CV boot question

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

CV boot question

Post by BobbleSmitty »

I noticed this past week that my truck is making a metal squeeling sound. At first I thought it was the U-Joints again, but that's not it. They were replaced last year and greased periodically. The noise comes from the front end. Everytime the truck sits for a while the noise is apparent when first driving it for about a half of a mile. The noise remains even if the breaks are applied. I did notice that in my passenger side top mounting point for the shock there was a nice amount of grease leading me to believe that the boot on the shaft below was losing some grease. If this is the case, would this cause any sort of squeeling noise? If not, what else should I be looking for? I jacked the truck up today and I don't think it's wheel bearings because the wheels don't shake at all, they don't sound like super swampers on the road/highway, and there isn't any vibration. The brakes seem fine because the wheels spin freely and the noise isn't apparent when spinning the tires while jacked up. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Crawl under and take a look. Is there a boot off or torn.? Is it dry inside, or is there still grease in there?

Usually CVs tend to knock rather than squeal. A clamp could rub , or a boot could rub and create a squeal perhaps.

I would look to a dragging brake, rock in a shield, stuck in 4wd or something else while you're under there.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

Does the squeel follow rpm's or does it seem to follow the vehicle speed?

The answer might help track down whether it is engine or drivetrain related or something else like wheel bearings, cv joints, etc.

Steve
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BobbleSmitty »

It's with the vehicle speed. It's like a rubbing metal/squeeling noise. Is it possible that the brakes are compressing and staying closed?
[size=75]2004 S-10 Crew Cab ZR5 -*SOLD*-2" PA Body Lift - Air Shocks - 30x9.5" Cooper Discoverer S/T tires - 1.25" Rear Spacers - Clear Bumper Lights - Westin Safari - Light Bar w/ 100watt 6" Lights - Custom Stainless Steel V-force Dual Exhaust w/ 3" Black Chrome Slash Cut Tips - CB radio w/ 100watt PA speaker - Alpine MP3/CD Player - 10" JL Sub w/ 300watt amp - Low Profile - 'TonneauMasters' Tonneau Cover - In-channel Vent Visors - Airbox mod - Custom Front Tow Hooks - Debadged [/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Sticky slide pins have been a brake problem.

Jack it up. Put it on stands and slide under to rotate a wheel and see if you can narrow it down.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BobbleSmitty
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: CV boot question

Post by BobbleSmitty »

BobbleSmitty wrote:The brakes seem fine because the wheels spin freely and the noise isn't apparent when spinning the tires while jacked up.
Possibly it could be slide pins, would they loosen up after a short time driving?
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Re: CV boot question

Post by killian96ss »

BobbleSmitty wrote:
BobbleSmitty wrote:The brakes seem fine because the wheels spin freely and the noise isn't apparent when spinning the tires while jacked up.
Possibly it could be slide pins, would they loosen up after a short time driving?
The slide pins freeze up from rust which prevents the caliper from floating side to side as it should to compensate for axle movement and slightly warped rotors.

When the pins seize up the brakes can "drag" which can make a squeeling sound.

Even if the pins are not seized you can still get the same sound from lack of lubrication when the pins rub metal to metal.

Get some "high temp synthetic brake caliper lube" (DO NOT use any other type of grease) and lube up those pins and see if the noise goes away.

Even if this is not your problem you are at least preventing a future problem from popping up which can lead to expensive repairs. :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK. So the thread is "CV Boot question"...So, what's the easiest way to change the inner boot? I've got the passenger side that rubbed through one of the seams and it makes a knocking noise when making a right hand turn at almost 80-90* turn into my lane. :?: Guess I have to pull that whole axle.... :twisted:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]