Grinding noise from transmission?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Batass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Grinding noise from transmission?

Post by Batass »

I hear a grinding noise only when the truck is in drive and I turn the wheel to the right, driving or sitting still. It will sometimes briefly go away on bumps and reappear. It sounds like its coming from the transmission area and only does it in drive, so I assume it is. Why it changes on bumps and when I turn the wheel, I dont know?????? Could it possibly be the frame is twisting enough to also twist the transmission slightly?

The sound sounds like scraping/scratching sheetmetal.

Any ideas?
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

That is a new one on me and I have read a lot about our trucks. Maybe a friend can stand outside of your truck when it is doing the noise thing? The turning right thing and coming from your transmission doesn't add up to me. Have you crawled underneath to look for things out of place? What speeds does this happen at? How sharp of a turn. Motor or tranny mount comes to mind but, the right hand turns blows that thought for me.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
MARBLEYARD
Crew
Crew

Post by MARBLEYARD »

I had the same thing happen to me when I blew out my rear end. Get it checked out, if you can already hear it, it's too late, but it WILL spread.
[size=75]’03 S10 CC, thule roof rack, brush guard, painted to match bowtie, running boards, and vent visors, ’56 “chevrolet” badge on tailgate, air box mod w/ K&N filter, Gibson cat back exhaust, 100% synthetic Mobil 1 since day 1, Kenwood deck, tow package, freedom grill [/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Are you sure its not the power steering pump? I know its not near the tranny but the sound could echo across the skid plates.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Batass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Batass »

Cant be the power steering, it only does it in drive. Not reverse park or neutral.
Its got nothing to do with the rear end because it will do it while Im sitting still also.
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Broken motor mount? This is a 4wd Crew correct? By your description of the sound I can only think of the fan blade hitting the shroud. a broken motor mount could make it do that in drive. If its 4wd I would engage it and see it the sound goes away. Have you checked the transfer case fluid and skid plates bolts? Also check the heat shield on the cat.
Last edited by BADs Crew on Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
Batass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by Batass »

I will check the shroud tomorrow, it was broke when i bought it and I replaced it......t-case fluid is good, it has a bad seal so im always putting fluid in it.