How do I remove the front rotors?

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

jajwrigh
Crew
Crew

How do I remove the front rotors?

Post by jajwrigh »

I am in the process of replacing pads, rotors, and greasing caliper slide pins. What fits the nut in the center of the rotor?? I have bought large sockets and wrenches and nothing works! What size is it and what tool will remove it the easiest? Please help me guys, I am loosing my mind.
[size=75]2004 Zr5[/size]
Jigg
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Jigg »

You don't need to take the nut off to remove the rotor... you probably have the small clips still on the studs, you'll have to pull them off with needlenose pliers or something.
[size=75][url=http://www.synergyoffroad.com]Synergy Offroad[/url][/size]
JaVeRo
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by JaVeRo »

Due to rust and dust you may have to beat on it with a rubber hammer.

James
2001 S10 Crew (wife's mail truck)
2002 S10 Crew, 2003 S10 Blazer
2006 K2500 5 speed
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

You can also use a brass/bronze punch and give it a good whack between the wheel studs to help loosen it from the hub.

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

JaVeRo wrote:Due to rust and dust you may have to beat on it with a rubber hammer.

James
Rubber hammer? If you're takin' em off to replace with new rotors, you can beat on 'em with whatever you have handy. :wink:
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
WVHogRider
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by WVHogRider »

You probably already know this and/or are done with the job, but just in case.

Remove brake fluid reservoir lid, Remove caliper, (the two slide bolts), leave old brake pad on piston side of caliper in caliper and use C clamp to push caliper piston in, remove caliper mount bracket, (two bolts), remove the two tension washer/nuts that screw on to two of the lug studs. I use a flat screwdriver to basically work it back off the stud. If the rotor has seized on and since you are replacing it, either beat all around the stud face plate ( face, top and sides) to work it loose or utilized some Nut Buster and a hammer to remove it. Clean area and new rotor with brake cleaner, and reinstall in reverse order. The two washer/nuts that hold the rotor on can be flattened back out, if they get bent up, with the hammer and a flat surface.

Anyone can correct me I'm mistaken in something, and yes, hammers are a vital tool in all work that I do. :wink:
[size=75]'01 CC w/ a bunch of Mods. More always on the way.
Realization...All women need medication...Just find one on the right medication & make sure she stays on it!!!![/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Don't forget to change as much fluid as possible with new, and Steve recommends opening the bleed screws to prevent debris in the fluid from being pushed back into the ABS system.

"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
- ThunderII KE7CSK
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

WVHogRider wrote: ...leave old brake pad on piston side of caliper in caliper and use C clamp to push caliper piston in...

$6.88 @ Advance Auto Parts. And worth every penny :D
[size=67][i]"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs."[/i][/size]
2kwik4u
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by 2kwik4u »

First time I've seen one of those tools.....WAY better than my size 58 C-clamp!!!
[size=75][url=http://picasaweb.google.com/2kwik4u]2kwik4u's pics[/url][/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

When pushing the piston back into the caliper,it's a good idea to open the bleeder screw as you push the piston in. I neglected to do this step one time, and it cost me $700.00 to replace the abs assembly. I was given this information by the service manager where I had the module replaced.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
kwalsh
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by kwalsh »

I had to beat the he!! out of the rotor with a BFH.
[size=75]"Pain = weakness leaving the body."[/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

kwalsh wrote:I had to beat the he!! out of the rotor with a BFH.
Thats how I've seen it done. :evil: :shock: :lol:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
rlrnr53
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by rlrnr53 »

16 lb. sledge hammer comes to mind.
[size=75]Mitch
2001 Polo Green Metallic, no mods,(can't afford any)[/size]
killian96ss
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by killian96ss »

rlrnr53 wrote:16 lb. sledge hammer comes to mind.
:shock: Wow, that's a big hammer!!!! :lol: :thumb:

Steve
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

Holy chit!ImageIf I had used a 16lb sledge to loosen the rotors when I had to remove them to replace the broken studs I would have knocked the truck clean off the jack stands and destroyed the entire front axle. I think a 5 lb hammer is more than enough persuasion to get the job done.
How important are the locking disks? I had to chisel mine off due to rust and didn't bother to replace them.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]
F9K9
Mod K Elite
Mod K Elite

Post by F9K9 »

04crewvt wrote: How important are the locking disks? I had to chisel mine off due to rust and didn't bother to replace them.
Not important at all. Calibers will hold it on the studs when the wheel is off.
[size=75][b]"For those who have fought for it, [i][color=red]FR[/color][color=white]EE[/color][color=blue]DOM[/color][/i] has a taste that the protected will never know."
[url=http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73349]GUIDE TO SEARCHING. [i] (Some of the forum software is different but, it has helped me a lot.)[/i][/url][/b]
[b]"Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it." Edmund Burke[/b][/size]
BADs Crew
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by BADs Crew »

f9k9 wrote:
04crewvt wrote: How important are the locking disks? I had to chisel mine off due to rust and didn't bother to replace them.
Not important at all. Calibers will hold it on the studs when the wheel is off.
I think the rust pretty much holds them on if you need a 16lb sledge hammer to get them off later. :lol: :lol:
[size=75]2001 S-10 Crew , A.R.E Cap, Limo tint windows, Halogen Back up lights. Bilstein Shocks, 1.5 Rear Spacers, Summit Rear Diff Cover Clear Bumper Lights, Carbon Altezza Tail Lights, Billet Grill. SS Step Bars. GM full front bra. ,,, GM Quote concerning the gurgling heater core " They all sound like that"[/size]
barch97
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by barch97 »

This 16lbs sledge story reminds me of removing my REAR rotors. The parking brake shoe wears a groove into the inside drum portion of the rear disk and the shoe ring gets stuck behind the lip it creates.

If the fronts are needing that much persuasion, there's something terribly wrong. Beating on it with a 16 lb sledge will surely only make matters MUCH worse.
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

04crewvt wrote:...How important are the locking disks?
Not at all. They are just a left over from the assembly process. These keep the rotors from falling off as it is assembled.

- ThunderII KE7CSK
04crewvt
Crew K Elite
Crew K Elite

Post by 04crewvt »

I am glad to here that I thought they were "pocket parts" when I removed them and I was right.
[size=75]Why does the universe decree that if you have all the time in the world to work on projects you have no money and vice versa?
Green 2004 ZR-5 w/ too much to list here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2296465[/size]