pinion yoke (where the driveshaft would attach) and a refrence point on the case. Now both axles must be engaged (4x4 locked in) for a front differential, then rotate both axles at the same speed and timing one revolution, while counting the number of times the pinion rotates. You must keep both axles turning at the same speed so thast the spidergears do not allow for an incorrect measurement. If it wasn't for that, or if you had a locker or posi you could just turn one axle and the other would rotate with it.
It is easy on a vehicle, you can just roll the vehicle in a straight line ,one revolution, while counting the number of rotations the driveshaft makes.

It should not be too hard to tell what ratio you have. If the pinion rotates just under three and a half times to one rotation of the axle,you have 3.42. If it rotates almost three and three quarters you have 3.73.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK