Clicking Fuel Injectors

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Clicking Fuel Injectors

Post by BADs Crew »

I noticed a few days ago that off and on I would hear a loud clicking noise from under the hood. First I thought I had a exhaust leak at the manifold then it sounded more like the AC compresor was turning on and off like every min and staying on for like 20 or 30 sec.

Today after my ride home from work I got out at the mail box and when walking back to the truck I heard the noise start. Its not there all the time so I popped the hood to catch it while it was making the sound.

Now I don't know a lot about the fuel injection system on our trucks but the sound is coming from a unit just behind the center of the intake manifold. This sound was never there before and the truck runs great, Anyone have any thoughts on this one?
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
crew cab sonoma
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by crew cab sonoma »

the injectors on these engines are fairly well acoustically isolated inside the manifold.

what is common on these engines, is a slight ammount of valvetrain ticking.

not sure why, but it seems that alot of GM engines, most notably, the 3.8 Buicks, the 4.3 and LSx (GEN3) engines seen to have alot of minor vavletrain tick to them. perhaps it has something to do with the roller rockers, not certain about that.
seems to be harmless, though.
[size=75]Lee

01 Sonoma Crew Cab 2.21 60ft. 10.24 @ 66.5 mph (1/8mi.)(SOLD)
00 Sonoma Ext. Cab 4WD. front axle removed, Torsen diff. W4M pcm. 2.10 60ft. 9.64 @ 71.0 mph (1/8 mi.)[/size]
Jim

Post by Jim »

crew cab sonoma wrote:the injectors on these engines are fairly well acoustically isolated inside the manifold.

what is common on these engines, is a slight ammount of valvetrain ticking.

not sure why, but it seems that alot of GM engines, most notably, the 3.8 Buicks, the 4.3 and LSx (GEN3) engines seen to have alot of minor vavletrain tick to them. perhaps it has something to do with the roller rockers, not certain about that.
seems to be harmless, though.
Could the noise be a little backlash in the ballance shaft?
Best Regards, Jim
2004 Tahoe, Summit white, loaded up. 06 front air dam, wood interior trim, Shaved Roof Rack, Escalade rear vents, LED Tails, SLP dual cat back exhaust w/ Flowmaster 70 muffler, 20 inch 07 Sierra wheels.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

I have noticed that the crank case evacuation system and the EVAP purge solenoid make quite a bit of noise. If the throttle cable rests on the solenoid an annoying tapping noise will reverberate inside the cab.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

Its going to be in the 50s this weekend so I will poke around under the hood then. Thanks for the input.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

OK today the dealer found the clicking noise. The bearing in the distributer was shot to the point that the rotor was hitting the cap. 90,000 miles and things are starting to wear out. Whats next? :?:
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

What you are experiencing is what I have gone through with every GM vehicle I have owned. I just expect thing to start wearing out quickly when the odometer reaches 80-90k. You put a bunch of money in them then and then they seem to be fairly happy for the next 80k but they do cost more to keep running each year after that 80k mark.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]