Transmission slipping or engine surging

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Transmission slipping or engine surging

Post by Hog18Jags »

I have a 2001 crew cab and have been experiencing some transmission slippage or engine surging around 50 - 60 mph. It seems to shift through the gears correctly, but sometimes it acts like it is slipping out of gear and my rpms go up about 200 - 400 rpms. Is my transmission bad? Or something else. I bought the truck with 68,000 miles on it and it now has 81,500. I don't know if the transmission fluid/filter has been changed. I know I have not done it. Could a stopped up filter be my problem? Thanks for any help.
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

It doesn't sound like the filter is your problem unless the filter tube seal is bad and air is being sucked into the system. :?:

I would change the filter and install a new seal (it should come with the filter) and replace the necessary amount of ATF which I think is around 4-5 quarts. :wink:

When you drop the pan check and see if the fluid is very dark or smells burnt and look at the magnet in the bottom of the pan for excessive metal shavings.

There should be some metal material on the magnet (it usually looks kind of fuzzy), but there should be nothing that looks like large pieces of metal shavings.

If the fluid smells burnt or if it is very dark then you should probably have the tranny rebuilt before the clutches go out completely and leave you stranded somewhere. :(

To me it sounds like the TCC (torque converter clutch) is going bad or you just have a bad lock up solenoid. :? I do reserve the right to be completely wrong though! :lol:

BTW, the filter seal can be a real pain to remove sometimes. :roll: Just thought I would give you the heads up on that one. :wink:

Steve
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

My 01 did that so I took it into the dealer for a power flush and fluid change. I haven't had a problem since.
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

If you decide to do the fluid/filter change yourself, you'll need to loosen and move the crossmember to drop the pan. Trust me, I learned the hard way. It looks like there is just enough room in between the pan lip and the cross member, but there is not. I ended up "nudging" the electronic shift control mechanism when dropping the pan without moving the crossmember causing me to break the shifting control and only have three gears to drive in, ( 2, 3 and reverse). Good Luck.
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:If you decide to do the fluid/filter change yourself, you'll need to loosen and move the crossmember to drop the pan. ...
Actually it will come off without damaging anything and without loosening the crossmember. Somewhat like a Chinese puzzle there is only one solution. Use finesse. A prybar is not used for this task. Transmission service

The transmission service is a good idea, and overdue I am sure.

Check ignition components too though. I picked up a very noticeable mid range surge at cruise speeds when trying the Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Hog18Jags
Regular
Regular

Post by Hog18Jags »

Thanks for all of the replys.....I think I will start with a transmission fluid and filter change and go from there. I know it is probably due for one anyway.
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

HenryJ wrote:Use finesse. A prybar is not used for this task. Transmission service
I know I'm slightly :offtopic: , but I definitely did not use a pry bar, bang on, etc., etc. (By the way, no offense taken HJ, just explaining myself, :wink: ) In "finessing" the pan out, the front of the pan loosened and slid. The frontal movement of the pan caused the rear of the pan to tap/hit the electrical shift mechanism (or whatever it was). :!: I thought I could slip the pan out with the approx. 1/4" gap without moving the crossmember, but I now know I will not be lazy in the future. :thumb: I'll just move the crossmember to allow plenty of room and take no chances. The service tech that fixed my mistake even said moving the crossmember makes it so much easier. :wink:
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

I've done 2 transmission filter changes on my 01 CC and both times I was able to drop the pan without loosening the x-member or damaging the solenoids. :wink: I agree with Brule though that it does take a little patience and finesse. :wink:

Steve
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

WVHogRider wrote:
HenryJ wrote:...A prybar is not used for this task. Transmission service
... I definitely did not use a pry bar, bang on, etc., etc.
I was pretty sure you didn't. Another member did though. The jab :poke: was intended for him :lol: His was loaded on a roll back and taken to the dealership for another "learning experience" if I recall correctly.

I have had mine off three times as well as doing several others without moving the crossmember. Once you figure it out the first time it really is easy and clears everything just fine.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

OK. I'll reconsider having to move it when I do my filter & fluid this spring, (at 82K right now, last tranny filter/fluid done at 35K). :wink:
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

WVHogRider wrote:OK. I'll reconsider having to move it when I do my filter & fluid this spring, (at 82K right now, last tranny filter/fluid done at 35K). :wink:
:shock: You're already 17k miles overdue for that oil and filter change! :poke: :wink:

Steve
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

killian96ss wrote:
WVHogRider wrote:OK. I'll reconsider having to move it when I do my filter & fluid this spring, (at 82K right now, last tranny filter/fluid done at 35K). :wink:
:shock: You're already 17k miles overdue for that oil and filter change! :poke: :wink:

Steve
:moon: I know. :wink: I'd do it now, but it's been around 0°s outside for the past couple weeks, with a high of about 10 to 20°. :crazy: I'm definitely not doing it any time soon.