tranny?????

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

tranny?????

Post by sonoma »

ok here goes

when shifting from reverse to d i get a really loud click and i think the sound is coming from the rear and when accelerating from a stop i get that click sound again but louder and its continuous....almost seems like something is still engaged and when i looked under while i had my buddy switch from reverse to d i could see the drive shaft rotate a bit...is this normal?????
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Some slack in the rearend is normal.
Have you ever changed the rear differential fluid?
This might be a good time. Metal or water in the fluid could indicate a problem.
Do you have a G80 eaton govloc?

I have seen several of the fullsize with wear problems in the carrier side / axle gears. If you have an open carrier the spiders and axle gears could have excessive play.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

rear fluid diff fluid was just changed about 3 months ago and what the heck is that govloc thing
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

look at the list in your glove box. the RPO code G80 means you have a locking differential.

If the fluid looked good at that time, live with the slack.

If it had moisture, relocate the vent tube. If it had metallic get ready to replace some bearings and perhaps spiders.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

so you dont think it has anything to do with the tranny???
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Nope.
The clunk is the differential. The clicking may be a rock in the tread, something stuck in a rotor, a CV joint, or another thing I just remembered, perhaps a bad U-joint. That is another likely suspect.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
sonoma
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post by sonoma »

yeah i was suspecting the ujoint was bad because i was getting some vibration at highway speeds...didnt think it could cause a click when shifting gears though.....thanks for your help boss trucks going in the shop in a week so ill report back when its all said and done