Changing Front Differential fluid

Anything related to the stock drivetrain, engine, transmission, axles, wheels...

Moderator: F9K9

Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Changing Front Differential fluid

Post by Steve2003 »

Now that I got my rear done... what about the front...I have had my belly pan off and the superlift skid plate off for about two months as I was having work done...now I'm ready to put every thing back on but I thought what about changing the front differential fluids....how do I do this? Help!!!
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
gocntry
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Re: Changing Front Differential fluids

Post by gocntry »

Steve2003 wrote:Now that I got my rear done... what about the front...I have had my belly pan off and the superlift skid plate off for about two months as I was having work done...now I'm ready to put every thing back on but I thought what about changing the front differential fluids....how do I do this? Help!!!
The Front Is Easy Compared To The Rear, I Just Did Mine.... The Are 2 Bolts In The Diff, The Bottom Is The Drain & The Top Is The Fill. I Dont Remember Right Off Hand How Much It Takes, Owners Manual Will Tell Ya. I Used Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube In Mine.
The Crew Is Gone, Now I Have A Hoe
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

Front Axle (1.2 liters) 1.27 quarts

Rear Axle-7.625 (1.7 liters) 1.8 quarts

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK
Steve2003
Crew Elite
Crew Elite

Post by Steve2003 »

Cool, thanks for the info guys :D

According to what I gather the axles get the 80/90

Edited-HJ
[size=75][color=blue]2003 S-10 crew cab[/color][/size]
[size=75][color=red]6in superlift[/color][/size]
HenryJ
Admin K Elite
Admin K Elite

Post by HenryJ »

GM Data wrote:Front and Rear Axle Standard Differential Axle Lubricant (GM P/N 1052271) or SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear Lubricant

Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant, use only GM Part No. 12345977 (in Canada use Part No. 10953482). Do Not add friction modifier
The owners manual lists: Front and Rear Axle (Standard Differential) SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 1052271 or equivalent) and Rear Axle (Locking, Differential) Axle Lubricant; use only GM Part No. 1052271 Do Not add friction modifier

"Speed doesn't kill, suddenly becoming stationary does." - Richard Hammond
"Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-Mechanic from Mad Max-
If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
- ThunderII KE7CSK