drive shaft issues

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

drive shaft issues

Post by sonoma »

took my truck in to get my ujoints replaced and mechanic had showed me that the yokes on the drive shaft have been damaged and now are bigger than it should be.....was told the ujoints need to be pressed in to the yokes but he showed me that you can simply slide them in and out. I have priced out a new drive shaft at 1800 and a used one for 450. I may be getting rid of this truck in the near future and dont want to sink this kind of money into it. Would there be a problem in just changing the ujoints with the over sized yokes or is there a chance the ujoints will let go. I would much rather just change the ujoints and drive around with a little vibration but only if it was safe to
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

$1800 new and $450 sounds off to me. Give Tom Woods a call tomorrow. I bet he could a new one built and at your door before Friday for cheaper than the used one. Another option would be to tack weld the caps to the yoke.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Oversize caps are not really going to be an option as it may create an imbalance, not to mention the risks related to the possible failure of that damaged yoke.
You are going to need to fix it right. I am sorry that it is going to be expensive. Do a little more shopping for a used shaft and I think you can find a little better price, even in Canada.
You might do as Reed suggested and see if a local shop can build a steel shaft to replace yours. I am not sure if S-10warehouse will ship to Canada, but they might be an ebay option.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

A quick search on E-Bay using "S10 Driveshaft" brought back 50 results with some starting as low as $50.

The extended cab S10 4x4's have the same frame and wheel base as the Crew Cab so the rear driveshaft should be the same, but I'm not 100% sure. :?:

If you find an S10 driveshaft that is too long you could have it shortened and re-balanced for less than $50 at most shops.

Steve
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

The extended cab S10 4x4's have A two peace shaft...
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
Transfercase vacuum switch change DO IT!!!
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jongo8 wrote:The extended cab S10 4x4's have A two peace shaft...
I do not know what you are calling a "two piece DS" but, the wheel base is one and the same. A DS from any extended cab S-10 '98-'04 w/AT will work. If, it doesn't then, I will reimburse sonomahis costs. :wink:
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

I have a 1997 sonoma ext cab out in the yard and it has a cairer bearing and with a front and back driveshaft in it. But I just found out it is a two wheel drive... Dumb me....
2002 GMC Sonoma crew cab 4x4. Tb mod, Air box mod, pre cat delete,B&M shift improver, Trans cooler, Big three ,AD-244 alt,Red top Optima, e-fan, HD Radaitor,265/70-16' on 16x8 TA wheels,, t-bar tweek, 1.5 inch shackles and 2 inch body lift,Skids fender trim, 1.5 inch wheel spacers in front and 2.5 in back, Quad mod and Frog lights.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The 4x4 shaft should be one piece. 2wd is longer since it does not have a transfercase.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Jongo8 wrote:.......... But I just found out it is a two wheel drive... Dumb me....
I am just as dumb! :lol: I did not specify 4 wheel drive and left myself wide open to losing that one.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I had a steel driveshaft built in March 07 for $307. They reused the yoke that goes into the transfer case and built the rest using Spicer yokes and u-joints. I am quite happy with it.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

i have found a drive shaft on ebay but its from a 01 jimmy 4 door 4x4
just wondering if this drive shaft would fit our trucks
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

Off the top of my head, I'd say no.
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

I have an 03 Blazer 4 door. It is a shorter wheel base than the crewcab. The driveshaft is not the same.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

i have called around and there is not a single drive shaft here in ontario but i have found one on ebay and here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/DRIVE-SHAFT-S10-S-10 ... 286.c0.m14

just wondering if this drive shaft will work on our trucks
Jongo88
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jongo88 »

This is a two peace drive shaft. It won't fit a crew cab.
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

dam it i was hoping it would fit

HELP ME i need a drive shaft
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

Don't know but would this one fit?

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw ... t=6028[url][/url]

Hope it helps.

Chris.
s10 again
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by s10 again »

:oops: posted wrong link. Try this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DRIVE-SH ... _856wt_958[/url]

Chris.
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

thanks for the link but before i go ahead and purchase this thing can anyone confirm that it will indeed fit our trucks