4 wheel drive making weird noise.

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Redline

4 wheel drive making weird noise.

Post by Redline »

Well i looked but I did not find anything on here (I bet I missed it)Anyway when I put the truck in 4x4 the front end is making a strange "Wheeering" noise. I have been told it might be the CV joint to tansfer case low on fluid. I don't see any leakage in my garage, so I don't think that is it. You guys know your stuff so I am asking you. it really makes a lot of noise when I am slowing down. I had a 95 jimmy and don't remember it ever making that much noise.

Any ideas? Thanks guys.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

The transfercase can get low on fluid and not leak externally. Those with bad transfercase vacuum switches have had the fluid sucked into the HVAC control system.

I would check all the fluid levels first. Shake and pull while you are under there looking for anything that could be a source.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Redline

Post by Redline »

Thanks. Why is it always winter and close to Christmas when stuff like this happends? I will look tomorrow and see...I hope this will be a cheap and easy fix. But with my luck...this is gunna suck...lol.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I don't know your resources, but if you do not have the tools, will or place to work, you might pay one of those quick lube places to check everything. Watch them like a hawk. Tell them the front end has ELEVEN greasable zerks. Explain that you are most conserned about the condition of the joints , fluid levels , condition of the lubricants. Paying close attention to the transfercase and front differential.

Next time you test it see if you feel it in the steering wheel or seat.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Redline

Post by Redline »

Hmmmm...if I can get away with that for 60 bucks, that might be the way to go. Last time I did my brakes I tried to greese those zerks only to find it impossable to do with a normal grease gun...need one of the flex hose dealies. While I change my own oil and stuff like that it is about time anyway, so maybe this will work out just fine.

I never felt anything in the seat, however at times it feels strange in the steering wheel...like it wants to pull weird. It has also made a few "clunks" that did not sound very good. But that does not always happen.

Thanks again for the ideas,

G
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Read the thread on Lubing and Manuals. Swapping some of the zerks to 90 degree fittings makes them easier to service.

Save up some money for an alignment. They will check your ball joints and wheel bearings. It could be you have a wheel bearing going?

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Redline

Post by Redline »

HenryJ wrote:Read the thread on Lubing and Manuals. Swapping some of the zerks to 90 degree fittings makes them easier to service.

Save up some money for an alignment. They will check your ball joints and wheel bearings. It could be you have a wheel bearing going?
Pardon my ignorance, If it was a wheel bearing, would it not make a strange noise all the time?

I will read that thread...thanks.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You are probably right. I am fishing here. Sometimes when parts are under stress they tend to accentuate a problem. My wheel bearing only made noise when side loaded.

If you have not had an alignment in the last 20k miles, you are due. With the problems you are trying to solve, this is just one more step to look at.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
Redline

Post by Redline »

10-4. Thanks. I will start from there, and see how it goes.