Went to local shop today

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Went to local shop today

Post by bradjh »

I want to run a few things by you guys.. I took it to my local shop who i trust to fix things when i do not know how or do not have the time... I went in to get my parking brake shoes replaced and of course they found a list of things.. First when i put the parking brake on and put it gear on level ground it holds.. on my hill of a drive way it does not with new shoes installed are they self adjusting? or should i take it back? They also said lower intake manifold gasket is starting to leak.. They also said i need sway bar links what are those and can i do them myself?? Also A hardware kit for front brakes anyone heard of that it does something like allows less movement for caliper maybe?? And i also had a front end rattle which they said was the idler arm and i had that replaced and now when i drive the truck it feels nice and tight when i turn is that normal.. i also got it realigned...

1.So tell me how you feel about parking brake holding on hill.. do your trucks??

2.Lower intake gasket??

3.Sway bar links?

4.Hardware kit?

5. Will idler arm replace create stiffer suspension/steering...

Thanks for all help so far...

Brad
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Re: Went to local shop today

Post by HenryJ »

bradjh wrote:...on my hill of a drive way it does not with new shoes installed are they self adjusting? or should i take it back?
You could. They are not self adjusting. To properly adjust them requires a large brake caliper. You use it to adjust for the proper air gap when released.
They also said lower intake manifold gasket is starting to leak.
Pretty common for Dex users
They also said i need sway bar links what are those and can i do them myself?
You can check out the threads on the energy suspension sway bar bushings.
Also A hardware kit for front brakes anyone heard of that it does something like allows less movement for caliper maybe?
Stuck slides would be my guess. clean and lube. If they are really bad then they may need replaced. There is a thread on that.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

1)Parking brake not self adjusting, needs to be adjusted properly, take it back.

2) you are running Dex welcome to the club of blown gaskets, pay to have it done $700 or so DIY 1 full weekend and $100, change to green coolant.

3) sway bar, would not expect the links to be bad, more likely the bushings replace with Energy Suspension poly bushing kit $40 or so easy fix (unless the links themselves are really bad).

4) Hardware kit, my guess is the caliper slide pins and boots are corroded and need to be replaced easy job if they come out PITA if they are seized.

5) Idler arm will make steering have less slop if there was a lot of play in it will feel more responsive with less movement of the wheel.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Dang I should have just waited a minute and quoted you verbatim.
At least it shows I have been paying attention all this time.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
bradjh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by bradjh »

where is idler arm crawled under front end looking for new part but did not see anything....
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Inside the right frame rail behind the front shield. You can see it with the oil door open.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
YellowCrewCabber
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by YellowCrewCabber »

2) you are running Dex welcome to the club of blown gaskets, pay to have it done $700 or so DIY 1 full weekend and $100, change to green coolant.

[/quote]I replaced mine myself. About an 8 hour job including flushing and draining cooling system. Intake manifold gaskets, new thermostat, distributor cap and rotor and two gallons of anti freeze. (the green stuff) Was under $70.
[size=75]04 ZR5 CC

Xbox Live Gamer Tag-Gefke6367[/size]
PATRICKH
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by PATRICKH »

I have replaced the hardware kit on mine. New slides, clips, seals for the slides. Not a big deal to do. I do it on my truck and my wifes car every other brake job.
[size=75]"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things"[/size]